Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good primal travel food? page

kmkiely is offline Junior Member

good primal travel food?

Primal Fuel
    I am just really getting into primal living (several months of eating gluten free and a couple weeks of eating much more primally now), and I will be traveling next week for a vacation with friends. As a way to save money we will be grocery shopping for snacks and quick things to keep in our room for breakfast and lunch, and dining out for dinners. Does anyone have suggestions for really easy primal breakfasts and lunches. We will have a mini fridge and microwave but thats it! Of course they are talking about a loaf of bread and PB, but as they know I am GF I said I can just do my own thing. The question is... what do I do?! (also I wont have access to bowls, kitchen ware, can openers etc.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    I'm new to the "primal" lifestyle, but I travel a bit and think this is a great question! I bet others will have a lot of creative ideas. Mine are:

- hard boiled eggs if you're traveling with a cooler, or you can sometimes find already hb eggs at grocery stores at decent prices.. HB eggs are my favorite "fast food"
    - depending on the ingredient list, you can buy already roasted chickens, and split into two meals (or eat in one!)
    - fresh veggies to keep in your mini-fridge
    - fruits, in moderation
    - and depending on your budget, you can always go into a whole foods and make a big ass salad, or buy some pre-made food. the prices are usually $7.99 a lb, give or take a dollar.

- nuts

good luck - and I can't wait to see other responses!

cheers.

Jezsh is offline Member
    If you have a mini-fridge and your friends only want bread and PB, you shouldn't have a problem

To add to the other suggestions:
    - microwaved scrambled eggs, cold meat cuts and veg for breakfast
    - BAS for lunch (buy in a shop, or take your own container with you)
    - hunks of cheese
    - jerky

I second the utility of hard-boiled eggs! Amazing snack food.

Mizz Hawaii is offline Senior Member
    The pre bagged salad at the grocery store with the rotisserre chicken, avocado and other veggies on top (or the pre-cooked chicken strips in the deli area) Deli meats wrapped around cheese or avocado. Lettuce wrap sandwiches.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    chicken of the sea tuna and salmon in single serve pouches. I

And seriously? Bring a microwave safe bowl. It doesnt take that much space.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Imrotu is offline Member
    Raw nuts
    Dried fruit
    Tuna/Sardines
    Bagged salad mixes
    Mustard
    Tub of coconut oil

Eat each thing separately or mix it all for a humungo salad.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Bring a few small Takealongs (microwave-safe leftover containers). They nest for travel and are microwave-safe.
    Use them to store cooked deli meat, veggies, and opened packages of cheese.
    Use the lids as a cutting board.
    Use them to cook eggs in the microwave (as already noted). Put some veggie bits in them for a ghetto omelet.
    If you're hardcore you can cook some hamburger in them to save money.
    Bring a pocketknife to cut the meat and veggies.

Done!

kmkiely is offline Junior Member
    thanks everyone for some great ideas! primal folks are creative... I really like the deli meat and cheese wrap ideas, as well as the bag of salad. Are there optimal types of jerky to buy over others? I've never tried it but was thinking of giving it a go for my trip. I'm assuming not all jerky's are created equal?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Some jerky has a lot of weird preservatives and loads of salt. Check the ingredients.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not a fan of store-bought jerky, which is not only usually not healthy but all the brands I've ever seen are way overpriced. You should also beware of deli meat which is often laden with salt and injected with preservatives. And finally, bags of salad often come with dressing that is full of bad oils. So, just be aware.

I love sardines - King Oscar is wild-caught Norwegian and available at WalMart or Costco. That also gets you your omega-3s.

Don't forget silverware (or you can pick up plastic stuff at the grocery store).

If you do dairy, yogurt.

If you're not flying, I would definitely take a cooler. Your own meat, omelette muffins, clean dressing, hard-boiled eggs, would be well worth it IMO.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast