Thread: Too much Bacon? page

Ransom is offline Senior Member

Too much Bacon?

I know that seems like it's impossible but I've read a number of threads over the years that say that, although still singing bacon's praises overall, advocates moderation in amounts as it is technically processed and can be high in sodium. I buy lower sodium, sugar free bacon and it comes in 12 oz packages which usually comes to about 12 slices a pop. I go through one of those every week which usually comes to 3 or 4 slices a day over 3 or 4 days out of the week. To me that doesn't sound like too much until I think about it as eating a package of bacon a week by myself. What do you all think, too much? I'm not freaking out about it but am rather just curious. I know Mark says you can't eat too much bacon but I also know he's being facetious to make a point. Thoughts?
    Strength and Honor

canio6 Guest
    I eat a little less than a package a week. If my lazy behind made breakfast on the weekends it would probably be a whole package per week. If you are meeting your Primal goals I wouldn't sweat it.

Beastman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I know that seems like it's impossible but I've read a number of threads over the years that say that, although still singing bacon's praises overall, advocates moderation in amounts as it is technically processed and can be high in sodium. I buy lower sodium, sugar free bacon and it comes in 12 oz packages which usually comes to about 12 slices a pop. I go through one of those every week which usually comes to 3 or 4 slices a day over 3 or 4 days out of the week. To me that doesn't sound like too much until I think about it as eating a package of bacon a week by myself. What do you all think, too much? I'm not freaking out about it but am rather just curious. I know Mark says you can't eat too much bacon but I also know he's being facetious to make a point. Thoughts?
    Buy the uncured nitrite-free stuff. If your supermarket doesn't have it, there are a few places you can order it online. I wouldn't worry about eating too much of it as long as you're getting your veggies and good sources of protein in.
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    You just didn't define Healthy Whole Grains properly. Many steak recipes refer to cutting "against the grain" when slicing. Therefore beef has grains. If you eat everything on your plate, you have eaten the whole thing. Eating an entire steak is eating healthy whole grains.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    we eat a couple times a week.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Substrate is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't worry about eating too much of it as long as you're getting your veggies and good sources of protein in.
    Agreed.

Check out this phenomenal salad that Mark posted a while back: Bacon, Chicken and Avocado Salad | Mark's Daily Apple

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i vary how much i eat it...some weeks it's none, and some weeks i'll have two packages. but it's not really the bacon i'm after...it's the bacon fat. i use it to cook everything.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I get my bacon direct from the farm - share 2 packs a week with my almost 4 year old son. Love it when he says to me "I want a piece of bacon".. I also save the fat and cook everything in it. Yesterday was Lamb shoulder chops and then veggies.

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone - I use it for the fat too. I could eat bacon every day, though, so I guess a package a week isn't too bad.

Jacking my own thread, kind of, but same question for pork rinds. I only buy plain that are just fried pork skins/salt and use them as "chips." Go through a 12oz package a week of that too. I'm pleased with my weight and physique but am curios if a whole bag is a little much. Too much PUFA? Too processed? I try and get the lowest sodium variety. I could eat a whole bag in a sitting if I wasn't careful so its good I can make it last a week! Thanks!
    Strength and Honor