Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you ingest your chia seeds? page

Dolly is offline Junior Member

how do you ingest your chia seeds?

Shop Now
    Hello All,
    I am new here and have a quick question if you don't mind. I want to start using chia seeds in my diet but I am not really sure how to swallow them -for lack of a better term. Before going primal I used to put them in apple sause and they went down pretty easy. Now that I am cutting out fruit (I need my carb level to be low for a while) I can't quite get them down. I've put them in tea and that didn't work. I've read that you shouldn't just swallow them whole because they can choke you. So, any ideas? Thanks!!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I bake them into almond meal bread. You could also sprinkle them on salads.

That almond meal bread sounds really interesting. Can you point me to a recipe? Thank you so much!!!!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I soak them in water, add some lime juice and drink them.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    My basic recipe is super simple. It's quite dense so a single slice goes a long way. It's also really adaptable so feel free to experiment.

3 cups blanched almond meal
    1 cup flax seed meal
    1/2 stick butter, melted
    4 eggs
    1 tbl cider vinegar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbl coconut nectar or other syrup (optional)
    Nuts or seeds of your choice. I never measure, just pour in what looks good.

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl beat the eggs then add the rest of the liquid ingredients. Mix the wet into the dry and mix well until a dough like consistency. If dough seems a bit dry you can add a bit of water, about 1/4 cup usually. It will be pretty thick, about that of cookie dough. Scoop into a buttered loaf pan and bake at 325 for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out dry. Allow to cool completely before refrigerating, although I usually end up eating a slice while it's still hot. It's best kept in the fridge wrapped in a paper towel inside a plastic container or a zip-loc bag.

For other recipes I also like Elana's Pantry.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    why do people eat these things again???

Lynna-I love that idea!! Thank you for sharing.

Blackcatbone-thank you so much for sharing that. I am definitely going to try making that this weekend! And, thank you for the tip about Elana's pantry. I never knew until recently that you could bake with nut flours. You have been really helpful.

Malpaz-Chia seeds are chuck full of omega 3 fatty acids and a fiber that , in your stomach, turns into a paste. That paste slows digestion helping you to feel fuller longer but also helps stabalize blood sugar. Since I am estrogen dominant I want to increase my fiber intake (fiber sweeps out the extra estrogen from the bowls where the body deposits it) without all the carbs of beans -so chia seeds are a good option for me.

You guys are so awesome. Thank you all for your help!!!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    The omega-3 is ALA though, which isn't very convertible into DHA. I mean, better than nothing, but personally I go with fish oil for my omega-3s.

Sounds pretty similar to flax seed: HEALTHY EATING: Chia seed: Super food, or just hype? - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

How does this fiber paste have a special ability to stabilize blood sugar? All the sources I find online are from people selling chia seeds...

Isn't there already plenty of fiber in vegetables?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I let them sit in the refrigerator so they're nice and chilled. You can also add some agave nectar to sweeten it a litle. Some people don't care for the "slimy" texture. I think it's kind of like drinking tapioca and quite refreshing.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    How does this fiber paste have a special ability to stabilize blood sugar? All the sources I find online are from people selling chia seeds...
    I seem to recall reading that it slows the passage of food through your digestive tract. Seems like that wouldn't be necessary on a primal diet since you're not eating the sorts of foods that would spike your blood sugar anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast