Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat page

emilyemiliemilu is offline Junior Member

Meat

Primal Fuel
    I started PB about 25 days ago and I am failing miserably. I haven't been able to get past the first week. I am developing a very unhealthy relationship with food and I don't seem to know what to do. My two biggest struggles right now are cravings for sweet things and meat. The first one is obvious and easily repairable, but the second one has been more difficult to understand and fix. I have developed an aversion to chicken in the last month. Just the thought of putting chicken in my mouth makes me gag. I have also started to dislike eggs...to the point where I just can't stand to eat them in the morning. I choke them down. I also need recipes that don't take long to prepare (I have 3 kids and work full time) but are filling and satisfying. I also need help with selecting meats that won't make me gag. I fear I may have to give this up completely if I don't get help soon.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    What type of chicken are you eating? Chicken breasts are boring as all hell. Do you eat chicken thighs at all?
    What about beef, pork, fish, offals, etc? What do you put in your eggs or at least eat with the eggs?
    I used to follow a bodybuilding way of life and it was painfully boring food wise. Since starting Primal (about 3 months ago now) I have gone back to cooking delicious foods and still losing body fat. I also make 90% of my food for the week on Sundays and just store it in the fridge or freezer for later.
    Do you use any recipes?

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    What is it about meat that you don't like? It might help in giving some advise.

emilyemiliemilu is offline Junior Member
    I am eating chicken breast or chicken tenders. I really don't like meat that has tendons or fat, therefore I eat mostly lean chicken and beef (filet mingnon is my fave!) I am willing to try other meat (including chicken thighs) but I don't know how to prepare them (I am not the greatest cook in the world, but am willing to try try try just to make it!) I like some fish, but again, I don't know how to prepare to make it taste good. I usually just use a quick seasoning on my meat (montreal is my fave!), but that gets old quick. I have the PB cookbook but don't have lots of time to make the recipes as most of them take quite a while to prepare. I don't, by any means, think this will be easy and am not looking for a quick fix, but this stumbling block is a big one...

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    I cook lots of big roasts, beef, buffalo, and pork. If I cook chickens, I pick big roasters and slow cook them. This way of preparing meat leaves me with lots of leftovers. You can eat the leftovers for breakfast. I also make soups and stews with the leftovers. I haven't cook any other ruminant roast.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I toss chicken thighs in the crock pot with an onion, some (lots) of garlic, and about 1/3 to 1/2 up the side of water (I do about 4 pounds of thighs at a time - that's what they sell in the grocery store here). Leave it on high for about 4 hours. I use a meat thermometer to check them. I put them in a flat container in the fridge to cool overnight, then shred them the next day, leaving out the bones and the skin/most of the fat. I put them in freezer bags in portions that'll work for 1 or two meals for me.

Lunch today? Shredded chicken thighs sauteed in coconut oil, with a bit of barbeque sauce for flavor, plus half an avocado.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

tarek is offline Senior Member
    This is probably the easiest way to prepare any meat:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degress.
    2. Use a shallow baking pan or dish. Coat the pan with olive oil, using your fingers to spread it.
    3. Liberally add ground black pepper, dried Italian seasoning, and high quality salt to the pan.
    4. Place your cut of meat on top of this mixture.
    5. Use a spoon to spread more olive oil over the top of the meat, coating it entirely. You can also spread some balsamic vinegar over the meat for even more flavor, but this isn't necessary.
    6. Add more black pepper, Italian seasoning, and salt to the top of the meat.
    7. Let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, and place in the oven.

Poultry: usually takes about 30-45 minutes, and goes best with cuts of meat that still have the skin on. To check if it's done, make a cut in the meat -- if the juice runs clear, it's done. Thicker cuts of meat will take closer to 45 minutes, whereas thinner cuts will take closer to 30. I usually use two chicken thighs, but I've used chicken breasts and turkey thighs, too.

Fish: usually takes about 20-30 minutes. To check if the fish is done, lightly poke the fillet with a fork and gently twist -- if it flakes easily, it's done.

Red meat: really depends on the thickness of the meat and how well you like it done. A cut of meat about one inch thick will usually take about 15 minutes to be cooked medium/medium rare. Here's a good chart: http://www.askthemeatman.com/images/...levels30kb.gif

Also, Italian seasonings usually consist of some mixture of the following herbs and spices: oregano, basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, red bell pepper, garlic, onion powder, chives, black pepper, tarragon, etc.

Hope that helped! :]
    Last edited by tarek; 03-04-2011 at 11:23 AM.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Yes, its an unhealthy relationship with food when you "choke down" things you don't like. If you don't like eggs, or they make you feel ill....don't eat them. Ditto with chicken. Canned tuna, sardines, shrimp, fish, ground beef-turkey-buffalo-pork, steaks, duck, greek yogurt, cheese....there are all sorts of other things to eat.
    Eggs are an allergenic food; I started feeling nauseated when I ate them, then was diagnosed w/an egg allergy.

Just because a food is primal, doesn't mean that it HAS to be part of your diet.

There are a lot of recipes out there for low carb meals. If its only been a few weeks, just give yourself time to learn some new cooking skills. I don't think primal is about "failing" or "succeeding." Its about properly nourishing your body, for optimal health. Good luck!!

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I cook lots of big roasts, beef, buffalo, and pork. If I cook chickens, I pick big roasters and slow cook them. This way of preparing meat leaves me with lots of leftovers. You can eat the leftovers for breakfast. I also make soups and stews with the leftovers. I haven't cook any other ruminant roast.
    What cut of beef do you recommend for a roast? Something that is tasty cooked rare. Thanks!

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    There is a really simple answer;

If you dont like chicken or eggs, then don't eat them. It isn't the 'Chicken and Eggs diet'. So eat other meats. If the thought of that makes you gag and you don't like meat at all, then consider Veganism. Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast