Thread: fat grams/calories page

Kris C is offline Senior Member

fat grams/calories

Primal Fuel
    I have questions regarding fat calories and grams. I track my foods on myfitnesspal.com. It doesn't give my fat in calories but in grams only. After some searching around, and taking info from another thread here (The Quick and Dirty...) I figured out how many calories I "should" be taking in and the breakdown of those calories. Of course, it says I should take in less that 1300 calories to lose 1 lb per week (I've been eating more and still losing pounds and more importantly, inches, so there goes that). While my main concern is not exact numbers of calories, I am curious to know about how many grams (or fat calories as a percentage of total calories) people around these parts eat.

Before anyone goes off telling me to stop tracking, I am only 4 weeks primal. I want to track for a bit to be sure I am doing it correctly in terms of the prescribed breakdown of what our calories should be comprised of. Once I know I am following Primal correctly, the tracking will back off to occasionally as a check. The scale is already leaving.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I've been tracking for a week, but primal for months and I'm averaging 60/10/30 F/C/P with a target calories of 1369. It varies quite a bit from day to day. I use an app called LoseIt!

shrona is offline Member
    I only tracked for 5 days at the beginning of my switch to Primal, and my fat intake averaged at 65% of total calories. I'm pretty sure most nutrition trackers calculate macronutrient percentages based on calories (not grams), so the percentage on calorie basis is higher than the gram basis (because a fat gram has 9 calories, while a gram of protein or carbohydrate has 4 calories.) Anyhoo, you probably already know that, but just wanted to make sure you're comparing the equivalent number!

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    It would depends on your carbs and proteins. Look at Mark's carbohydrate curve chart. Decide where you are at on the chart. So you know what your protein requirement is (1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weigh) and you have selected where you want to be on the carbohydrate curve, fats will make up whatever percentage is left. Example of my numbers. (my numbers, not everyone's).

My calorie intake BMR+ activity = 2,500 calories
    My protein requirements at 1 gram = 170 grams = 680 calories, so I subtract 680
    My carb choice 100grams = 400 calories, so I subtract 400
    The fat calories that I need 1,420, (2,500 - 680 - 400 = 1,420)

convert fat calories to fat grams 1,420 / 9 = 157grams

Percentages. Protein = 27%, carbs = 16% , Fats = 57%
    Last edited by Bodhi; 03-04-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    My percentages are practically the same as Bodhi's but I eat about 3,000 calories per day.

Tracking is actually a great idea when you first start. It helps you understand what exactly you are putting in your pie hole and how you might need to tweak anything.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Here's a couple more examples using my numbers:

If I were to choose to eat at the high end of the maintenance carb curve and consume 150 grams of carbs, my percentages would look like this:

Protein = 27%
    Carbs = 24 %
    Fats = 49%

If I were to choose to eat at the low end of the maintenance carb curve and consume 50 grams of carbs, my percentages would look like this:

Protein = 27%
    Carbs = 8 %
    Fats = 65%

Hhhhmmmm....Now that I've done the math, maybe I'll shoot for these percentages and see what happens.

Protein = 30%
    Carbs = 15%
    Fats = 55%
    Last edited by Bodhi; 03-04-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Bodhi. I used another post by you to get my numbers/percentages. I am in weight loss mode at this point so I try to keep my carbs on the lower end, averaging about 60 grams. I will keep up my tracking likely another few weeks as I tweak my daily diet and learn more. Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you got your questions answered. I just wanted to add that I can eat above my 'weight loss' calorie range and still lose weight with this way of eating. I can't go HUGELY over the limit, but I can definitely eat more and still lose weight.

I tend to be around 60/20/20, 60/30/10 or 50/30/20 (F/P/C) I think it depends naturally on my activity level with workout days, or the day after a workout being higher in carbs.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I do 65% Fat, 20% Protein, 15% carbs. I shoot for under 1600 calories and under 60 grams of carbs per day. I will track my numbers daily, at least until I get down to my goal weight. I am losing about 1-1.5 pounds a week. I don't want to lose a lot of weight quickly, because I have a broken metabolism. I have around 46 pounds to lose. Hope this helps.

nsain is offline Junior Member
    While my main concern is not exact numbers of calories, I am curious to know about how many grams (or fat calories as a percentage of total calories) people around these parts eat.

60/30/10 F/P/C

also check out caloriecount.about.com it shows you some really cool graphs about where you get you calories from including a pie chart that five you percentages. It will also scream at you for ingesting too much fat too much protein too little carbs blah blah blah but it is still a cool way to track you macro-nutrients