Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is honey paleo? page

Honeybear is offline Member

Is honey paleo?

Primal Fuel
    Didn't our ancestors gorge on honey when they found it? Just curious.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    it depends on which ancestors and where they were from, but, yeah, honey would have been a once-in-a-while delicacy when they could get it.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Those who could get it, but if you are a carb craver, beware. I can do about a teaspoon, and no more.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Of course it's paleo. Yes, you're right. Hunter/gatherers would take honey. But that doesn't mean you should regularly. It was a rare treat.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    The massai still seek out honey combs in Kenya. Of course it is 'Paleo', but it is not easy to get, and the massai eat the actual combs, and i would say most of what is available in shops is processed heavily.

It was definitely never meant for everyday, mass consumption.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybear View Post
    Didn't our ancestors gorge on honey when they found it?
    thats the thing. Trouble is, less than a 5' walk from where I am typing I can buy tons of the stuff. Now if I had to find/follow the bees, climb a tree to get to the hive, light a fire then smoke 'em a bit to make 'em sleepy, get stung (quite) a few times getting the honey, climb back down and then trek home - yep it'd be paleo

Dana is offline Junior Member
    By a strict definition of "a food that was available to pre-agriculture humans", then yes, it would have been occasionally eaten by people living in parts of the world where the honey bee was found.

If you're talking about eating as much of it as you want as part of a paleo/PB lifestyle because it meets the above definition, then no. A tenet of this WOE is to minimize insulin spikes in response to sugary foods, and honey is certainly a sugary food.

That said, my husband and I have a hive in our backyard and I do eat a teaspoon of honey from time to time and enjoy it, because OMG it's the best honey I've ever had.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It depends on whether your definition is "any food that ancient man ate" or "food that is good for you because we are evolved to benefit from eating it regularly." The second way is less sound-bite friendly but it's what you really should think of.
    Honey is a form of sugar and should be treated as such - I use it occasionally in moderation.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    All of the above--and I wouldn't touch it if you are losing weight. Great way to create an insulin spike and stop fat loss.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    All of the above--and I wouldn't touch it if you are losing weight. Great way to create an insulin spike and stop fat loss.
    I think a tiny amount (like a teaspoon) drizzled on a nice SMALL peice of fruit would be a good treat after a protein/fat based meal....and only once a month.

I do this and it has not hurt my weight loss any.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast