Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Height page 3

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This phenomenon of "regression toward the mean" with regard to height in parents and offspring was first documented and explained by Sir Francis Galton (mathematician/statistician) in 1886. You can read about this statistical concept on Wiki Regression toward the mean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaNYC View Post
    This phenomenon of "regression toward the mean" with regard to height in parents and offspring was first documented and explained by Sir Francis Galton (mathematician/statistician) in 1886. You can read about this statistical concept on Wiki Regression toward the mean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks, thats a pretty interesting read.
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

Einz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max[imilian] View Post
    +1

After buying Esther Gokhale's "8 steps to a pain-free back" and utilizing some of her tips, I had quite a few people comment on how I looked taller. Also, I'm 6'3", so for people to say I look taller, there had to be a noticeable difference.

Book Link:
    Amazon.com: 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot (Remember When It Didn't Hurt) (9780979303609): Esther Gokhale, Susan Adams: Books
    I also have been trying to correct my posture as it is bad. Hot yoga membership and going to go 6 times a week along with nutrition and good workout plan. See if I can naturally boost my GH and get some type of results.

Even if I don't get much taller, still getting healthier.

Again, thanks for the posts~!

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaNYC View Post
    Interesting...

My dad was 6', my mom was 4'11.5" (lol), and I am around 5'7". It's interesting though because height is just one measure of 'size'. I have a pretty good wingspan for my height, and I can eat more food than anybody I've known in my entire life. Genes are interesting...

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Ladies: I'm barely 5'0"... on a good day. Exact same height as my mama. (Daddy was 6'2"!) I have also learned to live with being petite and don't mind it at all (well, it's all I've ever known/I was always the first in line in kindergarten when they lined you up according to height). But if you would like the appearance of being taller and longer, I highly recommend barre3 classes.

Barre3 Fitness | Barre Fitness Studio | Barre3
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

wiltondeportes Guest
    I disagree with all this spine lengthening. If you want a longass midsection, be my guest. The true advantages of being bigger are longer arms & legs. You have longer levers to do things. Having a really long spine does nothing for you. In fact, it looks weird and is probably not healthy.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Our spines are actually really compressed from all the unnatural/unhealthy sitting we do. Also, with the type of exercise I'm talking about above, you also begin to hold your chest, shoulders, neck, and head differently.... in addition to opening the hips up. I was walking noticeably different after just one class. It's a common comment.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    I always feel slightly taller for next couple of days after a massage - I really think I'm a little hunched over in the neck and shoulders so much of the time because of tight muscles and spending too much time at the computer. I should measure and see if there's a subtle difference.

Tiger Lilly, rock on with your petite self. My mom is 5'1" and so I always wanted to be shorter. I'm 5'10 and my dad was 6'8"!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I don't mind being at a petite 5'4", but it's extremely annoying when I go shopping for clothes because I am really limited to the pants that I can buy. Since I have a shorter leg to torso ratio, a regular pair of pants is usually too long for me. On the other hand, it makes snatching at the gym a lot easier than for most

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    My mom is 5'6, my dad is 5'9. My older brother is only 5'8, but we think his height may have compromised because he had an undiagnosed parasitic issue (giardia) through most of his teen years. I'm 5'7, pretty good for a girl, and my younger brother is 6' (which kills my big brother!)

After reading Weston A. Price, I've definitely noticed height differences in sibling sets. The second or third brother tends to be shorter than the oldest when there's not much of an age gap. When there is a considerable age gap, the younger siblings are often the same height or even taller than the oldest. My tall younger brother was a late surprise... mom had plenty of time to build her nutrient stores back up!

There's also strong evidence that nutrition in pregnancy has a big effect on future height... this article talks about the Hunger Winter during WWII (it's about halfway through) and the future height/health of kids whose mothers starved during pregnancy... really interesting. Learning From Inside the Womb: How babies acquire skills before birth

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast