Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digestion issues *graphic* page

Primal-J is offline Member

Digestion issues *graphic*

Hello,

A bit of background. I've been primal for almost 2 years, and have had lots of success with the lifestyle. Encouraged by a co-worker, it was a very easy transition. This being said, I still ate cheese and yogurt.

In January I decided to try the WHOLE 30, and was successful! I felt great, lost a few lbs and was leaner after the 30 days while possibly even increasing my calorie consumption.

However, since the 30 days have been over, I'm having some serious digestive issues. It started with pains in my stomach, very acidic gas that I can taste (it's just terrible), and the lack of proper digestion of some foods that I was always capable of eating. The most recent episode was the worst.

I'm not sure what caused this - it might be food poisoning, but I'm terribly sick at the moment. I ate a bowl of chia seeds with almond milk and blueberries (I usually eat this, but been getting gas recently when I do). About an hour later, I ate some proscuito from a local farm. Within 30 minutes I started feeling very sick, stomach pains, very acidic gas. I went to bed but it just got worst. I was vomitting throughout the night, and the chia seeds/blueberries came out IN TACT. It was like no digestion had taken place. This is hours after eating them.

I think it might be a combination of food poisoning and digestive problems, but I've noticed that I can no longer tolerate chia seeds without getting very acidic gas. This is something I never experienced before. I can taste my burbs and it's disgusting.

Is it possible that cutting out yogurt has damaged my cultures in my digestive track? What's going on here? Very concerned,

J

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    How recent is recently? Last couple days, weeks? You mention food poisoning as a possibility, so I guess it isn't long term...?

I had the same kind of thing going on a couple weeks ago, the weird acid burps and then a few days of vomiting.

If it is the chia, is it from a new source? (I have no idea if that could matter, just a thought.)

Personally, as I stopped eating so much yogurt, I started taking a multi-strain probiotic instead. Maybe that would help you?

Dunno what else to suggest. Whatever it is, believe me, I'm sympathetic.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

The past month I've been getting the "acid burps" - possibly the most disgusting thing ever, and the vomiting just yesterday and today - so that might be food poisoning. What concerns me, however, is the fact the the chia seeds that came out had not been digested AT ALL. It literally came out the way it came in. Also having acid burps with nuts these days. All problems I never had before, even when primal or non primal.

J

I reckon its low stomach acid, seeing as the seeds came up whole. Perhaps trying some digestive enzymes might help? Maybe someone else has more experience with the stomach acid issue.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Could this be gall bladder issues? "symptoms include abdominal bloating, intolerance of fatty foods, belching, gas, and indigestion"
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Wow...surprised to see others with the same issues. What could be causing this low stomach acid? Seems my gas is VERY acidic.

J

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If some people fall under the "very acidic stomach" description, doesn't it make sense that there would be some people who are completely opposite this? Flavored vinegars taste great. Tomatoes and coffee are both pretty acidic. Citrus fruits as well. See if that helps.

I drink lemon juice and lots of coffee.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    this isnt the first time i have heard people fairing worst after the whole 30 than better, but i guess you cant have 100% rate for everything

anyways...what are you meals like? quantity, time frame, fat and protein amount? fiber? if youre not eating enough acid FORMING food then you may not produce enough, if you eat a lot of acid producing but overeat then youll bloat/indigestion.

try enzymes and making meals smaller. if that doesnt perk up digestion then try HCL or swigging vinegar before eating. if THAT doesnt do it then take l glutamine in the morning on an empty stomach

swigging some kombucha is prolly a good idea to

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal-J View Post
    The past month I've been getting the "acid burps" - possibly the most disgusting thing ever, and the vomiting just yesterday and today - so that might be food poisoning. What concerns me, however, is the fact the the chia seeds that came out had not been digested AT ALL. It literally came out the way it came in. Also having acid burps with nuts these days. All problems I never had before, even when primal or non primal.

J
    If things are messed up in your digestive system, even temporarily (food poisoning, virus, hormones), digestion will halt. On its own I would not be too concerned about that part unless it becomes a frequent problem. I had that happen when I was pregnant several times. One time I threw up spaghetti completely undigested that I had eaten 36 hours prior. Digestion had just shut down because I was battling rotovirus. (of course THEN I didnt stop throwing up for 3 days)
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast