Thread: Primal Pregnancy Diet page

primalawyer is offline Junior Member

Primal Pregnancy Diet

Shop Now
    Does anyone have a primal pregnancy eating plan that they wouldn't mind sharing with me? I am just about 5.5 weeks now and am looking for a primal diet that will provide the nutrients I need while pregnant and keep me in track to prevent binging and excessive weight gain.

It's really important to me to have the healthiest baby/pregnancy possible!

ETA: I am taking a prenatal, and extra folic acid, omega-3, vit d and calcium

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Eat per the Primal Blueprint.
    Make sure your vitamin D is sufficient.
    Eat sufficient protein 20-25% of total calories (as a guide)
    Make sure you are getting sufficient Omega 3, magnesium, iron and folic acid.
    Eat when you are hungry and if nauseous, try to eat frequently.
    Stave off grain/sugar cravings with more fat or protein. (dairy is great , if it works for you)
    Enjoy your food!

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    The Primal Diet should serve you just fine, actually. Just be mindful to have a colorful plate making sure you are eating through all the colors of natural food on a regular basis.

This is what I tried to follow back in the day with my first baby. The Brewer Pregnancy Diet
    I would skip the whole grains and stick to the greens, veggies, and sweet potatoes.

Wishing you the best during your pregnancy!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    How much D are you taking? Really best to get your levels checked and supplement accordingly.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Read Nina Planck's Real Food books.

Good stuff!!! Make sure to eat extra greens and add good fat to all your veggies.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I think eating more offal and soap made with homemade bone broth would help.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Nina Planck's Mother/Baby book. I followed that, and after a crazy midwife harping on the Brewer Diet, her advice was sensible and not stressful. I also want to stress- pay close attention to your body, and follow your cravings. In my experience, the first trimester was the time I craved the junk the most (mostly food from when I was a kid- chicken nuggets, handi-snacks, cheddar cheese on white bread, and McChicken sandwiches)- the funny thing is, when I indulged the craving, it went away, and I didn't want it anymore. Other stuff I ate to keep the morning sickness in check: celery and pineapple, salmon salad with nut thins, um... I can't remember. Second trimester was all about the beef. I wasn't primal, so I had a ton of roast beef sandwiches, burgers and steaks- and I would sometimes buy two sandwiches, and stick the filling for one inside the other- I needed LOTS of beef. By the third trimester, I had no appetite, and since it was summer I had watermelon to keep my swelling down, and potatoes covered in cheese and sour cream. I'm not telling you to eat this way, because I'm sure I can improve on it for next time, but I can see the wisdom in each thing I chose. I ate small bits frequently in the first trimester, LOTS of red meat in the second- WAY more food than I'm used to eating, and carby stuff in the third (was I carb loading for birth? Adding fat to the baby? I don't know.) But I listened to what my body wanted, and I didn't restrict anything. I gained a healthy 30 or so lbs, and weighed less after the birth than I did when I started the pregnancy.

KellyS is offline Member
    I am 26 weeks pregnant. When I began this pregnancy I had been following a Paleo with some diary for about 10 months. I was very happy with my weight and felt great. I had the best intentions of keeping Paleo/Primal for my pregnancy. However, at week 5 of my pregnancy the morning sickness hit big time. I was throwing up 20+ times a day and made frequent trips to the hospital for rehydration. Needless to say my Primal diet went out the window. I pretty much ate to survive and whatever would stay down. BTW, this is highly uncommon for most women to be as sick as I was. By 18 weeks I started transitioning back to a Primal diet. Oddly enough the first 2 trimesters I was able to keep my supplements down. I take/took a prenatal, 1-2 grams DHA, 5000 IU vitamin d3, b-complex, additional b6, and magnesium. Write now I try to keep my carbs around 150 grams a day. I try to eat some form of protein, preferable meat and/or eggs at every meal. I have been eating white rice daily (not primal) as well. I also eat lots of good fats coming from pastured butter/ghee, macadamia nut oil, and avocados. I guess my point is shoot for an optimum diet, but if you can't maintain a Primal style of eating don't beat yourself up over it either.

ETA: sorry I didn't proof-read my posting. It should have read "right" now I try to.... (Pregnancy brain at its best!)
    Last edited by KellyS; 03-04-2011 at 12:12 PM.