Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Height page 2

Einz is offline Member
    Shop Now
    nice, appreciate the answers!

Doing primal to be healthy but it would also be good to gain an inch or too

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    if I can find a way to grow about 4' ....... I would no longer need to think about losing weight!

As a bookmark i once had said "i am not overweight, i am undertall". It was a gift. I didn't think to be offended at the time
    Ha... this is what I was thinking! I didn't think you could manipulate or try to grow taller... I thought it was just set in your genes.

DirtyHippie is offline Junior Member
    My Mom is 5'3" my Dad is 5' 7" and I ended up at barely 5' 1"... my parents did not give me enough veggies growing up
    Too late to hope for growth as I'm 29... guess I'll try that leg lengthening surgery lol.

climbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHippie View Post
    My Mom is 5'3" my Dad is 5' 7" and I ended up at barely 5' 1"... my parents did not give me enough veggies growing up
    Too late to hope for growth as I'm 29... guess I'll try that leg lengthening surgery lol.
    I'm in the same boat... technically 5' 0.5" but I cheat and say i'm 5' 1" lol. I've learned to live with being petite though :P

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Ultimately its going to boil down to your genetics. If your parents are a certain height you are going to be in that range as well. My dad was 5'11, my older brother was 5'11 and I knew it was inevitable that I was going to end up the same height which I did. When I was growing up I was in love with basketball and I wanted to play in the NBA. My mom had to break it to me that my height is most likely going to come from my dad and it broke my heart lol. I tried to stretch all the time and hang from pull-up bars but to no avail I still ended up the same height.

But, I do think if your parents are somewhat malnourished and you are well nourished you can get to be taller than them. My mom's side of the family is from the Phillippines and cow's milk is not readily found there and it is considered a luxury. So my uncle was about 5'6 and his wife is 4'11 full height growing up in the Phillippines. They raised their kids in America and their son is 6'2 and his daughter is 5'10 and we think its due to the fact that he was fed really nutritious foods growing up including lots of milk which their parents never had.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    My Grandmama is 5' and my Mama is 5'1'', I got all the way to 5'2'', I'm hoping my daughters can gain 2 inches on me, but I'm thankful for what I got. If you've broke anything recently your x-rays would show if your growth plates have closed or not, if they're closed your body is what it is. In theory the adrenal gland could be manipulated to increase growth, but only if "you still got growth in ya."
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    My dad is a prime example of nutrition and height. The men of his father's generation were 6'+. He's 5'8". He was born at the tail end of the depression. His younger brothers are stair steps up from him back to the 6'+ range. My mom and her whole family were pretty short. She was 5'3" (born the same year as my dad) and was regarded as pretty tall for the women of her family. Her mom was 5'5" and was regarded as downright statuesque. I'm their daughter and I'm 5'8". I have tall genes on his side but if you look just at him, you'd be shocked he had such a tall daughter. He was malnourished. When I stood around that generation of my family, I looked like a freaking giant. I say "stood" because they're almost all gone now. Too may heart attacks and cancer.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbergirl View Post
    I'm in the same boat... technically 5' 0.5" but I cheat and say i'm 5' 1" lol. I've learned to live with being petite though :P
    I'm 6-1, my sons are 6-2 and 6-3 and we're completely dominated by my smallish DiL. She's right at your size and rather than learning to live with being petite, she's learned to live with a nickname, 'the Child'. (She cheats her size up to 5'-1", too!)
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I think there's a lot to be said for "increased height" being down to better posture and decompression of the spine. That might get you half an inch??
    Otherwise, pass.
    +1

After buying Esther Gokhale's "8 steps to a pain-free back" and utilizing some of her tips, I had quite a few people comment on how I looked taller. Also, I'm 6'3", so for people to say I look taller, there had to be a noticeable difference.

Book Link:
    Amazon.com: 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot (Remember When It Didn't Hurt) (9780979303609): Esther Gokhale, Susan Adams: Books

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    But, I do think if your parents are somewhat malnourished and you are well nourished you can get to be taller than them.
    Interesting, although I'm still confounded as to why my brother is so much taller than either of my parents, because he has a pretty crappy diet. He's 5'11" or so, my mom is 5'1" and my dad is probably 5'6" at the very most.
    Guess it's just something that happens for no obvious reason, haha.

I've never minded being short, it's no big deal imo. I only remember that I'm short when I have to get something off of high shelves, LOL.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast