Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull up machine? page

Darbbb is offline Member

Pull up machine?

I am about to start PBF, and I think for pull-ups the self-assessment is probably going to put me at the "one foot on chair" level. I am wondering if it might work as well, or better, to use the pullup machine at the gym. That way, I can see each workout how much weight I require to offset. Has anyone here used that method?

stewie97 is offline Member
    i have, but I noticed with the pull up machine you don't get near the natural movement, and not near as much of your core is engaged. I've been meaning to try using a workout band for assistance.

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    I think your best bet is to get a standard pull-up bar, mount it, and put your foot on a chair, just like PBF suggests. That's how I did it, and it improved my pull-up performance within two weeks. I'm not a superman at pull-ups--not by any stretch of the imagination--but I'm getting better quickly.

Negative pull-ups also improve overall pull-up capability, too.

Cheers!
    Kane

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree with the other posters--a pull up machine is no replacement for a pull up bar. you can do the assisted pull ups with a chair, and it probably won't take you too long to build up the strength you need to do unassisted pull ups. just do them as often as you can (which means doing extra than what mark has in PBF).
    once you can do one unassisted pull up, try something called grease the groove, where you do repeated sets of one pull up. that will make you stronger...a lot stronger.

Darbbb is offline Member
    Thanks guys, I can actually already do unassisted pullups, but not enough to be at level 4 in PBF. I can do about 4-5 pullups, maybe 6-7 chinups.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darbbb View Post
    Thanks guys, I can actually already do unassisted pullups, but not enough to be at level 4 in PBF. I can do about 4-5 pullups, maybe 6-7 chinups.
    definitely try grease the groove. that will help get your numbers up. do 10 sets of 1 rep...and do it as often as you like.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    First off, welcome to the wonderful world of pull-ups! They're my favorite exercise!

I wrote an article about learning to do a pull-up in which I specifically address why Gravitrons and other pull-up machines are no good.

Btw, does anyone else think the phrase "pull-up machine" is kind of an oxymoron?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post

Btw, does anyone else think the phrase "pull-up machine" is kind of an oxymoron?
    not unless someone's using it to describe you

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    not unless someone's using it to describe you
    Haha - thanks! Ya got me!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you want some pull-up motivation you have to watch this guy. He is pretty famous on the internet for his pull-up exercises. He is incredible and I haven't seen anyone that can do what he does.

YouTube - HANNIBAL FOR KING
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast