Thread: Primal cooking for groups page

ekseattle is offline Junior Member

Primal cooking for groups

Primal Fuel
    So I have a potluck this saturday at the crossfit facility I attend. Any good ideas for something fun to cook up?
    Thanks for any help as I am drawing a complete blank on something fun and easy thats good for a group

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    In group settings where you know there are non-meat-eaters or where you aren't sure I'd stick with primal vegetable dishes or make two dishes - one meaty goodness - one green. Are you looking for a hot dish or something cold?

One of my fallback *easy* party trays is a 2lb bag of 30 count cooked and peeled shrimp or bigger (by bigger, of course, I mean a smaller number) with the tail still on. Wrap the shrimp around a fat cherry tomato and jam a toothpick through both to hold them in place. Supply a small bowl of old bay and a small bowl of real butter to be melted.

-or-

Sear asparagus drenched in a 50/50 mix of olive oil and butter on the grill. Be sure to include tons of garlic in that fat mixture. Best served hot, but if you sear them so they're still crisp in the middle they are also good cold.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    chili. tons and tons of chili.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    I'll second Brahnamin's asparagus suggestion, but I like to wrap prosciutto around it first, then grill. Awesome finger food. You can also serve it with a homemade lemon-garlic aioli. (Aw man! I need to eat lunch! This is making me hungry.)

There's a great broccoli salad with bacon in the PBC.

Or deviled eggs. Meatballs on toothpicks (as soon as the daughter takes her nap, I'm posting an easy lamb meatball recipe on my blog if you want to check it out later). Antipasto platter with meats (pepperoni, salami, ham, etc.), cheeses, olives, and nuts.

I'm guessing if you were to find a Paleo/Primal dessert and bring that, it would go over very well.

See lamb-feta meatball recipe here: http://paleoperiodical.com/2011/03/0...h-greek-salad/
    Last edited by Buttercup; 03-04-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added recipe.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Thanks for the advice! My first choice was chili...it doesn't get much simpler than that, but someone else is going to bring that.
    I do like the idea of the asparagus however! I think I will go that route along with the pork shoulder I have going slow and low right now for some pulled pork goodness (not the easiest..but at least I can forget about it for 8 hours while it cooks)

@Buttercup, those meatballs look great!

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by ekseattle View Post
    @Buttercup, those meatballs look great!
    Thanks! They were really good.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.