Thread: Going on PB to prevent further health issues & have questions...... page

TARNIP is offline Senior Member

Going on PB to prevent further health issues & have questions......

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone

I would appreciate some advice from members that are alot more learned in this way of eating so I will try to give you a bit of background info........

I had a sclerology appointment yesterday (sort of like iridology but they read the white part of your eyes as well as your iris as in iridology). The sclerologist did not know me from a bar of soap and found ailments I have that she was not aware of just by looking at my eyes, it was truly amazing. I strongly believe in anything Naturopathic and believe that all of our illnesses stem from bad nutrition, therefore can be corrected with proper nutrition.

Whilst I am disease free thus far (thank god) I do have issues that need correcting. My body has huge issues processing sugar/carbs (pancreas), and I have Type 2 diabetes in my family. Apparently if I don't do something about it now, I will be next. I also have issues with possible formation of stones in my kidneys, chronic constipation, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar),sub-clinical thyroid issues (all doctor performed tests come back normal but body temp is very low) and an overly acidic body that needs to be more alkaline. I also suffer from nutrient malabsorption due to inflammation of my small intestine (she believes this stems from gluten).
    I have also had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and have Irritable Bowel Syndrome as well as recently being diagnosed with a type of arthritis that affects my sacroiliac joint. So all in all, I feel like I am falling apart but believe I can (and will) correct it all.

Her recommendation was as follows: avoid dairy (this is my fave foodgroup), gluten and wheat, eat 5-6 times per day to prevent the hypoglycemic episodes (severe sugar cravings and fatigue), I can eat fruit but never on it's own, it always has to be eaten with protein. So I did some research and figured that PB would be the best plan to follow and ordered the book yesterday online. The sclerologist didn't like the idea of a higher fat intake, but she did say that her opinion could be wrong and to just do my research. She also told me that I more than likely partook in hour long daily moderate exercise sessions (which she was correct about) and apparently these are draining on me and my metabolism would benefit far more from short duration intense bouts of activity (similar to PB).

My goals are to lose weight and prevent any further health complications as I am 33 years old now and I need energy and I want muscles (yes I think women look awesome with muscle - no, not toned, MUSCLE - just without the protruding veins!) I am 5' 3" and weigh 90kg's (198 pounds), my goal is to get to about 50kg's (110 pounds) so I have quite a bit to lose.............I am also approximately 46% body fat. I have read alot on the forums with women especially that struggle to lose weight with thyroid issues, but I am on natural tablets and iodine drops for that as well as some strong chromium tablets to help with my sugar cravings from the hypoglycemia.

I ordered a Vitamix blender yesterday (gee they work out to be expensive in Australian dollars!!) but I am going to start making green smoothies to try and help alkalize my body (apparently that's what greens are best at!) So this is a brief rundown of how I plan to start PB nutrition wise, please feel free to add comments and correct me if needed........

Breakfast - Green smoothie (made up from baby spinach leaves, water, natural WPI protein powder, one or two servings of fruit added and some other form of green veg, maybe capsicum (peppers) or celery) with added super food such as vital greens which contain wheat grass, spirulina, pre and probiotics, omega 3's etc........., 1 tablespoon of flax oil

Omelette - only if time permits on a non work day with 2 eggs and veggies cooked in coconut oil, maybe with 100g bacon added.

Snacks (only if required) - Handful of nuts/seeds with fruit OR WPI shake with coconut milk and flax oil

Lunch - Large salad with baby spinach, celery, capsicum, cherry tomatoes, peppers, beetroot, avocado and about 100-150g chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (occasionally add about 1 tablespoon of grated cheese)

Dinner - Steamed non-starchy veg with a small amount of butter added for flavour (may occasionally add a small serving of sweet potato) with a 100-150g lean meat (would rather have lean meat and cook it in coconut oil). I will be purchasing only grass fed hormone free red meat, free range hormone free chicken breasts.

I am not an adventurous meat eater as I have never really liked meat much, have always preferred the taste of plants! I don't eat any seafood and will not touch organ meat. Variety could be a problem, but I do eat beef, pork, lamb and chicken (no rabbit, goat, duck etc)

I have done Atkins before but I started gaining weight as I believe my calories got too high so unfortunately I think I may be one of those people that needs to watch carbs and calories as I have yo-yo dieted since I was about 12 year old, which is why my metabolism is now on the dysfunctional side

As for exercise I am still not 100% clear on exactly how or what to do (as I am still waiting for my book to arrive) but this is what I have planned just from what I have picked up on this site. I aim to go for a casual walk for about 45mins to 60mins 2 times per week, lift weights 2 times a week and do short duration high intensity sprints for about 20 mins 1 day per week.

I would also love to hear from anyone who also suffers from any conditions similar to myself and how they go about PB on a daily basis and results they may have achieved this far.

Thanks so much for listening and I would be so grateful for any imput anyone may have, good or otherwise

beach.bum is offline Member
    Your menu and exercise plans looks great to me! Sounds like you're definitely on the right track for lots of improvements in your life! Good luck!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast: If you're trying to avoid gluten, cut the wheat grass from your smoothies. Also, you should know that the omega3 oils in flaxseed oil are very difficult for humans to use. You should seek out a fish oil instead, as that form of Omega3 is far easier. Also, flaxseeds go rancid very easily. The omlette should not be an "only if time permits" kind of food. You don't have much fat at all in your smoothie, so will metabolize it really fast and get hungry really fast. I think the omlette is more important than the smoothie.

Lunch: you'll need more fat in your lunch salad, if you don't want massive hunger at 2pm.

Dinner: again, why lean meat? You seem to be avoiding fat overall, which will be a huge problem for you.

You won't need to worry about hypoglycemic issues after a few weeks. I used to get massively nauseated if I skipped a meal, but once you get over the hump of cutting back on carbs, you get off the blood-sugar roller coaster. It takes a few weeks, though, of what's called low-carb-flu. You won't need to maintain 5-6 meals per day, on the Primal Blueprint.
    You'll need way more fat than you're including, at every meal. Fat is largely what keeps us from being hungry. If you cut your carbs, and don't add in fat, you will have problems.
    Finally, you said you've had problems with adding in too many carbs on Atkins before, but you then list fruit as part of breakfast, fruit as part of your snack, and a possible sweet potato with dinner. Fruit is good, but it really depends on what kind, if you're eating that much during the day. Stick with berries, but avoid tropical fruits like pineapple or bananas. When you get your book, read it carefully, and figure out how many grams of carbs, fats and protein you'll eat in your average day.
    Good luck!

Thank you for your replies

Sorry Melodious, maybe I should have explained myself a bit better on a couple of things........

Firstly wheat grass has has absolutely nothing to do with "wheat" and it is completely 100% wheat and gluten free, it is actually a grass, and fit for someone that even has Coeliac Disease, I have researched this issue thoroughly . I have heard about the Flaxseed oil being harder to digest but I HATE seafood, so the only omega 3's I could get would be from fish oil capsules, flax seeds or the grass fed meats I will be eating (as I believe these are higher in omega 3's from what I have read on this site?).

Regarding the fat issue, is 1 tablespoon of olive oil not enough fat for lunch and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil that my grass fed steak is cooked in for dinner enough either? You are right though, fat is still of some concern for me as it wasn't the addition of carbs that made me gain on Atkins, it was the "extra calories" from all the extra fat I was eating, I stayed on 30grams of carbs (non starchy veg only) on Atkins and put on weight!! The sclerologist also found very pale yellow 'jelly' type marks on the whites of my eyes and told me they were from my body not metabolising fats properly, so while I would certainly like to make sure I get enough fat in my diet, I don't want to overdo it to the point of my body having struggles digesting it all

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I cannot wait to get my book so I can understand it all a bit more in depth I am so excited and looking forward to feeling healthy and energetic again

theholla is offline Senior Member
    The issue with flax oil isn't that it's harder to digest - the omega-3 it contains is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which must be converted to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) before the body can utilize it (these are the forms that are found naturally in fish). Since, people's ability to convert ALA to EPA or DHA varies, it is safer to supplement with fish oil than with flax oil.

I'd be starving if I only had 1 tbsp of fat at lunch and dinner! My lunch salad typically has 1.5 tbsp of olive oil, plus the additional fat from either 1 oz nuts, 1/2 an avocado, or 1 oz cheese. At dinner, I will generally consume either 2 tbsp of butter or coconut oil, or 1 tbsp and something else fatty.

I'm not familiar with sclerology and am generally skeptical, so I don't know if I would personally trust someone telling me my body couldn't metabolize fat based on the whites of my eyes. However, even if your body isn't metabolizing fats properly, it could easily be caused by one of your other issues, rather than a fundamental inability of your body to metabolize fat. So, don't be afraid to see how you feel on a higher fat diet and adjust accordingly.
    Last edited by theholla; 03-04-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typos
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Thanks Theholla!

I will do as you have suggested and have 1.5 - 2 tablespoons of fats/oils with meals. I am also a huge fan of avocado and have no issues adding that to just about everything! I had the same feeling as you regarding the issues with my body not metabolizing fats properly. I was thinking it could more than likely be connected with my pancreas not dealing well with the sugars/carbs on my previous way of eating, maybe all the sugars have somehow affected how I metabolize fats and once they are removed from my diet, I will be able to process fats more efficiently again. Here's hoping anyways!!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I'd forget the smoothies and just put those greens in your omelet. A protein shake is a nice option once in awhile when you're hungry and have absolutely no time for real food but I think your hunger level will be better if you stick to real, whole foods. That morning smoothie sounds like a couple hundred calories that will just spike your blood sugar and not be very filling.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm concerned about your thyroid and the OTC things you're taking, especially the "iodine drops."

First of all, if you're 'subclinical,' you may already be hypothyroid. Most doctors don't diagnose well because just being within the lab ranges is meaningless where thyroid is concerned; it's where you are in the range that's significant. Moreover, I have severe symptoms but was subclinical, and my primary kept telling me that I was 'normal.' It was overwhelming fatigue and exhaustion that drove me to see an endo, and fortunately I found a good one on the first try (I've known people who went through 4-5 endos until they found a sensible one.)

I've since learned that a good thyroid doctor evaluates both lab work AND the patient's symptoms. My first endo told me that many of her patients initially presented 'subclinical.'

One thing that's important to know is that if you need thyroid support because of low hormones, NOTHING OTC is going to help. And the use of "iodine" by someone who may have Hashimoto's (the most common reason for hypothyroid) is dangerous and can further injure the thyroid.

By the way, I have Hashimoto's but did not get a definitive diagnosis until I had a biopsy of one of my thyroid nodules because false negatives are very, very common on the blood tests, so even if you don't test positive, you should avoid any iodine therapy.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You need to eat 70% of your calories from fat, especially with your health issues. If you avoid fat, you will gain weight - it is as simple as that.

70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% or less from carbs. Period.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Here is an example using the Australian version of somthing like your "Fitday" to count calories and percentages of macronutrients. I have calculated a typical day for going PB. Just click on the link attached CalorieKing.com.au Diet Diary - weight loss control. Record your calories - Food & Exercise Diary