Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How thorough are the Five Essential Movements? page

Dizzordr is offline Junior Member

How thorough are the Five Essential Movements?

Primal Fuel
    I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. So many people go out of their way to do a bunch of crazy exercises to work each little muscle in their body that it's hard for me to believe that it can all be boiled down to Five Essential Movements.
    I've been doing PBF's Five Essential Movements for about a month now, and I've certainly gotten stronger in those exercises, but is there anything that these movements don't target? If it isn't all that thorough, what are some other Movements that I could do to get a full-body workout from this?
    Thanks.
    -D

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Believe it. This works the whole body and can be simplified even further if you drop the plank and the overhead work since almost every full body exercise -- if done properly -- works the core. Pushups, for example, are a form of a plank, and will work the shoulders adequately.

Ignore the bodybuilders who use isolating machines. Pushups, pullups, and squats/lunges, and variations thereof, are all you really need in terms of bodyweight exercises. If you love the iron, go for the big three (squats, deads, bench) but again, you don't need to stray much beyond that.

And just to be clear, I have no problem with overhead work for the shoulders, but I don't consider it to be essential if you vary the angles on your pushups. YMMV.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    You can look through the list on Exercise & Muscle Directory

PBF is quite good in targeting all muscles with body-weight exercises without overloading single muscles by overlap between different exercises.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    Believe it. This works the whole body and can be simplified even further if you drop the plank and the overhead work since almost every full body exercise -- if done properly -- works the core. Pushups, for example, are a form of a plank, and will work the shoulders adequately.

Ignore the bodybuilders who use isolating machines. Pushups, pullups, and squats/lunges, and variations thereof, are all you really need in terms of bodyweight exercises. If you love the iron, go for the big three (squats, deads, bench) but again, you don't need to stray much beyond that.

And just to be clear, I have no problem with overhead work for the shoulders, but I don't consider it to be essential if you vary the angles on your pushups. YMMV.
    If you are going with iron you should also include a press for overhead work. Hell, add a clean to the routine and you have Starting Strength, which is why its such a good beginners program.

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    Seemed to work for Herschel Walker who only did pushups and sit ups. In an interview I heard him say that he just never watches TV. He is always doing one of those exercises while watching. Supposedly he does 3,000 pushups a day.

Well, then. lol
    It really feels like it works a bit of everything, but I wasn't quite sure if I was missing something or not. Primal life is just so much better than Neolithic life in like, every way.
    Thanks bunches for your help, folks!
    -D

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzordr View Post
    I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. So many people go out of their way to do a bunch of crazy exercises to work each little muscle in their body that it's hard for me to believe that it can all be boiled down to Five Essential Movements.
    I've been doing PBF's Five Essential Movements for about a month now, and I've certainly gotten stronger in those exercises, but is there anything that these movements don't target? If it isn't all that thorough, what are some other Movements that I could do to get a full-body workout from this?
    Thanks.
    -D
    You have asked the key question that trainers refuse to answer. You have also answerred the question they refuse to answer.

The key to strength is based on three models

The energy supply/energy depletion model.
    The muscle power / muscle recruitment model
    The biomechanical model

You have gotten stronger in those 5 movements because you have done exercises that satisfy the biomechanical model. Once you quit doing them... you will be much weaker. Trainers promote this model to keep you coming back.

The real secret is to work on the energy supply/energy depletion model and the muscle power / muscle recruitment model.

This builds real strength and allows to the ability to focus on specialized strength when it is required. That specialized strength is the biomechanical model.

Could you give me an example of what you mean, Vick?
    -D

Vick is offline Senior Member
    The energy supply/energy depletion model.
    This model is about the ability to store glycogen. Glycogen is a key fuel to feed muscles under stress. It is stored in muscle tissue. The more muscle tissue you have... the more glycogen you can store.

The muscle power / muscle recruitment model
    We all have the following types of muscle fibres. Type I and Type II. There are three types of type II that lead to the recruitment model. As you lift a heavy weight the type I says "I can't do it I need help". that recruits type II... if the load is such that the first type II can't lift, then it recruits the next type II. This recruitment continues until the weight is lifted or the muscles fail. When we fail... we promote muscle to grow, therefore we have more fibre types to lift the load we just failed on.

This creates the key to muscle strength that all trainers hate.

If I stress my muscles to failure then allow my body to rest, heal and adapt I become stronger. My muscle mass increases... (it can't be measured by a tape measure because the changes that occur will reflect the diameter and that takes time before it can be read on the circumference) but it increases the energy supply/energy depletion model and the muscle power / muscle recruitment model because there is more mass present. This creates more storage for glycogen and more fibres to recruit. That makes me stronger.

The biomechanical model is based on doing exercises repetitively. This strengthens the nervous system to the muscles. Trainers will tell you not to go to failure... and for this they are correct. Where they are absolutely wrong is that they fail to understand that the biomechanical model is very motion specific. There is no such thing as "functional exercises". You do a exercise, to do the motiion you need to get stronger in. A exercise that is close... isn't close enough.

That is the concept. Would you like more info on the specific exercises to acheive your goals?

RobbieC is offline Member
    If I could only do 5 body weight exercises, they would be:

push ups (all variations: wide, narrow, elevated, hand-stand, etc.)
    pull ups (rings, bars, tree branches, anywhere you can reach up and grab something)
    air squats
    dips
    jumping (up onto stuff [boxes, benches, stumps, etc.), over stuff, for distance, etc.)
    burpees (ok...this is six...but it's really just combing the push ups with the jumping)

If I could only do five weighted exercises (in addition to the body weight stuff) they would be:

Dead lifts
    Clean and jerks (all variations: power cleans, hang cleans, hang power cleans, full squat cleans, etc.)
    squats (back, front, and overhead)
    KB swings
    Snatch
    Last edited by RobbieC; 03-03-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast