Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into preparedness? page

markl32 is offline Junior Member

Anyone into preparedness?

Primal Fuel
    Before I discovered The Primal Blueprint I have been canning, drying, and buying in bulk. This allowed me to store modest amounts of food. Now that I don't do grains anymore I have to reevaluate my food storage.

Anyone that subscribes to The Primal Blueprint and also has a preparedness mind set care to weigh in on the topic?

I have canned some meet and fish in the past. At least I can ramp that up.

I wonder if I could store nuts in bulk like a grain (vacuum sealed)? Or would they spoil after time anyway?

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I like to keep long storing foods around in case of emergency. I figured if it's a survival situation, I'll just prepare the grains and beans, and make do. It's the difference between thriving and surviving, and if I"m hungry enough, I'll eat it. My food storage is built around soup and bread, mainly.

I haven't found a good answer to primal food storage, unfortunately.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Learn how and where to hunt That's what I want to do!

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    Learn how and where to hunt That's what I want to do!
    That would be great, but in a long term situation, you'd be lucky to find a squirrel. Cause everyone else would have the same idea.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbwifemama View Post
    That would be great, but in a long term situation, you'd be lucky to find a squirrel. Cause everyone else would have the same idea.
    But not everyone would be GOOD at it. I'm sure you are right though, especially in an urban environment. Better keep your cats indoors once TSHTF.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Dehydration. You can buy dehydrated scrambled eggs and milk, you can dehydrate your own vegetables and fruits...and then there is jerky/pemmican.

These folks appear to be the masters of dehydration:
    Dehydrate2Store.com | Welcome - Educating and Helping Those Who Want To Learn About Dehydration

Quote Originally Posted by Herbwifemama View Post
    Soylent green is people!

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    In a short-term situation, people will be surprised to find how hard it might be to kill and eat squirrel, rabbit, other "easy" food, much less deer. In a long term situation, there would be fewer people naturally (think cholera, flu, accidents, little things like infections). Hunting -- and being able to process, preserve, and prepare hunted foods is an excellent skill to acquire.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    If you have a pressure cooker soups and broths can be jarred and sealed. And I do my garden tomatoes with mine. Also, one thing I do (and it kinda saved our @sses when I was unexpectedly out of work last summer) is every week when I do my shopping I purchase enough food for 8 days, always making sure at least one meal is freezable. (I also don't subtract out days I knew we will be eating out on a given week).

So, scary as it was to be unemployed for a bit in this economy, I had a freezer full of whole chickens, roasts, steaks, even frozen seafood - as well as a pantry full of canned goods (many of which I won't mess with now that I've gone primal, but which really came in handy last summer). It really helped to have the extra freezer. Sooo worth the purchase.

Just make sure you have plenty of salt on hand. When the zombieapocalypse comes and they chew through your power lines you'll need to be able to preserve all that good frozen meat.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 03-03-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: because @ 6:15 in the am I apparently mix my tenses to the point that the very fabric of the time continuum is threatened.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post
    In a short-term situation, people will be surprised to find how hard it might be to kill and eat squirrel, rabbit, other "easy" food, much less deer. In a long term situation, there would be fewer people naturally (think cholera, flu, accidents, little things like infections). Hunting -- and being able to process, preserve, and prepare hunted foods is an excellent skill to acquire.
    I can kill a squirrel with a thrown rock. Well, two thrown rocks. The first one you throw at a tree to make the little barstid freeze when he hears the *thok* - the second one to drop his delicious furry arse. (Yes, yes I do have kin from West Virginny - why do you ask?)

Rabbits and dear require considerably more work.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I recently read One Second After and it really freaked me out. Esp b/c it takes place 'round these parts. I've definitely started thinking about preparedness a lot more...the hubs was happy because I told him we need to beef up our gun and ammo supply LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast