Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try machine weights progress to free weights? page

Deo
    Deo is offline Member

Try machine weights progress to free weights?

Shop Now
    Been eating PB since September and looking to embrace more of the lifestyle, specifically heavy lifting. Been wildly inspired by Strong Is The New Skinny blog and various strong women here.

So I am checking out local gym again tomorrow and already feeling intimidated at the prospect. The gym is divided into 2 huge rooms: 1) machine lifting/cardio machines and 2) heavy lifting with a few really big ass machines thrown in. There is a huge gender divide between the two rooms as you can imagine. Maybe this isn't the place for me but it is convenient and I get a discount on membership.

Any thoughts on easing into the weight room culture?
    Has anyone been here and how did they work through it?

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Don't be intimidated! Walk right into the free weight side and do your thing.Those "meat heads" are generally too wrapped up in how much weight they are they are moving that day to worry ab out you. And if any of them do "bother" you then they are obviously there for other reasons beyond lifting. Besides, you pay to use the gym right? So you have every right to use all of it.What you probably will find, though, if you approach one of them is that they are approachable and will generally help others learn how to get big.There are a few assholes out there though, no lying. So, just gauge who they are by what they say to you&how they act.w
    Also...don't waste too much time right now on mahines. They aren't as good as free weights for growing muscle because they do the work of balancing the weight for your. You need to train your muscles to do that on their own.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    like nachobrawler says, i find that most of the men are quite helpful. . . however they do seem intimidating. free weights are the way to go for me anyway. good luck!

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Most people don't know what the hell they are doing - so try not to copy them. LOL

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    When I first invaded the free weight area of the Y about 5 years ago it was definitely "man" territory, and I was extremely self-conscious of being watched. (Which wasn't paranoia; they really WERE keeping an eye on me.) But men have a huge weakness; ask for help and they'll start falling all over each other for the honor.

There were a few really grumpy old farts who took a while getting used to having their territory invaded; they eventually got over it.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    If you're really nervous/worried/paranoid about doing things incorrectly, hurting yourself, etc. you might want to work with a trainer in the beginning. Hopefully there are a few decent trainers at your gym.

But if not, like the rest have said, just dive in and give it a shot. You'll learn by doing, just like everyone else.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Deo
    Deo is offline Member
    Thanks all, will work up some nerve and try 'the other room'. I am sure they are pussycats under all that scowling. Al, thanks for brining that up, they do have a list of trainers you can choose from, for a fee. I hadn't quite gone there in my head but it is a great idea.

Will tap my inner Amazon and get some guts. Tomorrow it is!

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deo View Post
    Thanks all, will work up some nerve and try 'the other room'. I am sure they are pussycats under all that scowling. Al, thanks for brining that up, they do have a list of trainers you can choose from, for a fee. I hadn't quite gone there in my head but it is a great idea.

Will tap my inner Amazon and get some guts. Tomorrow it is!
    Alternatively, Deo, do you have a friend or family member or co-worker interested in starting lifting? If so, you could team up with them to learn and best of all....they are free. I would really hate for you to have to spend money on something you can learn for free from online or friends...and certainly from someone in the know there. As dragonmamma said...most experienced men would LOVE to help a newby. If you really got your courage up...you could ask one of them...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Deo
    Deo is offline Member
    Trying to talk my other half into coming with but no dice so far. Fact finding today, look around and make an appointment for an orientation. If I get lucky they will have time to show me proper form on the few lifts I am interested in during the orientation. Would be wildly relieved to see another woman there.....

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    And if you decide not to join right now, the free PB Fitness pdf (link on the sticky at the top of the Fitness Forum) is a great bodyweight workout you can do at home. Once you get your confidence up, you'll be able to relax & walk into any gym you want.

I used to be a gym rat, but prefer bodyweight work now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast