Thread: Primalizing Chicken Francese? page

Unicorn is offline Senior Member

Primalizing Chicken Francese?

Primal Fuel
    DH's dinner is tomorrow, and he has requested chicken francese. With angel hair pasta. I am not even going to try to negotiate out the pasta (will make spagetti squash as an option), but I am trying to think of how best to do the chicken.

Usually chicken francese is a breaded chicken breast, sauteed with garlic and lemon. I usually add some parmesan into the bread crumbs. I was thinking that I would only use parmesan for the crust. Has anyone tried that?

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    You might want to try some finely crushed pork rinds with the Parmesan for the "breading". You'll get a much more pleasant texture and crispiness.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    That is a delicate dish, not meant to be crispy. I'd use almond flour. It's finer and delicate tasting. BTW, true Chicken Francese is not breaded, it is battered - dipped in egg and flour, never made with bread crumbs.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    That is a delicate dish, not meant to be crispy. I'd use almond flour. It's finer and delicate tasting. BTW, true Chicken Francese is not breaded, it is battered - dipped in egg and flour, never made with bread crumbs.
    In that case, almond or coconut flour it is! I'd prefer coconut, personally, as I would be scared to fry almond anything due to the high levels of PUFA oxidization.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, pork rinds. I might give that a try! I was thinking almond flour, but did not want to run the risk of it tasting 'almondy'. For the same reason, I am not going to attempt coconut flour, as DH does not like coconut at all, and would pick that up immediately.

Suzan- I hear you about 'true' chicken francese! We just have (had, before primal) gotten into the 'habit' of the breaded, crispy chicken.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    The small amount of almond flour used in this dish isn't anything to worry about nutritionally. Coconut flour absorbs liquids, so more eggs will have to be used, and the chicken may still end up dry. JMO.

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately this is a little too late for the OP, but I saw this post and was inspired. If you're not a fan of dairy, you can probably try it with coconut oil and just almond flour on the breading, but I can't vouch for whether or not that'll be any good.

Chicken Francese

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    I was thinking that I would only use parmesan for the crust. Has anyone tried that?
    Oh yes, dip the chicken in beaten egg and then in parmesan, the cheap stuff in the jar. It is fabulous sauteed or deep fried. Awesome with tilspia and catfish as well. Try chicken parmesan this way, you will love it.