Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Life On The Prairie: slesca's primal journal page 2

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    Ah, good party. And before that, good crossfit workout. Did deadlifts, pushups and box jumps. Tuuuuuff. While I did drink a good amount of vino and sampled the blueberry/lemonade vodka someone brought, it was all-in-all a not-so-diet-sabotaging event. Lots of play, lots of talk, and lots of fire. I love the great leftovers I have now, too!

So today I've had pineapple hamballs, tomato/mozz salad, and roasted veggies for lunch. I made a kale smoothie for my detoxifying breakfast

Well, I ended up eating a piece of leftover zucchini bread last night. And then 1/2 a piece tonight after dinner. I really need to get that stuff out of the house. Maybe I'll ask my husband to take it to work tomorrow. Me + baked goods = low restraint.

So today:
    Breakfast- coffee w/ cream
    Lunch- n/a
    Dinner- salmon over mixed greens + tomato mozz salad on top of that, and a dollop of guacamole, a few leftover hamballs, 1/2 piece of zucchini bread, green tea

I meant to do crossfit at lunch, buuuuut we had an (always tedious) partner meeting today at noon. Not cool. I'm heading out for a long walk right now. The scorching sun is going down and I think a nice 90 minute stroll will help me dispose of some of the anxiety I'm harboring. I meant to mention this topic earlier. When I first started primal two years ago, I was really struggling with anxiety, insomnia, and, in retrospect, some depression. By completely changing my diet and stopping the punishing chronic cardio, my problem was solved 100%. Like, I hadn't felt that awesome EVER. Plus, I lost weight, felt good about my appearance, eliminated PMS, and got pregnant after 1 year of it not happening. I had all of these great benefits in just about 6 weeks. It was really amazing. Anyway, fast forward to now: my primal habits are pretty well ingrained, although I have a tendency to ebb and flow a bit. But, I started menstruating again in April after 20 or so months without. The first few were intense, as I recall they were after weaning my first baby. The next was pretty normal.

Then, this past cycle I had the old choking anxiety rear its ugly head on me as a PMS symptom. No cramping or anything, just that chest-crushing anxiety about absolutely nothing. Well, that's not true- anxiety is always about SOMETHING, but it's the crap that I normally just deal with. I don't know; maybe it was residual from my crazy month of eating somewhat poorly? We'll see; next month should be a pretty good chance to experiment. I'm wondering if I need to take a chill pill on my coffee consumption. It's getting a bit, er, liberal.

Well, less sitting and writing and more moving at a slow pace. See ya!

Today:
    breakfast- 2 breakfast muffins (eggs, sausage and veggies cooked in a muffin tin), coffee w/ cream
    lunch- 1 can tuna w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar
    dinner- salmon patty, salad w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar, green tea, a small amount of mac nuts while cooking

I did make it to crossfit over lunch today and we did weighted push-ups. Yikes, I needed this. I'm really enjoying stretching myself by doing a lot of exercises that I've never done before at this gym. I always felt like I consistently worked out/lifted before, but the variety is so much better now. I love how the guys who run the place are a perfect mixture of chill and encouraging but hardcore and no-excuses. I've also been doing one-legged hip bridges 50 on each side every morning in an attempt to help recover the shape of my butt from my pregnancy. What appears to have happened is that it got, well, gigantic, while I was preg. Then we I became un-preg, I lost the fat but sadly my booty drooped a bit. I joke about the pencil test- if you can fit a pencil under your butt and it doesn't fall out then it's too saggy. Well, after baby 2 I could probably fit a deck of cards. I'm back to just a pencil and it's barely fitting. Whew; I should be back to normal in the next few months.

No, I won't post pictures of the pencil test

Oops, skipped yesterday but that's because I went to bed at oh, 9:00. It felt great. I was up at 6 and felt much refreshed. It's HOT here so I finally decided I was going to sleep by myself in our basement. It was the most decadent thing. No offense to husbands, but sleeping alone in a cold basement is really nice when the heat index is over 100.

Yesterday's food:
    Breakfast: two breakfast "muffins", coffee w/ cream
    Lunch: my favorite salad from a local coffee shop w/ blue cheese and bacon. Yes, I put their salad dressing on it but I used just a little bit. Oh, a bit more coffee w/ cream
    Dinner: took the kids to an outdoor play (yuck, it was humid and I was wearing non-breathing work attire) where I snacked on some cheese; then met a friend for dinner and had a grilled chicken salad and a glass of chard.

Did crossfit and almost died: it was a 5K, broken up, with 120 burpees interspersed. Oh, and it was outside. At noon. In crazy hot and humid weather. I felt nauseous the whole time and realized that I suck at running after being a pretty decent half marathoner a few years ago. I don't got it anymore. Note to self: occasionally run just to maintain the ability.

Today:
    Breakfast: two breakfast "muffins" coffee w/ cream
    Lunch: hamburger w/ mustard, small salad, iced coffee w/ cream
    Dinner: Salmon patty on a salad w/ salsa, squash soup (found some in the freezer from the winter! nice surprise)

More crossfit: 100 pushups, 100 situps, 25 pullups, 5 min. plank (yeah, right!) then 50/50/15/2:30. Messed around doing front squats and deadlifts after. Felt weak and wobbly.

We're going on a canoe and camping trip tomorrow afternoon for the whole weekend so I won't get much formal exercise in, and really, the canoeing is more of a float and less of a "row" sort of deal. Mostly, it's a big fun party. So, I think I'll do a fourth day in a row of crossfit tomorrow, just to avoid going too long in between workouts. I can see how people get addicted to CF. I love the energy of being there. Plus, I'm paying a lot of money so I want to get my dollar's worth For the trip this weekend I'm going to practice relaxed moderation. I fear the delicious cookies my friend makes and want to avoid the snacky chips and whatnot.

I weighed myself today and did some measurements to see how tightening up for the past 2 weeks has worked and it's definitely showing results. I'm down to 141 and my waist is back to 27.5. I should dip below 140 with another good week and can keep heading down below 135, hopefully. I don't think my waist has ever been smaller than 26.5 since I've had my first child, so I'll be curious to see how another good month affects that. I don't carry my weight there; it's in my hips/butt. I'm not too focused on weight in and of itself, but I can see where I'm carrying the extra fat so for now it's a good measurement.

For my tracking purposes, I'm posting today's measurements:
    Weight: 141
    Waist at belly button: 27.5
    Hips (widest part): 39
    Thigh: 21

Everything else pretty much is always the same (calf, chest, arm, wrist neck, what else do people measure?)

All right, time for a weekend reset. The canoe trip was full of as much debauchery as I expected. I did limit the cookies, chips, beer, etc pretty well, though I had a super-sweet margarita and lots of processed meat. I did not make it to crossfit on Friday and I don't know if I can go today. I have lunch meeting and then a late in the day appointment. I could possibly make it to the 5:30 class, but that would pretty much ensure that I don't see my little guy at all today since he goes to bed at 6:30. I may do some heavy lifting at home instead. I did get in a nice hour long walk last night. And I just discovered that my little ipod has a very accurate pedometer on it. Fun. My normal walk is about 9500 steps. That sounds like a lot to me, but it's only about 4.8 miles.

Today's food (so far or planned)
    Breakfast: scrambled eggs w/ salsa, coffee w/ cream
    Lunch: salad w/ canned tuna and olive oil and vinegar
    Dinner: Something with the chicken I roasted last night. Maybe chicken and cabbage with tomato sauce or something.

I did my walk last night and just made a chicken leg and thigh on top of a salad with salsa. I felt hungry just before bed but figured I could make up for it with a big breakfast today. Which I did!

Breakfast: 4 slices bacon, 2 oe eggs
    Lunch: Tuna w/ olive oil and vinegar; macadamia nuts- probably a bit more than one serving. Then, I stole a tbls of someone's peanut butter in the cupboard b/c I felt hungry still.
    Dinner: I could make chicken salad, or I also have some ground beef that should probably be cooked. Not sure. A burger does sound kind of good.

Crossfitted at lunch; will probably go on a walk tonight. Forgot to do my hip thrusters yesterday; shoot. I'll get back on track today. I'd like to add push-ups at some point but I get way too much by way of push-up workout right now doing CF.

Woo-hoo, another primal challenge! After taking a bit of a hiatus from the community for a while I wanna join back in again. It's bigger so there's more I should ignore, but still, it has a lot to offer. So, in celebration of the PB, I have a rambling post of thankfulness.

I realized that I don't think I've every pointed out what my profile picture is- a couple of years ago our furnace went out on a -15 degree night and we kept warm by burning these boxes of old Vegetarian Times that I'd kept for some reason (fuel, I guess!). I thought the picture was just about the most primal thing I've ever recorded. So many people here are former well-meaning veggies, so I can't be the only one who diligently subscribed and cooked complicated veggie meals before embracing my grill/smoker/crockpot. All while feeling guilty that I couldn't hack being a vegan for more than week, by the way.

And here I am now, over two years into my opposite-of-vegetarian lifestyle, and I have to watch everyone around me embrace vegetarianism and veganism. I have a sister who just had a baby and I think she exists solely on cabbage and quinoa. I cringe for her and her baby's lack of b vitamins, protein, saturated fat, etc., but I'm trying to remember that we all do what we think is best. At least they get a lot of vitamin d from the sun?

I also think that I'm a good person to talk to if you are frustrated about your spouse. I have a super-stubborn husband whom I could never "recruit" to try anything new. No matter what, he is always steadfastly defensive of what he is currently doing. Right. This. Second. He abhors change, and abhors even more the idea of SOMEONE ELSE urging him to change. Given this, I never say a single word about how I eat unless he asks. Recently (be patient people, this is 2.5 years into it...) he's been asking me about wheat. He was with me on the sugar, with me on the processed foods, and even gets the concept of fat = not deadly, but wheat is good for you, damnit, everyone says so. And besides, he would NEVER stop eating bread. Luckily, he appears to be the picture of health, so I figured his tolerance was much higher than mine. But he has really cut down on wheat lately. It's truly amazing. And I've done nothing except keep on keepin' on, so to speak.

And since I embraced the PB, I have felt very little anxiety. Even if I never lost a pound, never learned to do a handstand pushup, never was able to go through pregnancy without heartburn and little back pain, that is what I am most grateful for in the entire universe. I'm a happy, balanced un-anxious woman with even more responsibilities and things that should be worrying me than before I started. For anyone who hasn't experienced anxiety/depression, you have no idea how to appreciate what you have unless you have this miserable f-ing comparison. While I'm grateful I can have the comparison to appreciate, I would never wish it on anyone.

Happy Primal Challenge everyone! Keep up the great work; amazing things will come to you if you are patient.

I came down with a wicked cold today. I've done saline rinses all day, but I still feel < good. Oh, and in a flakey move I forgot my workout clothes so I couldn't do crossfit at lunch today. Sadness. I had a protein shake for breakfast, spicy vietnamese soup (with rice noodles in it) for lunch, and homemade chicken soup for dinner. It was one of those freakin' amazing fall days that normally makes my heart burst in appreciation to be alive but I just felt so run down and sinus-y. All in all, not a great day. I'm going to go to bed early. Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure.

Oh journaling...how I enjoy you...sporadically. I'd say from my last post until now has been one of my worst months of both eating and exercise in a while. I literally have not eaten wheat in forever, and somehow let it creep in during this month. And boy do I notice it. Yesterday I actually ate a sandwich. It was disappointing, as usual, but I was lured in. Then, today, I ate some potato oles (crappy fried things from a local fast food joint that I have a weird weakness for, even though they leave my mouth feeling coated in grossness). Our dinners and breakfasts at home have been as good as usual, but I sure can do a lot of damage during the work day. Generally, a good challenge can whip me into shape. My crossfit gym is doing a 1 Month No Bread challenge. I like that they are starting to talk more about diet and I want to be super supportive of it.

So, here's my Get Cleaned Up For The Holidays Challenge (and not just to look good in family photos):
    1. October 19=Day 1 (technically starting at 2 p.m.), Thanksgiving = final day. Reward = mom's pumpkin pie
    2. The usual: no grains, legumes, sugar or veggie oil
    3. To help with this: no going out for lunch. At all! Unless I plan on sitting there and drinking coffee and water.
    4. CF x 3 days/week and HL x 2/week
    5. This is a big one I've been lazy about lately (I've been doing a lot of home improvements in the evenings): go for a walk every day, even if it's at midnight on the treadmill. But preferably outside. And preferably with children or pets.
    6. Go to bed at 10! I've been awful about this lately, too. Jeez, I hadn't really noticed how bad this month has been.
    7. Run a timed mile this weekend and run another at the end of the challenge. I'm just curious and have been wanting to do it but haven't gotten my ass to the track.

Upcoming challenges: Annual Halloween party. Trials (that lead to stress that lead to just wanting a treat). Two day conference (soooo boring, I'll just eat this cookie to improve my day).

Coping mechanisms: Order some natural beef jerky. Bring hard boiled eggs with me. Go for walks. Have my ipod full of good podcasts or books. Fast; it feels good. Drink tea. Eat before I go places I know will have tough temptations. Measure myself so I can track my progress.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 1 of Get Cleaned Up For The Holidays Challenge (and not just to look good in family photos):

1. The usual: no grains, legumes, sugar or veggie oil-
    I think I did this, except I put oil and vinegar on my salad and didn't ask what kind of oil (not sure if it was oo or veggie)
    2. To help with this: no going out for lunch. At all! Unless I plan on sitting there and drinking coffee and water.
    Well, I picked up a salad because I thought I grabbed some food from home but it turns out I left it on the kitchen table. It was a great salad with the exception of the unknown oil. But in retrospect, I could have followed this rule by IF-ing. I hadn't had breakfast, though, so my resolve was weak.
    3. CF x 3 days/week and HL x 2/week-
    CF'ed today. Climbed the rope well for the first time!
    4. This is a big one I've been lazy about lately (I've been doing a lot of home improvements in the evenings): go for a walk every day, even if it's at midnight on the treadmill. But preferably outside. And preferably with children or pets.
    Will head out for a walk as soon as my husband gets back from his run. I also went last night. It was nice to get out of the house in the evening.
    5. Go to bed at 10!
    Yes! Well, technically it was 10:11 when I laid down. This means I need to "go to bed" before 10 so that I can actually *be* in bed at 10. Slept like a rock until 7! Yay, kids, for sleeping in. Usually the little guy has me up at 6:15. But it's been cold and dark here in the mornings lately so I think that helps. It was just one year ago that I was going to bed at 11, waking up for 30 minutes 2 x's night, and then getting up at 6. I can't imagine having another baby. Ok, that's a tiny lie. I constantly think about quitting my job and having 3 more babies. The key to that is that I can't imagine having my job AND any more babies.
    6. Run a timed mile this weekend and run another at the end of the challenge. I'm just curious and have been wanting to do it but haven't gotten my ass to the track.
    Plan on doing that Saturday. Can't wait to force the whole family to come with me! I am challenging my daughter to see what she can accomplish.

I also wanted to share that after doing pretty much only heavy lifting, crossfit, and walking for the past, oh 2.5 years or so (discovered primal in June '09 and immediately quit the 50 minute nightly runs), I just ran a 5k in 23:40. That's not an amazing time, but if someone would have told me that I wouldn't run more than a 20 second sprint for two years and only end up 1 minute and 30 seconds off my best time ever? I never would have believed it. Plus, I'm pretty sure a lot of my time had to do with the fact that I started way behind (because I thought I'd be slow) and had to spend the first minute or so walking, and I had no idea how close I was to the finish so didn't really push it during the third mile.

Uh, my coffee consumption is getting out of control. I have previously thought about switching to tea. I don't think I want to pile that on my challenge right now, but maybe next week. Or the week after.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast