Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe Advice page

magnus84 is offline Member

Shoe Advice

Shop Now
    I use VFFs for training and love them, and in fact I love minimalist shoes in general. As is, unless I dress up and "peacock" in a suit or whatever, depending on the situation, my typical uniform consists of sneakers. I'm a laid back, sneakers kind of guy. I even sometimes wear sneakers with suits. Problem is, where as with some modification I could get VFFs to fit me, none of the current crop of minimalist sneakers I know of, actually fit me. And some of them look gorgeous. I wear size 17 extra wide... though as I've lost weight and switched to barefoot, I've found myself fairly comfortable in 16 wide (depending on style and elasticity). The largest minimalist sneaks I've found go up to size 14 D. No bueno. The closest to that small size that I can get to fit me are my artificially stretched out, size 15 K-Swiss Ariakes. (I use them for Parkour and the artificial stretching gives them a glove like snug feeling but I can't wear them for long).

Phew!

So basically, after that mouthful, I'm asking for advice/pointers/hints at where I can find minimalist shoes for the gigantifooted. Not just for "fashion" but for training too, in places where VFFs are frowned upon. In the big scheme of things, the fashion aspect means little to me. I just want access to shoes that fit my lifestyle but that come in my size. I am currently exploring designing and custom making shoes for myself but it's proving pricey and complicated.

Also, don't judge me for my fashion approach. Not everything needs to be for strictly utilitarian purposes.
    Not done yet...

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Check out Big Shoes or find a pedorthist in your area. They can help you find appropriate shoes. Merrell's trail gloves are the longest at 15 that I've seen

I make shoes and it's like you say, expensive and time consuming.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I think the Merrell's go up to 15.

Merrell's was a close call. I figured, like my Ariake's I could artificially stretch a wide 15 but once I searched for Wide, the highest they go to in the shoes I'm looking for is 14. But thanks for that direction.

Big shoes has lots my size but no minimalist shoes I can find. I can find regular shoes in my size on sites like Eastbay, I just seem to be cursed to suffer through arch support and raised heels and artificial stabilization. I'll keep looking though. Thank you.
    Not done yet...

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Take a worn-out pair of regular sneakers, cut the sole off, grind the heel down, and resole them with some of the thinnest Vibram sole material and a bunch of Barge Cement/Marine Goop.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    My shoes before removing the heel

After removing soles and lowering the heel with a grinder, knife will work too but a lot more work

Ready to put new soles on

1/8inch soling material

How to make your own minimalist running shoes

or running sandal

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    kitoi: that's great! What stock number/order number is the 1/8" sole material you're using?

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    Soft Star Shoes: ADULT

They can make bigger than the sizes they have on their site.
    since they are handmade i think they could custom make any size you need
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

That's amazing, Kitoi. I have to try that. I have the perfect pair of shoes to experiment with.
    Not done yet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast