Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Harmless' carbs? page

Paulicus is offline Junior Member

'Harmless' carbs?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

I was diagnosed as having coeliac disease near the end of last year and immediately stopped eating anything with gluten in it (grains!) and went fully primal at New Year.

I was underweight (a bit) before starting owing to the coeliac disease and resultant malabsorption (long held 84 Kg down to 76 Kg) and, perhaps unsurprisingly, have continued to lose weight since starting a (fairly) strict primal diet. Am now at 73 Kg.

Bearing in mind the carb - glucose - insulin response cycle I'm very wary about eating too many carbs - eat LOTS of vegetables (but not potatoes) but nothing else in the way of carbs/sugar.

I guess that increased carb intake is the only way of getting modest weight gain (back to 80+ Kg)?

If so, what is the 'least evil' way of doing so without incurring the spikes/troughs of insulin response?

What foods would you suggest?

People have been really helpful when I've posted here before, so thanks in advance for your replies!

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatos are pretty gentle insulin wise, and butter and cinnamon on it will bring the GI even lower. Also look up some low GI fruit like apples and berries

shrona is offline Member
    Do you suffer ill effects when eating carbs? A lot of people seem to do fine eating sweet potato, parsnips, and even some peeled white potatoes or rice. Dairy products are supposed to be good for gaining if you are not lactose sensitive. If you are interested in upping your carbs, just do it in a controlled way so you can determine what effect it has on you (i.e. don't add a full meal of just starchy veggies, rice, and milk, try adding one food and determine the effect over a few days.) Otherwise, there are some super high calorie recipes that don't have carbs that would probably be healthy. I know Robb Wolf has talked about a 1000 calorie omelette and 1000 calorie curry, that I am sure are low-carb, but good for gaining. Let me know if you want me to point you in the direction to find those. Good luck!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    Sweet potatos are pretty gentle insulin wise, and butter and cinnamon on it will bring the GI even lower. Also look up some low GI fruit like apples and berries
    I wouldnt just say you had to increase carbs to gain weight. Increased protein over what you need to maintain your current body mass can also be gluconeogenic. Have you tried weight training and a mass building program centered around getting enough protein?

Also, I would ask...what's with the focus on weight? Who cares what you weigh....its how you look and feel. I would imagine you aren't interested in gaining body fat, right? So, you may want to investigate how to build bigger/more muscles...thereby gaining weight...and losing body fat.

The best way I have found to do that is to live PB and ensure you eat enough protein in your diet to be anabolic. To avoid spikes in blood sugar you will want to limit your carb intake (and avoid stuff like grains & refined sugars altogether). But you may want to eat more low carb fruits with your protein & fats & carbs from veggies. It enough total calories to support your maintenance needs for your body mass. Target consuming 1.0-1.5 gms of protein per lbs of body weight (using your ideal lean body mass not what it is currently) every day.

And then to make new & bigger muscles you will need to lift heavy weights several times a week.Hard, intense, work outs that are quick (ideally around 60 minutes or less). And get good sleep (8 hrs a night minimum). If you do this...you WILL make bigger & more muscles. Promise...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Thanks for the quick responses.

@shrona - I don't think I get any ill effects from eating carbs per se. I have totally avoided dairy up until three days ago however - lactose intolerance is very common in newly diagnosed coeliacs until the gut has had time to heal (which, for me, could well be about now) and the symptoms of lactose intolerance if you eat dairy are mainly bloating and belching; these happen to be just about the only remaining 'coeliac symptoms' left since switching to the primal way of living.

@milkycereal - I eat a piece of fruit a day, usually an apple. Can't wait to gorge on berries but obviously can't get anything remotely local for a few months yet! I guess two pieces of fruit a day might be a good move?

@nachobrawler - No, of course I don't want to get fat. But I do want SOME bodyfat - I'm too thin and gaunt at the moment; bony is a kind description! Exercisewise, I do loads of hill walking and Bikram yoga but almost no hardcore weight training (used too but haven't been inside a gym for a few years).

The other thing that may be relevant in explaining the bloating/belching issue (that can sometimes result in feeling a bit short of breath) is lack of probiotics. Of course, no dairy means no Greek yoghurt etc and I guess the only source of probiotics is the veg. Any ideas for a good supplement? Will continue trying the yoghurt/kefir over the next few days!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    If you like the idea of kefir you could try water kefir which just grows in sugary water. I'm too carb sensitive to drink it mind you, but I eat the grains and give the liquid to the rest of the family. For probiotics I use the Holland and Barrett ones, they're on offer at the moment, if you buy a "healthy" mag you get a coupon so you can get the 21 jar for about 12.

I'm celiac too though I gained a huge amount of weight while I was ill so I have the opposite issue. I am working on gut healing, I've started taking L-glutamine for that.

As for carbs- potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips etc.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulicus View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses.

@shrona - I don't think I get any ill effects from eating carbs per se. I have totally avoided dairy up until three days ago however - lactose intolerance is very common in newly diagnosed coeliacs until the gut has had time to heal (which, for me, could well be about now) and the symptoms of lactose intolerance if you eat dairy are mainly bloating and belching; these happen to be just about the only remaining 'coeliac symptoms' left since switching to the primal way of living.

@milkycereal - I eat a piece of fruit a day, usually an apple. Can't wait to gorge on berries but obviously can't get anything remotely local for a few months yet! I guess two pieces of fruit a day might be a good move?

@nachobrawler - No, of course I don't want to get fat. But I do want SOME bodyfat - I'm too thin and gaunt at the moment; bony is a kind description! Exercisewise, I do loads of hill walking and Bikram yoga but almost no hardcore weight training (used too but haven't been inside a gym for a few years).

The other thing that may be relevant in explaining the bloating/belching issue (that can sometimes result in feeling a bit short of breath) is lack of probiotics. Of course, no dairy means no Greek yoghurt etc and I guess the only source of probiotics is the veg. Any ideas for a good supplement? Will continue trying the yoghurt/kefir over the next few days!
    I would and do recommend weinght training and PB dieting with more nuts and fruits for you.Additionally, get 1.5grams of protein per lb of desired lean body mass. Work your ass off in the gym or at home lifting and sleep. You will grow muscle and limit body fat.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    Insuline "spikes" are not evil, it's digestion. Chronically elevated levels of insulin are evil.
    Word.

If you don't have problems with glucose/insulin metabolism, and you're actually trying to GAIN weight, I think eating more carbs in the form of potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes, etc., would not harm you. Above >100g carbohydrates a day for sure, but it's hard to get there without adding some starch and some fruit. I also concur with recommendations for dairy and protein.

Horsewoman - yes, I'm taking L-glutamine as well and for the same reason - gut healing. Don't know if it's working (about ten weeks so far) but SOMETHING is - probably a combination of things, but definitely better now then last year. I'll look at the H+B website re probiotics and also at DIY kefir!

imasin - thanks - it seems a bit more low GI fruit and some more root veg (inc sweet potatoes, parsnips and squashes) is the way to go!

Will also try to up the dairy intake significantly.

As for the gym - often it's time that's the problem. The yoga takes 1.5 hours a day (several days a week) and does help build muscle but, granted, not in the same way as upper body weight training!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast