Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on my weight loss/training dilema. page

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

Opinions on my weight loss/training dilema.

Primal Fuel
    So to sum things up last Feb I was 253 lb got down to 178 lb by August. I wasn't happy with my skinny fatness so I started going to the gym mid August. Weight went back up to 190lbs by mid Sept and has been pretty much rock solid since then. I have made amazing strength and size gains. I'm nearing a 300lb bench press for 5 reps. This past Wed I deadlifted 450 x 5 reps. Squat isn't great but it is also going up. Biceps have gained over an inch in cirumference. Anyways I have been eating like an animal (4600 cal yesterday) to gain my strength and size. I haven't gained weight and I haven't got any fatter, but I'm not losing fat like I would hope too. I have a pocket of fat on my lower abs that I am sure I could get rid of but with my calories being so high and the fact that I only really walk for cardio I don't see it happening. I just started a heavy bag workout yesterday but I think it will take more.

My dilema should I cut down my calories a bunch and lose my strength and size that I have worked so hard at getting or is their anyther way I could keep getting stronger and loose fat. I do IF ever day as it is. I lift Mon, Wed, Fri so I could do some crazy workout like Insanity on my off days that I'm sure would do the trick but I don't want to over train. I'm sure Im asking for the impossible but If anyone has an opinion I would appreciate it.
    "Live Free or Die"

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you're doing either SS or SL. I'm doing SS 3 days a week and playing sports 3 days a week, I'm roughly following the Lean Gains eating program. I've been on SS for 10weeks and LeanGains for 5 weeks. I haven't lost any weight (not trying to), I've actually gained some but I am still leaning out slowly [calipered 11% BF]. So it is possible but it will take time, and possible adjustment of your diet (which you haven't listed).

I've been listening to the Paleolithic Solution podcasts and Robb Wolfe has made the point multiple times that if you want to cut fat (past a certain point) you're going to have to sacrifice performance until you get your body composition to where you want it. Personally, I'm not trying to lose fat, I'm just trying to lower my fat percentage by gaining lean mass. It just happens to be that I am losing fat at the same time.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    If you want to lose the flab you will definetely need to cut calories/carbs. You are not going to lose all the strength and muscle you worked for if you diet properly with a high protein intake, a small deficit, and continue to train with maintenance weights. Actually you may lose some "bulk" because you are going to carry less fat under your skin and in your cells, and lower carb will probably cause your muscles to deflate a bit when stored glycogen is reduced.
    After you've lost the fat and calories and carbs are increased again, your muscle bulk will reappear fairly quickly.

Cromagnon is offline Junior Member
    Natural athletes get to be chubby and strong, or ripped and not so strong. You get to choose, or get some dianabol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    So to sum things up last Feb I was 253 lb got down to 178 lb by August. I wasn't happy with my skinny fatness so I started going to the gym mid August. Weight went back up to 190lbs by mid Sept and has been pretty much rock solid since then. I have made amazing strength and size gains. I'm nearing a 300lb bench press for 5 reps. This past Wed I deadlifted 450 x 5 reps. Squat isn't great but it is also going up. Biceps have gained over an inch in cirumference. Anyways I have been eating like an animal (4600 cal yesterday) to gain my strength and size. I haven't gained weight and I haven't got any fatter, but I'm not losing fat like I would hope too. I have a pocket of fat on my lower abs that I am sure I could get rid of but with my calories being so high and the fact that I only really walk for cardio I don't see it happening. I just started a heavy bag workout yesterday but I think it will take more.

My dilema should I cut down my calories a bunch and lose my strength and size that I have worked so hard at getting or is their anyther way I could keep getting stronger and loose fat. I do IF ever day as it is. I lift Mon, Wed, Fri so I could do some crazy workout like Insanity on my off days that I'm sure would do the trick but I don't want to over train. I'm sure Im asking for the impossible but If anyone has an opinion I would appreciate it.

As far as diet goes I eat 100% primal. Try to eat as much fat and protein as possible while keeping my carbs under 100 grams. I don't track my calories or fat. I do track my protein and carbs though. For fun the other day I ran the numbers and came up with something like 4600 calories, 300 grams of fat, 108 carbs, and 246 grams of protein. Yes I eat alot lol. I have used numerous calorie calculators and I have got anywhere from 2600 calories all the way up to 3500 as estimates for my maintenance intake. I don't have a clue what to shoot for inorder to be in say a 500 calorie defecit for weight loss.

Sacraficing performance really sucks. I have been able to go up ten pounds every week in just about all of my lifts while still maintaining 5 reps. I had high hopes of a 500lb deadlift in 5 weeks. I guess I was hoping for some magic training regimen that would solve my problems lol.
    "Live Free or Die"

Quote Originally Posted by Cromagnon View Post
    Natural athletes get to be chubby and strong, or ripped and not so strong. You get to choose, or get some dianabol.
    I could get some completly legal gear that is just as good as dbol but that wouldn't be very primal. I was also thinking about competing in a natural raw powerlifting comp next year.

Also Martin from leangains pulls like 600lbs and if I'm not mistaken weights around 180-190. Thats not anywhere near the 180 lb class deadlift record of 766 lbs but I would be proud to pull 600 lbs.
    Last edited by Bostonbully; 03-04-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    "Live Free or Die"

Collie is offline Junior Member
    Hey buddy you should need of some proper exercise plan and have made some planning about doing it regularly.... Do cardio and swimming at it's best.... I think this would help you more... Drink excess water and have some fat burner's like green tea and also yogurt along with your meal made mandatory......

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    Sacraficing performance really sucks. I have been able to go up ten pounds every week in just about all of my lifts while still maintaining 5 reps. I had high hopes of a 500lb deadlift in 5 weeks. I guess I was hoping for some magic training regimen that would solve my problems lol.
    I'd go for it. Life is short. Once you hit a plateau, you can lean out for a while and come back to it if you want.

Gordo

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    100% primal still has a lot of leeway in terms of body composition foods.

There's also info out there that supports carb refeeds aiding in fat loss (once again, LeanGains)
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Yea the carb refeeds are an option. Or I may start a carb cycle for lack of better terms. For example Thursday was an off day all I did was hit the heavy bag a bit nothing to crazy so I kept my carbs below 50 and my calories around 2500. Today was a gym day so my carbs were around 100 and I ate approx 4300 calories. I looked real lean this morning after only eating 50 carbs and 2500 calories so I might try this rotation out and see if I get anything from it. If not I could do the low carb all week with a refeed on Fri my last lifting day of the week.

As far as foods. I mainly eat meat and veg. On lifting days I have been having some almond butter and unsweetened kefir or greek yogurt with some berries. No grains, legumes, soy, or veg oils. I take that back once a week or so I eat tuna fish with mayo which unfortunatly has soy in it. Yea I could make my own but it would go bad considering how infrequently I would eat it.
    Last edited by Bostonbully; 03-04-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    "Live Free or Die"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast