Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give me your best fennel recipe! page

Fufuhead is offline Member

Give me your best fennel recipe!

Shop Now
    Help, I bought fennel and I need to use it before it goes bad! I've looked up fennel salad, roasted fennel, recipes but maybe I have chef's block. Does anyone out there have a favorite way to prepare fennel?
    My Primal Journal

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    I love sauteing it in coconut oil, adding in some minced garlic toward the end, and then browning some ground beef along with it. Simple and mighty tasty.

Also, if it came with the seeds/greens, add those in toward the end of the cooking process, too!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    My favourite way is to cut it into slices, and put it with a chicken (well smeared with lots of butter) into a le creuset lidded cast iron casserole pot with rhe juice of a lemon, salt and pepper and cook it fairly low in the oven (160C) for two hours - until the chicken is done. Remove chicken to serving dish and carve, add a tub of sour cream to the fennel / buttery juices and stir to make a sauce which I pour over the chicken. It is wonderful! If you have the feathery leaves from the fennel, chop them and stir into the sauce just prior to serving.

I'd use two or three fennel bulbs for a decent sized chicken. If there is no fennel - this works really well with celery too.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    whoa that sounds tempting (minus the sour cream - it'd prob be OK w/o it, right? - i really can't stand sour cream). I love fennel, but i've only used it as an ingredient in soups.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Saute it in coconut oil with fresh cranberries and your favorite sausage (sliced) Serve with a fried egg on top. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, it's yummy.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    whoa that sounds tempting (minus the sour cream - it'd prob be OK w/o it, right? - i really can't stand sour cream). I love fennel, but i've only used it as an ingredient in soups.
    If you are OK with ordinary cream that would work well too.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Finely chop and make a slaw (can add som cabbage if you like) with lemon/orang/lime juice, a little balsalmic, parsley, scallions: toss, and let sit a bit, or put by in frig.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    Chop it into pieces and coat with olive oil. Slice two leeks and do the same. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the a 375 degree oven for 20 mins.

gfprof is offline Member
    Similar: I cut it into rings, bake for 45 minutes on 350 with a lot of ghee (or butter), salt and pepper. Cover 1/2 the time to soften, then take the lid off for the rest of the time. Easy as can be and tastes great with pork! Fennel is my 'holy crap I'm too tired to cook' vegetable.

Fufuhead is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    My favourite way is to cut it into slices, and put it with a chicken (well smeared with lots of butter) into a le creuset lidded cast iron casserole pot with rhe juice of a lemon, salt and pepper and cook it fairly low in the oven (160C) for two hours - until the chicken is done. Remove chicken to serving dish and carve, add a tub of sour cream to the fennel / buttery juices and stir to make a sauce which I pour over the chicken. It is wonderful! If you have the feathery leaves from the fennel, chop them and stir into the sauce just prior to serving.

I'd use two or three fennel bulbs for a decent sized chicken. If there is no fennel - this works really well with celery too.
    YUM! Running out to buy a chicken now.... Does the chicken skin still crisp up with the Le Creuset lid on?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Saute it in coconut oil with fresh cranberries and your favorite sausage (sliced) Serve with a fried egg on top. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, it's yummy.
    That sounds so interesting and very easy, maybe it would also be a good topping for roast turkey or turkey burger. Cranberries always make me think of Thanksgiving.
    My Primal Journal

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast