Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got an allotment :) page 2

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Anyone have a soil recipes I could use for a little garden I plan to build this spring. I'll be using one of those recycling containers that the city gives you. I have three, only use two. Thank you.

runningwild is offline Senior Member
    not sure on the soil, sorry.

I went to visit the allotment yesterday to get the lay of the land and the council guy told me it would be ok to have bees (something i have wanted to keep since childhood)
    Perhaps my occasional treat could be home grown honey

SO excited

sforsyth is offline Junior Member

soil mix

The soil mix recommended in Mel's Square Foot Gardening book is great. We have two raised beds so far and are planning on adding another one this year. Last year we also incorporated the vertical frame for tomatoes, peas and cucumbers and that also worked really well to maximize a small space.

I highly recommend the book: All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space! by Mel Bartholomew, $12 from Amazon. It has got loads of photos and step by step instructions on soil mix and how to build the boxes.

The soil mix is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost and 1/3 vermiculite. Even though the vermiculite is expensive don't get tempted to leave it out - it provides you with nice fluffy soil for happy plants!

Here is what our patch did last year. First photo was late May, Second was mid July (I am in Colorado)
    IMG_0034..jpg

IMG_0118..jpg

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks sforsyth. Now I just have to figure a way to keep the squirrels at bay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12