Thread: Supplements - what to get? page

ForbiddenFruit is offline Junior Member

Supplements - what to get?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I'm off out shopping for the coconut milk and oil as recommended for the non-dairy creamer and I think I need to look at supplements while I'm there.

I'm currently taking a 'timed release multivitamin and minerals' plus a 1000mg Starflower Oil Capsule. Looking at Fitday I'm low on Vit D, Calcium and Iron. The multivitamin makes up the Vit D and Iron but not the calcium.

Should I be supplementing Calcium? Especially as a peri-menopausal woman (I'm thinking osteoporosis?). Anything else recommended?

TIA

FF

Jamie is offline Junior Member
    Branched chain amino acids, 2000ius vitamin d3, folic acid. Rather than take iron supplements, maybe try to consume for red meat and even spinach.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Multi vit is not sufficient for Vitamin D3 in my opinion.

Where you live, or how how much sunlight you get, have gotten in recent history will determine the level of vitd3 you need to supp with. I live in london and take 5000iu daily, and i know of people who take 10000iu a day. You need to get tested and then experiment.

As for supps, i only use vitamin d3 and fish oil(as fish cannot really be trusted in mainland england). i would question the multi-vit you are taking, as it could be useless. Start with nutrition first and foremost, and then see where you are at in around 12 weeks.

But VITD3 is the priority, IF IF IF you cannot get sunlight daily. IF you can get sunlight daily, do so, as it is preferable to taking a gel capsule.

ForbiddenFruit is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Multi vit is not sufficient for Vitamin D3 in my opinion.

Where you live, or how how much sunlight you get, have gotten in recent history will determine the level of vitd3 you need to supp with. I live in london and take 5000iu daily, and i know of people who take 10000iu a day. You need to get tested and then experiment.

As for supps, i only use vitamin d3 and fish oil(as fish cannot really be trusted in mainland england). i would question the multi-vit you are taking, as it could be useless. Start with nutrition first and foremost, and then see where you are at in around 12 weeks.

But VITD3 is the priority, IF IF IF you cannot get sunlight daily. IF you can get sunlight daily, do so, as it is preferable to taking a gel capsule.
    You've both recommended Vit D3 (amongst other things). Is that exactly what I'm looking for on the shelf? How does it differ from just straight D?

Rocco, I'm on the Dorset coast so probably a smidge more sunshine than you but not much in it. I walk the dog a couple of times a day but only short bursts as he's very elderly, maybe 10 minutes at a time. The good news is that I'm mostly Celt - think red hair, pale skin and freckles, pale blue eyes - so I probably absorb sunlight better than some. My problem is probably more in the summer when I can't sit in it for more than 5 minutes without protection or I start burning.

I don't want to rattle so I'll probably add just that for now and keep the multivitamin/mineral (it is a very good quality one). I'll maybe swap the Starflower for good quality fish oil when I've finished the pot. I do eat organic/wild fish a couple of times a week. Probably need to up my red meat for iron purposes but my salad is nearly always watercress/spinach/rocket rather than Cos or Iceberg (yuck) so I should be getting some for that.

Neither of you would be supplementing calcium in my circumstances? I'm also lactose intolerant so not eating dairy.

FF

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D3, about 1000iu/25lbs body weight (to start) drop it when you get more sunlight.
    Digestive enzymes with lipase and protease(helps to digest fat and protein)
    maybe a good Omega 3 if you don't eat a lot of fish and/or eat a lot of omega 6/9

Personally, I would stay away from calcium. If you eat enough vegetables and meat, you are getting enough calcium. Even lactose intolerant, greens have plenty of calcium in them. If you start eating bone broth, even better. Supplementing with calcium causes more trouble than its worth.

If you start getting tired, check into electrolytes with potassium & magnesium. Maybe a good time released B-vitamin complex...
    When it comes right down to it though, if you are eating well and DIGESTING WELL; you won't need extra supplements
    Calm the f**k down.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I take Calcium + Vit D, Fish Oil, Vitamin C drops, Multivitamin... I also have to take Lysine suppliments, but you shouldn't worry about that.

B12 and Folic Acid, as well as amino acids/proteins are essential to iron synthesis and protein synthesis
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Diedelser is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Home-made Bone broth for the best Multimineral supplement
    Homemade Sauerkraut for probiotics and vitamin C
    Grass-fed Butter for Vitamin A, D and K2
    And everything else I got it from variety of meats, fats, veggies and tubers.

If your conser is with bone density and health, then consider making bone broth, this is the best calcium source used amongst Asians, who are lactose-intolerants.

I don't use supplements because they mess my body and my wallet
    Rephrasing the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing" and about that fact, I am still not so sure.

Greetings! from Jorge from Venezuela.