Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise and histamines page

Aarambh is offline Junior Member

Exercise and histamines

Primal Fuel
    I have noticed that every time after i complete my sprint routine, i have episode of continuous sneezing and upper respiratory congestion . This goes away within an hour, the symptoms are similar to allergy symptoms.
    Has anyone experienced this?
    Does High intensity workouts increase histamines in the body causing these reactions?

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    YES. STOP SPRINTING. Not to freak you out or anything, but you could become seriously ill from this!

My Blog: Sprinting? Never Again.

My Previous Thread: Am I allergic to exercise/sprinting?

I'm fine with most other HIIT. I can jump rope fine, or do Kettlebell swings. If I had access to a stationary bike, I think I'd be ok there too. Just not literal sprinting

PS - I'm still trying to shake the respiratory problems I developed during the Sprint Session outlined in that blog . But GREAT NEWS that means you never have to sprint again woooooo!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalvore View Post
    YES. STOP SPRINTING. Not to freak you out or anything, but you could become seriously ill from this!

My Blog: Sprinting? Never Again.

My Previous Thread: Am I allergic to exercise/sprinting?

I'm fine with most other HIIT. I can jump rope fine, or do Kettlebell swings. If I had access to a stationary bike, I think I'd be ok there too. Just not literal sprinting

PS - I'm still trying to shake the respiratory problems I developed during the Sprint Session outlined in that blog . But GREAT NEWS that means you never have to sprint again woooooo!
    Are you saying if you have allergies/asthma(regular old, not exercise induced) not to do sprints?
    Georgette

Balance is offline Senior Member
    This only happens to me if I am sprinting outside and its windy with a high pollen count. My throat starts to get itchy and mucus starts to develop. But I continue on and it eventually goes away. I have seasonal allergies and whether I am sprinting or walking it will happen regardless because of the large amount of pollen in my neighborhood. It always goes away after the first couple of sprints and I have been running/hill sprinting for over 10 years. This happens to my friends and my fiance as well when they run with me and they have no known allergies like I do. It is basically all the dust and pollen in the air getting trapped in the little hairs of your nose and throat causing a slight immune response because your body thinks there is a foreign object about to enter. It is completely normal.

You may notice it more with vigorous exercise because you are sucking more air than when you are walking. A good tip is to try to breath through your nose more (even though its hard when sprinting). Your nose has a lot more hairs that really will defend your air passage from dust/pollen. Post workout use a neti-pot to irrigate and cleanse your sinuses.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Are you saying if you have allergies/asthma(regular old, not exercise induced) not to do sprints?
    No no no I'm saying that one can be allergic to exercise itself! Haha I didn't mean my warning to be misconstrued to say "don't sprint if you can't take the grass pollen"...though I'd like to use that as an excuse . I freakin hate sprinting.

What I'm talking about is called "Exercise Induced Anaphylaxia"...and you'd know if you had it :-P. With low impact activities, I break into hives very easily, but with all out sprinting my lungs nearly collapse. I still have a weird rumbling going on in my lungs from a couple weeks ago when I decided to sprint (for the last time).

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Do you have high histamine levels as a matter of course or is it strictly exercise induced?

I'm dealing with the opposite problem-lack of histamine (it's also a neurotransmitter, btw) and can seriously muck things up if you are too far out of kink either direction.

Wow primalvore, the symptoms you mentioned in your post are very similar to mine. Though i did not have hives, the metallic/blood taste and the feeling like your chest is closing on you sounds very similar.
    Its bad cause i like to sprint, but i guess i have to try kettle bells like you mentioned. Do they get your heart rate up as much as a sprint would?

Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    Do you have high histamine levels as a matter of course or is it strictly exercise induced?

I'm dealing with the opposite problem-lack of histamine (it's also a neurotransmitter, btw) and can seriously muck things up if you are too far out of kink either direction.
    I don't know if my histamine levels are always elevated (i don't have seasonal allergies ) I think its more exercise induced specifically only if i sprint. this doesn't happen when i work with weights, hot yoga or burpees but just running causes these symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarambh View Post
    I don't know if my histamine levels are always elevated (i don't have seasonal allergies ) I think its more exercise induced specifically only if i sprint. this doesn't happen when i work with weights, hot yoga or burpees but just running causes these symptoms.
    Sounds to me like Exercise Induced Anaphylaxia.....

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I literally just got home from my first Tabata sprint workout. It kicked my ass, but I also finished with some wheezing and a bit of very mild pain in my chest area. Didn't happen during my sprint session earlier this week - just this Tabata session. Has Mark ever mentioned this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast