Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Nacho's Nuggets: Ramblings, Crap and Other Odds and Ends page

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member

Nacho's Nuggets: Ramblings, Crap and Other Odds and Ends

Primal Fuel
    So here I am ...exactly 1 day short of being Primal for 8 weeks and Im starting a journal. I guess its better late than never. But that is the story of my life, isnt it (yes, Im talking to myself here)?

Anyway...I guess I should summarize how the first eight weeks of being primal have went for me.

When I started on 01-04-2011...I had just finished a year in 2010 that saw a lot of peaks and valleys. The biggest "peak", I guess, would have to have been my weight. The one thing I did do right at the beginning of all of this is I weighed myself before starting anything.That weight was 248 lbs!!!! OMG!
    I cant believe I weighed that much. I am not even 5'8 (5'7 and 3/4 inches exactly). So, I guess all of the "living" I did in 2010 had accumulated all of this flab. It made me the largest I have ever been in my life.

And what was all of that "living" anyway? Eating whatever I wanted as my "mood" dictated. What did it get me? Fat with a ton of heartburn (I was taking TUMS several times a day) and looking at my bloated belly in disgust. Feeling full all the time and not having an ounce of appetite....yet still managing to over eat everyday.

And then there was the drinking....yes, the drinking. Wine. Not enough to appear outwardly drunk by any means....but every day and several glasses a day. And large glasses at that. Draining a small wine bottle while filling up two glassfulls. Seriously? Where was this leading you to?? Certainly not to father or husband or son or brother or friend of the year. No, it was leading you to "drunkie". Fat drunkie.

And you kept the pretense of being in shape with continuing to work out. Yes, your workouts were/are very hard and intense. And, yes, you do move a lot of weight for a 41 year old man. You were hitting the 100lb heavy bag several times a week for 6-10x3:00 rounds. And you were running several miles a week (6-9 miles in 2-3 outings). And you were weight training in the gym you built in the garage.....very hard. All good. But the problem was never the working out. It has never been the working out, has it? The problem has always been the diet and drinking with you (me).

So, you made the decision to change your life. Not to just temporarily fix it....like last time when you did LA Weight Loss with Mandy (wife) and dropped 20 lbs...but to fix it forever. Yes, you made the decision to change your lifestyle. And against all the ridicule from family and friends, acquaitances and even enemies...you chose Paleo/Primal living. What a decision! This is me...telling you (me)...great job!
    Hindsight is definitely 20/20 but you got it 100% right this time.

Primal living has been a god send for you (me). I feel better than I have in the last 20 years. Maybe even 30. You are enjoying eating good food that is GOOD for you (me)...eating when you want, as much as you want and not EVER feeling hungry and "hollow" like when you were following LA Weight Loss. No, hopefully, you wont ever feel that way again. And the drinking has subsided too. No longer do you think..."Mmm...I'd like a glass of wine.." on the way home from work. Have you had some since going Primal? Certainly. On ~ 2 occasions with friends. And you had several glasses and even felt a "buzz" like old days. But what is different now, when you look at the half empty wine bottle on the counter, is that there is no longing for a glass like before. No, in fact, there is a new feeling. There is a feeling of...."I dont want that. It will stall my weight loss as alcohol is burned as first priority in metabolism." And then you dont drink it. And in less than a second the craving is gone. Congratulations...you have done well here. You really needed to fix this one.

So, on to the progress you've made. First, you have officially dropped 20 lbs. The weight on the scale does fluctuate between 17-20lbs currently, but seems to be concrete at around 19.5lbs most days. I'll give you the extra 0.5 lbs. Congratulations, you've done as well as the last time you dieted now. Except that you were heavier than you were before at the start this time. So, you need to drop more to get to where you want to be in the end.Again-all of that doesnt matte: you are doing it. And doing it well! You have been successful in adapting the lifestyle to specifically fit your needs. Foods that are being eaten are both primal and natural....and stuff you have mostly always eaten. Also, you are doing good with eating when hungry and avoiding not eating for long stretches. Yes, you may not ever be a candidate for IF...as your hunger is now expressed as heartburn. When the stomach is empty...the acid "hurts" the old ulcer spots and everywhere else. So, dont leave it empty long enough to allow that to happen.At least you dont have to deal with constant hunger pains any longer!!!! Those were worse and following CW eating...unavoidable. Just plan to eat when hungry and often enough to avoid the heartburn pain (note to self: mornings seems the easiest time to fast. There is no acid related stomach pain. Extend it beyond 12 hours and see if you can make it to lunch w/out eating).

Also, you have lost inches. Yes, you haven't officially measured since noticing that you have moved in two notch holes on your belt...but it is physically impossible to pull in the belt that much further without cutting off your circulation at your waist, were it as big as it used to be. Trust me. You know you thought about trying! And the improved image in the mirror as well as improved vascularity in your arms isnt a lie either. I know its hard to believe after all this time being "masssive" and built wider than you are tall....but you might actually be shedding body fat as planned. Yes, its true. You know you are literally always in ketosis...as measured by the ketostix. And the smell of your pee? Uhh! That has to be ketones. It never smelled like that before eating primal. So, the diet is working and doing what it should for you. Trust it.

And the working out...OMG...the energy! The stamina! The power! The recovery! Loving it! You know you would change to this lifestyle JUST to have that by itself. It is a fantastic feeling. And it is working. You are re-shaping your physique. I know you cant wait to post pics of the "new" you....but you just aren't there quite yet. Let's get a little bit further along before we go there. Maybe at 15% BF??? It shouldnt be but just a few more months...

In summary, for your first journal entry and to wrap up the first eight weeks of primal living, this is good. You have done well and are making serious strides towards both the physical embodiment of the person you want to be...as well as all of the inner fixes that were required and not related to outward appearances. Confirmation of progress for outward appearance is easy and can be seen in the mirror & pictures. Confirmation of inner progress will have to be obtained from a physical with your doctor. But lets wait until April for that to happen. That will give you one more month as well as ensuring that Dr- that -you -aren't -a -fan- of has moved and his replacement is practicing. It will be a nice way to start off the new Dr/Patient relationship with him! Keep up the hard workouts (easy) and stay motivated with the diet. That will make the most of your new lifestyle for your you in meeting your goals.

And now, you are getting the "acid-heartburn" of the empty stomach (you have been fasting this morning. Its been 13 hours since you last ate....). Let's go get some water to drink to see if that can hold you off 1 more hour until lunch...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

March 3rd's workout went very well yesterday. Chest & Shoulders. I was strong in the bench press. I used more weight than I have for more sets than previously(i.e. 2 sets of 5 with my heaviest weight)....and all was accomplished. I did 7 sets of bench press and 3 or 4 sets of dumbbell flyes. For shoulders, I used the cable pully machine and did side lateral raises and reverse laterals for the rear delts. I also did front raises (x2) with the bands and shoulder shrugs on the smith machine for 3 sets. I was in and out of the gym in 60 minutes.

Today, hardly sore at all. I still have trouble getting used to this!!! There is a tiny bit of soreness in my pecs when I flex them, but nothing like what it used to be when I was following CW. Amazing...the quick recovery this lifestyle provides my body.

All in all, a very good workout yesterday. I want to try to get legs (i.e. sprints ) in this weekend. That will be three workouts for the week if I do...

Today is 3-06-2011. Had a good weekend. Experimented with allowing back red wine some. Drank several glasses Friday evening (3) and 1 last night. Lost another 1.5 lbs and have kept it off through mid day today (Sunday). Apparently, a wine "flush" following the guidelines of PB and drinking it only 1 or at most 2 nights per week can help. The downside....I had a headache yesterday (Saturday). Keep that in mind....headache and loss of motivation = the downside to drinking wine.

Weight = 227.8 lbs. 21 down from start.

Looks like no sprinting today is going to happen...pouring down rain with Thunderstorms outside. Tomorrow will be fine.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Love the first journal entry! First, congrats on your loss. (I've never said that before; loss is usually sad unless you're Grokin'. ) I've been following another thread you started, the one about your wife not wanting to hear about Primal. And some of your other postings. You seem to have this Primal thing down pat! I'm still, after 4 weeks, tweaking and not sure if I am doing it right. Anyhoo, love how you were talking to yourself but talking to us as well. Sometimes we all need that straight talk. I'll be following your journal; I'm interested to see if and how your wife's view changes. I have a husband who isn't interested in following ("But there's not much to eat!" Ummm...no, there's plenty to eat, just not what you want to eat. Two different things. One day he'll catch on!)
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Thanks for the positive comments, Kris C. I have always loved to write-that's why when I post something it is usually about 1 mile long! Sometimes I go back an re-read my post and Im like...."Did I really write all that? What a wind bag!"

As for my wife, she is still in serious denial (i.e. and not the river in Egypt). She has kind of plateaued around 10lbs down from her starting weight with her WW diet (I am officially down 21 now). And I can see her struggle with hunger as well as cravings for carb filled processed crap. But she insists on maintaining that lifestyle...and I am resolved not to say anything more about it. I am going to let my progress do my talking. Results speak much louder than any words I could say....

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Your journal title is taunting me. Nachos nachos nachos............... my former favorite junk food.

Give your wife some time. I think she will come around. Sometimes women feel that we have next to no control in our lives (especially busy moms) so she may be feeling like this is the ONE area where she can take full control and is grasping to that with all her might.

Hopefully it won't take too long because her only next step on CW to get past a plateau, IMO, is to ramp up the moving/lifting part or again cut calories *sigh*.

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Your journal title is taunting me. Nachos nachos nachos............... my former favorite junk food.

Give your wife some time. I think she will come around. Sometimes women feel that we have next to no control in our lives (especially busy moms) so she may be feeling like this is the ONE area where she can take full control and is grasping to that with all her might.

Hopefully it won't take too long because her only next step on CW to get past a plateau, IMO, is to ramp up the moving/lifting part or again cut calories *sigh*.
    Wow...Moo...you and I are SO alike! I got the nickname "Nachobrawler" in college from one of my 4 room mates. I used to eat nachos....all the time. In fact, during those tough days of being a penniless college student I used to buy nacho stuff (i.e. tortilla chips, salsa and velveeta cheese) to eat for my food FOR THE WEEK. $10 went a long way for buying nacho stuff back then. As for the "brawler" part, let's just say I had a few altercations at some local establishments. ;-) ...So, the nickname was born and it stuck.

As for your comments about my wife's situation, again, you are dead on. She is an extremely busy mom (we have 4!). And she likes control normally anyway. ;-) You have her problem pegged. She is at the point where she will have to cut portion size again and/or ramp up the exercise to get further into her weight loss. Its no longer coming off easy and she is constantly tempted with the food around us (i.e. the 4 kids) as well as hunger pains from riding the insulin spike up and down. I can see her willpower gets tested a lot.

And then she sees me happily making my bacon and eggs and eating what I want (from her perspective...)and how much I want and STILL losing weight & inches. And I think that makes her more determined to do it her way because of our last conversation about it.

One other point, my wife hates working out. She is good at it when she does it (and she has natural muscles for someone who NEVER lifts) but it is not at the top of her priority list...or even on the list. So, she sees me losing and I think rationalizes some of that to my incessant work outs. So, she can say "Well, he is losing more because he also exercises". And in a way that is true but I have always worked out for longer than we have been married, dating or have known each other. So, the changes to my person are definitely not related to the lifting! My body has "been there done that" for 28 years of my life. The new change in me is related to the lifestyle change not the lifting. I don't know if she sees that or not...

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    LOL! I couldn't afford nacho fixins in college. My dad used to haul in 50 lb bags of rice because he was afraid I was melting away. My roomies and I got very creative with the rice. Goes with everything cheap. Salsa, tabasco, ranch dressing. We spent little on actual food and lots on beer. Thank goodness my vegetarian days are over. I have not eaten rice since then.

I get a lot of workouts done with my kids at the park. I like to take over the monkey bars. I get a lot of ideas from Al Kavaldo's blog, but he is more monkey-esque than I. I have a great time and before I know it there are 10 other kids jumping in. I like to lift too but right now I have to take what I can get. I'm moving to another state on the 18th so have much to do and canceled ye old gym membership in Dec because I was supposed to move then but the people who own the house changed their mind ............. then changed it again.............and again............and ok, now this time they are serious. Anyhow, she might enjoy this.

I know how busy life is with kids and she has to do what she can. Some women just can't fathom working out after a day of our general routines but I actually find it quite exhilarating. I often get workouts done before the kids are awake. I need my time to myself in the mornings so I get up early. Now that I no longer am a chronic cardio head life is goooooooooooood in that department.

It sounds like you are supportive towards her and that is probably the best thing you can do. Keep the snickering to a minimum. LOL. Her getting on board would benefit your entire family. My kids are primal. My sisters kids are not and never stop eating. Ever. She has 6 of them. Mine eat three meals and a snack. They eat breakfast at 7:15 and the school gives them lunch at 9:50 in the morning so when they get home at 3 they sometimes want something. Usually apple slices with almond butter. On weekends they don't need or want a snack.

You are making great progress so keep up the good work! I can't wait to hang a punching bag in my new garage. Woot!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    LOL! I couldn't afford nacho fixins in college. My dad used to haul in 50 lb bags of rice because he was afraid I was melting away. My roomies and I got very creative with the rice. Goes with everything cheap. Salsa, tabasco, ranch dressing. We spent little on actual food and lots on beer. Thank goodness my vegetarian days are over. I have not eaten rice since then.

I get a lot of workouts done with my kids at the park. I like to take over the monkey bars. I get a lot of ideas from Al Kavaldo's blog, but he is more monkey-esque than I. I have a great time and before I know it there are 10 other kids jumping in. I like to lift too but right now I have to take what I can get. I'm moving to another state on the 18th so have much to do and canceled ye old gym membership in Dec because I was supposed to move then but the people who own the house changed their mind ............. then changed it again.............and again............and ok, now this time they are serious. Anyhow, she might enjoy this.

I know how busy life is with kids and she has to do what she can. Some women just can't fathom working out after a day of our general routines but I actually find it quite exhilarating. I often get workouts done before the kids are awake. I need my time to myself in the mornings so I get up early. Now that I no longer am a chronic cardio head life is goooooooooooood in that department.

It sounds like you are supportive towards her and that is probably the best thing you can do. Keep the snickering to a minimum. LOL. Her getting on board would benefit your entire family. My kids are primal. My sisters kids are not and never stop eating. Ever. She has 6 of them. Mine eat three meals and a snack. They eat breakfast at 7:15 and the school gives them lunch at 9:50 in the morning so when they get home at 3 they sometimes want something. Usually apple slices with almond butter. On weekends they don't need or want a snack.

You are making great progress so keep up the good work! I can't wait to hang a punching bag in my new garage. Woot!
    Thanks for the support, Moo. And good luck with your move. I hope it works out for you the way you want it to...

And as for the wife, she is a stubborn woman. Very smart (she was her graduating class's salutatorian by a few tenths of a point!) and competitive and we have the same degree (Biology/Chemistry minor). So, a lot of times I think she sees me as the competition. But I just need to stick to the blueprint and let my results do the talking. She will come around eventually (hopefully!). And yes, I turn my head and cover my face when I snicker! ;-)

Oh...one more thing...++++++1,000,000 with the punching bag in your garage! Do it if you can. Hitting the heavy bag is the 2nd best cardio workout you can get next to swimming. And it also builds muscle and is a stress reliever to boot. I also jump rope in between rounds (I use a timer that counts 3:00 rounds for me) for extra cardio. Its great and I love it. You definitely should try it if you can...

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast