Thread: For those that cut out nuts- did you also cut out coconut? page

nopie is offline Senior Member

For those that cut out nuts- did you also cut out coconut?

Primal Fuel
    I am doing a whole 30 and I am also eliminating fruits and nuts. For anyone who has eliminated nuts, either for a period of time or completely- did you also cut out coconut products (I use coconut oil frequently and coconut milk occasionally)?

I really want to go as "pure" as possible for these 30 days and am cutting out fruits, nuts, nightshades and egg whites. This is not long term but I want to see how I feel at the end of it and re-introduce things after the 30 days if desired.

Thoughts?

What is a good omega 3 ratio'ed fat source that is not derived from nuts or seeds?

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Coconut isn't really a nut per se, it is a drupe, which is a fruit.
    Coconut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    No, do not worry about cutting out coconut products for whole 30.

Good fats for n3:n6 that play nicely with whole 30: Grass fed tallow.

Good meats for n3:n6 that play nicely with whole 30: Grass fed ruminant muscle and offal (beef, lamb, goat), oily fish (sardines, anchovies, salmon, etc.), brains.

Good luck!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I thought that night shades weren't part of the whole30, either?

I just went back and re-read your post.
    Why eliminate egg whites?
    Why eliminate fruit?
    Why eliminate nuts?
    I was thrown by the night shades, but those I at least understand. The others completely confuse me. I know it's only for 30 days, but you're going to have some serious cravings without any fruits.
    Coconuts might not be nuts, but they are fruits, I believe, so whether you cut them out as nuts or as fruit, they don't seem to fit your plan.
    Last edited by melodious; 03-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I limit (temperate) nuts because of their high PUFA content; coconuts being a tropical fruit don't need so many unsaturates, so I'm cool with them.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    I know it's only for 30 days, but you're going to have some serious cravings without any fruits.
    I am on week 4 of whole30 and I cut out fruits completely, unless you count coconut flakes which I have about twice a week. I am not having serious cravings at all. Sometimes I'll have a craving, especially if I see something mentioned or I smell my spouses food, but nothing overwhelming and definitely able to manage. Before doing Primal, I was hungry ALL the time and nothing made me feel full. I had wild cravings, and so far I'm not experiencing that.
    I don't think because one person experiences something means that another person will, we are all built differently.

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad1 View Post
    I don't think because one person experiences something means that another person will, we are all built differently.
    Agreed, in some people, fruit sets off major binges!

I have not eaten fruit as part of my Primal plan in general, because I'm in a weightloss phase and am keeping things low carb right now - and I haven't had any issues...

I do eat coconut oil, milk, cream, flakes, butter - I consider it an entire food group! ; ) I think of it more as a source of healthy fat than either fruit or nut....
    Last edited by rkj1969; 03-03-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I am cutting out fruit and nuts mostly to eliminate cravings actually

I find that these foods tend to make me hungrier.. and I tend to over eat on them.

Now that I've gone a few days without the cravings are basically gone, for now. Just didn't know how coconut fit in exactly. I think I will continue to use coconut oil- but not coconut milk. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense... but it's how I'm seeing it working.