Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with primalizing an easter tradition? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Help with primalizing an easter tradition?

Shop Now
    My family's easter tradition was to make "resurrection rolls." We would make bread dough, and brush the inside with butter and cinnamon, seal a marshmallow in it, and bake it. The bread represents the tomb (more fitting now that I'm primal, haha!) and the marshmallow is Jesus' body (the marshmallow "disappears" when you break the roll open out of the oven).

I'd like to continue with the idea--because I enjoy the symbolism--and I'm ok with a marshmallow as a treat around easter, but I'd rather not do the marshmallow AND roll. Any ideas of what other baked goods we could do? Perhaps a primal cupcake? If you have a good idea for something to replace the marshmallow, I'd like to hear that too.

Thanks guys

Lmans77 is offline Member
    If you want to eat something representative of Christ resurrection, eggs are perfect... shell is representative of Christ's tomb. Crack a bunch to represent the resurrection and scramble those bad boys up and eat a wonderfully Primal breakfast?

If you are stuck on steaking with baked goods, how about just eat a tiny portion of the marshmallow roll and call it part of you 20%.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    You need something that can wrap around it, and hold it's shape as the marshmallow melts. I have a gluten free crecent roll recipe that used rice flour, but I think t hat's as good as you're gonna get.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Wrap it in bacon. Bacon is good with everything.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    A date inside a jalapeno inside bacon.

The date represents the sweetness of forgiveness and heaven
    The jalapeno represents the harshness of life, the barrier of the tomb, the wages of sin (death)
    Bacon represents...um...the holy spirit?

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post

The jalapeno represents the harshness of life, the barrier of the tomb, the wages of sin (death)
    +1

You could experiment with different flours and try to Primal-ize the original dough recipe. If you post that recipe here, maybe we could help you with suggesting substitutes?

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post

Carl, not going to lie, I laughed out loud when I read this. Really loud. As comical as it was, it did kind of inspire me to think outside the box and maybe come up with a new tradition using new foods (I liked the dates for the sweetness of forgiveness and heaven!)

Now I'm thinking of those bracelets made at Christian camps with the different colored beads that stand for different parts of the salvation message (red for Christ's dying on the cross, white for him making us white as snow, black for the wages of death, etc) and I'm coming up with an easter meal based on those colors.

Ok, off the top of my head:

Black--black olives
    Red: Strawberries
    Blue: Blueberries
    White: Homemade whipped cream
    Green and Yellow: Zucchini and Yellow Squash

For protein, deviled eggs can hold down white and yellow

Edit: In case anyone else is inspired to create a color-themed easter meal...I was wondering what else we could do for black (because, olives is kind of a lame representation and my daughter doesn't like them) and google brought me to this recipe. Black sesame seed covered salmon rolls! The possibilities are endless now.
    Last edited by jqbancroft; 03-02-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    It's easier to primalize the original germanic and northern european version of Oestre. I'm going to eat rabbit and have sex.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    Carl, not going to lie, I laughed out loud when I read this. Really loud.
    Hah! That's sweet. You know, way back in day missionaries would take big pieces of cloth on poles (kind of like pennants) around to places that didn't speak their language and show them similar colors to the bracelet idea you mentioned. It was called a "wordless bible" or something like that but I'm having trouble googling it.

Figs are pretty dark...you might be able to get away with calling them black? Dark chocolate? Or licorice/black jelly beans (not very primal)....oh...you can buy black beans! Not primal either, but better than candy. Kalamata olives are very dark, too. Blackberries in a balsamic vinegar sauce? Ehh.
    Here's a whole chart of food colors.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've tried to experiment with Almond or Coconut breads multiple times. It's very difficult to get a light, "yeasty" like bread, in my opinion. And baking with that type of material produces a batter moreso than a "dough". I've tried in vain to get a "dough" out of nutmeals - it just might be dang impossible . So I don't know if you can get the same effect as you would with a yeasted dough. I'd go to Elanaspantry.com and check out her bread recipes and forum posts to see if anything could convert well here .

And I'm not trying to be the devil on your shoulder, I completely hear what you're saying...but if you can't make it work Primal-wise, it's a beautiful tradition/symbolization and I'd hate to see you give it up - even just nibbling on one roll could count towards your 20%

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast