Thread: The Power of Flow page

nax
    nax is offline Member

The Power of Flow

Shop Now
    I was going back and reading Mark's blog posts and my attention was snagged by the post How to Recognize and Tap Into the Power of Flow. It soon became apparent to me, as an introvert, that flow is a mechanism that I use almost daily (usually through some form of exercise) to replenish my energy that has been drained by the daily grind/stressors. Flow seems to me to be possibly easier to attain for introverts as, in general, solo activities give energy back versus extroverts gaining energy from social interactions.

So to my fellow introverts, and those extroverts that may want to learn more about your "opposites", here is just one of what I'm sure are many blogs/resources on the Interwebs.

The Introvert's Corner | Psychology Today
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    J. Stanton

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member
    Hey, that's a great link for us introverts! There are some great articles there. Thanks!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yes. So true. Introverts charge their batteries alone (or with one special person). The spend the energy in social situations.

Extroverts charge their batteries in social situations and spend the energy when they have to be alone.

Makes so much more sense than the CW definitions that make both introverts and extroverts look twisted.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I loved the book Flow by Mihaly C. In it he mentions that one of the keys to self-actualization is to make one's alone time a time for growth so that one emerges more in tune with oneself and more learned and insightful to go interact with the world once more, and more effectively. This sort of thing is lacking in extreme extroverts most of the time. It doesn't have to be like that but far too many people have sub-optimal experience when they're alone and it can undermine their social life. To optimal experience we have to learn how to turn boredom and anxiety into growth and introverts seem to have the natural advantage. Extroverts have the advantage in being naturally grounded in a social environment and thus tend to have more purpose on average. Mihaly stresses that the vast majority of people are going to need to master both their social and alone time to get the most out of life.

This definitely describes my experience. I can get a lot of flow by myself but tend to be more self-conscious and less engaged when I'm with others. Something to work on, I suppose.

That's so cool Mark did a Flow post. It was good
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

nax
    nax is offline Member
    Thanks for the book suggestion Stabby! I'll have to check that out.

From my experience, the degree to which we are all connected now (cell phones, internet, instant messenging, facebook) makes it more difficult to find that alone time (or more difficult to make that decision to find it). I know when I'm in my recharging flow state that when the phone rings it's much harder to get back to flow and frankly makes me pissy at times.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    J. Stanton

doskiball is offline Junior Member
    Kennedy and Lucas have done a fine job in throwing the proverbial cat among the pigeons with their recent article in American Quarterly. In these politically charged times, with the United States seemingly out of kilter with the rest of the world.
    thats good for the nude couples