Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And I thought I was in decent shape... page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

And I thought I was in decent shape...

Shop Now
    ...till i ran my first sprints this morning...jesus those kicked my ass, I only lasted 12 minutes and my legs felt stiff stepping into the shower haha. Even my arms are a little tired. I feel pretty good now though, legs are still stiff...but I feel like sprinting is an "All over" workout, testing your legs, lungs, heart....everythings in hyperdrive.

Good shit. Will do again. I earned that sweet potatoe.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    ...till i ran my first sprints this morning...jesus those kicked my ass, I only lasted 12 minutes and my legs felt stiff stepping into the shower haha. Even my arms are a little tired. I feel pretty good now though, legs are still stiff...but I feel like sprinting is an "All over" workout, testing your legs, lungs, heart....everythings in hyperdrive.

Good shit. Will do again. I earned that sweet potatoe.
    when I started doing sprints I found EVERYTHING hurt. stomach, legs, arms - the lot. I am growing to love my sprint sessions - major buzz - but when people talk about "doing HIIT every day" - I laugh. I can manage ONCE A WEEK with my sprint workout. Takes 6 whole days of other types of WO for my legs to recover to be able to 100% like that again. Yes, i do some intervals in my other WOs, i may get my HR to 95% - but nothing, I mean NOTHING, affects me like that once a week 100% all out gut wrencher of a session.

My advice FWIW - stretch ...... often - all day on and off on that day. Massage if at all possible - self administered if no one else is willing. Foam roller tomorrow if you can bear it. Recovery level session day after - be kind.

Yes you DID earn that sweet potato!!!!

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    I've been avoiding this! I try to tell myself that spin class is my version but I know it's not even close to the same. I count 20 seconds down when we sprint on a bike and try to do my own thing but... well... yeah. I just need to suck it up and give it a go.
    Strong is the new Skinny!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I am looking forward to Spring and sprinting on grass in my VFFs - collapsing on the ground and lying in the sun to recover; the comfy achiness of my quads and abs for the days after.

$$$
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    I am looking forward to Spring and sprinting on grass in my VFFs - collapsing on the ground and lying in the sun to recover; the comfy achiness of my quads and abs for the days after.

$$$
    I fancy getting some VFFs, but I had plantaar fasciitis for 6 months in 2009 and the podiatrist told me "never to walk barefoot again"!

I do. BUT I am sort of wary about VFFs. I was in so much pain, was unable to walk for weeks - only solved by a cortisone injection. (I didn't do it running btw - it was cycling up a BIG hill in a BIG gear in trainers not cycling shoes. Basically bent my foot around the pedal and tore the fascia.)

SO VFFs??? OK to start on a treadmill?? Cos I LOVE the idea of beaches/grass in the summer and me sprinting in them!!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    interesting that you require shoes to live.

considering you were born without them!

give it a go - maybe just try walking barefoot on warm grass to start. I think you will find it addictive - VFFs allow for the same sensation as everyday occurrence!
    ad astra per aspera

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    ...but I feel like sprinting is an "All over" workout, testing your legs, lungs, heart....everythings in hyperdrive.
    this is why sprint days are my favorite days. bravo to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    interesting that you require shoes to live.

considering you were born without them!

give it a go - maybe just try walking barefoot on warm grass to start. I think you will find it addictive - VFFs allow for the same sensation as everyday occurrence!
    As I said I have ignored the podiatrist - i walk barefoot and in "no support flats" because I reckon in order to strengthen what is obviously weak - I need to use it. Require shoes to live - nah. Do love shoes though!!

Not the weather here for grass or beaches at the mo - but if I get some (and I think I will) I'll have a go at a gentle jog first. Or as you say - just walking.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    As I said I have ignored the podiatrist - i walk barefoot and in "no support flats" because I reckon in order to strengthen what is obviously weak - I need to use it. Require shoes to live - nah. Do love shoes though!!

Not the weather here for grass or beaches at the mo - but if I get some (and I think I will) I'll have a go at a gentle jog first. Or as you say - just walking.
    Denise - I went through this. Not Plantars but achilles. It was brutal. My first advice would be to stop running for at least 6 months. Walk barefoot as much as possible and then start easy in the VFFs. You are going to have to learn to run all over again and once again that can be brutal. Even that first gentle jog will force you to wait a few days before trying again.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    Denise - I went through this. Not Plantars but achilles. It was brutal. My first advice would be to stop running for at least 6 months. Walk barefoot as much as possible and then start easy in the VFFs. You are going to have to learn to run all over again and once again that can be brutal. Even that first gentle jog will force you to wait a few days before trying again.
    Thanks MightyAl

For background again, this was 2009 - I did recover and was back to running a daily 10k withing 4 months - though those first 1' on 1' off runs were sheer torture. Not painful - just dispiriting after being able to run so far. I built back up slowly - I think by 5 months after the injection I was actually faster than before!! I have now cut right back on my cardio - I was doing far too much. I plan to reintroduce longer runs in the spring/summer, just for fun occasionally.

BUT I have had this lingering voice of the podiatrist warning me about being barefoot.

As I said - i ignored it, believing to strengthen my foot I need to use it as nature intended. VFFs are something I fancy trying - but I am wary - hence the original question to fastcat.

Good advice though for returning after injury. Gotta take it slow and steady!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast