Thread: Help Understanding My Cholesterol (VAP) page

jeffs is offline Junior Member

Help Understanding My Cholesterol (VAP)

Shop Now
    I posted this on PaleoHacks but wanted some more input to satisfy my mind.

Since I'm generally new to Paleo (about 8 months) and not well-versed in the whole cholesterol testing numbers thing, I thought I would post some of the numbers I got from my VAP test to see what everyone thinks my total numbers were kind of high so want to make sure I'm not overlooking things I should be concerned with.

First, I am a 57 year old male, 5ft 7in, 145 lbs. Was on statins before going Paleo. Stopped when I started. Lost about 20lbs since on the diet. Eat mostly grass-fed meats/chicken, good amount of fish, egss, some dairy (mostly cream) veggies, and cook alot with coconut oil and coconut milk. Eat some fruit (mostly blueberries and strawberries) and indulge in dark chocolate a few days/week. Oh and take some vitamin D (~4,000 iu) and exercise about 3-5 days/wk. (and recently some Magnesium - about 200mg/day)

So here are the numbers, as best as I can interpret them or what I think are important ones:

General #'s:
    Total Cholesterol: 277 mg/dL
    HDL: 72 mg/dL
    Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 3.8
    LDL (calculated): 196 mg/dL
    Triglycerides: 43 mg/dL

More Detailed Total
    LDL-C Direct: 214 mg/dL
    Total HDL-C Direct: 65 mg/dL
    Total VLDL-C Direct: 16 mg/dL
    Triglycerides-Direct: 53 mg/dL

Total Non-HDL-C (LDL+VDL): 230 mg/dl
    Total APOB 100-Calc: 141 mg/dl

LP(a) Cholesterol: 14.0 mg/dl
    IDL-C: 16 mg/dl
    REAL-LDL-C: 185 mg/dl
    SUM Total LDL-C: 214 mg/dl

Not exactly sure how to read the Pattern A/B section, as there is just a bracketed area with an asterisk about 1/3 of the way into the Pattern A section. After the bracketed area are the following results:

REMNANT LIPO (IDL+VLDL3): 25 mg/dl

HDL-2 (Large buoyant): 18 mg/dl
    HDL-3 (small dense): 47 mg/dl
    VLDL-3 (Remnant LIPO): 9 mg/DL

And also on the test results: Glucose 90 mg/dL
    Vitamin D, 25-OH total: 41 ng/mL

Oh and Blood pressure: 120/80. Don't have my pre-Paleo numbers

My Dr. thinks I should go on statins (Crestor)

So worries? not so bad? just ignore. any comments appreciated. From reading Griff's explanation I think I am ok. A couple people on Paleohacks thought my APOB was a bit high. Any other thoughts?

Jeff

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Please don't go on statins! You are at a much lower risk than many people your doctor wouldn't tell to go on statins. By far the best predictor of cardiac mortality is HDL:Triglyceride ratio, and while LDL may be somewhat corrolated, it is the pattern B LDL that is producing the statistic, because people get very insulin resistant, eat lots of grains and sugar and produce small dense LDL and then have a heart attack. You are simply eating a lot of of cream and coconut and it is increasing your LDL, big deal that's not a bad thing because the only atherogenic lipoproteins are the pattern B Low-density lipoprotein subfractions and the long-... [Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005] - PubMed result. See here, all you really ought to be concerned with is HDL to trigs. And you are healthy. Beyond low-density lipoprotein cholesterol: respec... [J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009] - PubMed result

What you ought to do to improve is ensure a high magnesium intake (make sure it's citrate. Or at least not oxide) supplements at at least 500mg a day, make sure to balance your omega 3 and 6 fats, take a bit more vitamin d, and consider eating some chicory root if your stomach handles it well. That should drop your trigs and increase your HDL even more and increase your LDL subfraction and decrease your glucose moreso. But really, you have nothing to worry about.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    Why are the HDL and Trig numbers different? I always thought those were direct no matter what test you got. Is that not true?

I second Stabby's advice not to go on statins. Your HDL is great and trigs are low. Plus it's pattern A. I wouldn't worry too much personally.

jeffs is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses.

I've been taking Chelated Magnesium (Bluebonnet brand) as someone suggested that was the best form? Taking about 200-400 mg day for about the past week (mainly due to some sore muscles). Have read that too much can cause diarrhea.

My cream intake is pretty small, bit with some blueberries every couple of days. do cook alot of Thai food so consume a good amount of coconut products. I also eat salads everyday with carrots and cukes, spinach a couple of days/week along with swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflower and sometimes green beans.

And I'm holding strong and resisting the statins. When the Dr office called they only gave me the totals and calculated LDL -- looks like they never even looked at the full report. May seek out a new Dr.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs View Post
    ... When the Dr office called they only gave me the totals and calculated LDL -- looks like they never even looked at the full report. May seek out a new Dr.
    Good lord. Ask them flat out "Did you even look at the full report" just to see what they say. That's appalling.