Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Alcohol- Where you at? page 8

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all. I was thinking of starting a new thread but since I saw this one I thought this would be a good place to ask. I LOVE my good, craft brewed beer and it loves me. That said, I've been considering how to cut back. I listened to a podcast of Dr. Lauren Noel a while ago and she talks about using animal fat to help with addiction. Here's the link:
    ADDICTION: The Hidden Epidemic with Pam Killeen 06/12 by DrLoRadio | Blog Talk Radio

Now, I don't know how good Dr. Noel is but I really can't afford to "go to her" so to speak so I was wondering if any of you had heard of this concept or understood how it worked. I probably DON'T get enough animal fat. I tend to eat a decent amount of ground, grass fed beef, of course that's lean. I also eat a decent amount of pastured chicken breast. I like dark meat but I also like the breast and I like that there's no bones/cartiledge, etc. I AM thinking about getting a rotisserie for my grill so that I can cook more whole chickens. I'll have a steak once in a while but not super often and I'm also a big fan of making fajitas which involve skirt steak. I have noticed that when I drink raw, grass fed milk that I feel full very quickly. I hope that satiety is not the basis of her concept here.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't know a lot about fat helping w/alcohol. But I wanted to let you know that while not a huge source of fat, your 95/5 lean ground beef does have substantial fat in it.

95/5 that the grocery store uses is a by weight measurement.

However, 1 ounce of 95/5 ground beef has 38 calories and 1.4 grams of fat.
    1.4 grams of fat x 9 calories per gram = 12.6 calories.
    12.6 calories of fat divided by 38 calories total = .33 = 33% of the calories are fat.

While I know that 33% of total calories being fat is low for primal eating, I just wanted to point out a misconception that a lot of people have about lean meats.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for that JoanieL. I suppose I had that misperception too, esp after a letter Mark posted on the blog the other day, this one: Dear Mark: Beef Suet, Lowered HR, Alcohol, and Long Easy Runs | Mark's Daily Apple

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    We avoid the half empties at all costs. It's too stressful and we know that stress will stall weight loss.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678