Thread: Resources for basic primal recipes? page

BobbySoFamous is offline Junior Member

Resources for basic primal recipes?

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, I just started eating meat after 10+ years of vegetarianism and I know nothing about it. I have no idea how to cook, handle, store, etc. I need recipes for very VERY basic meals. I've flipped through the primal cookbook but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to make coconut curry chicken or impressive dishes with 20 ingredients, I just need something to eat on a Tuesday for lunch.

Yes I could scour the forum but that's a lot of work and I'm looking for cookbook quality instruction/pictures. Any suggestions? Good websites are welcome too. Again, I'm looking for very basic recipes, like how to make tuna fish, what to do with chicken, etc etc etc.

pamelafox is offline Junior Member
    When I started, I began very basic - just meat and veggies. And in fact, that meal tastes so good that I still do it.

Basic formula:
    - Meat (steak, salmon)
    - Veggies (asparagus, green beans, broccoli)

For steak, I followed the instructions here for cooking it on the stove: huck08 comments on How do you cook a steak?

For salmon, I stick oil in a pan, fry it for 6 minutes, and then put some lemon juice and dell on top - maybe some sour cream on the side.

For veggies, I stick oil in a pan, put the veggies in, sprinkle salt+pepper, maybe throw in some chopped garlic, and then fry. I might put a lid on it for a few minutes as well.

And ta-da, meat and veggies. It's a winning formula that works for every dinner, and you can easily vary it up by changing what meat/protein you use.

For other recipes, I put together this portal with a search, feed, and list of sites:
    Primal & Paleo Recipes

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I think the recipes in the Primal cookbook are just about as basic as they get. Don't be frightened of a long ingredient list...it's often just a bunch of spices - and that's where the flavor is. Otherwise, you don't need a recipe at all - salt/pepper the meat, apply some sort of heat until desired level of done-ness is achieved.

I just recently discovered The Foodee Project | Meals for the paleo lifestyle

The best way to learn to cook is to just start doing it. I started by using basic recipes and then just playing around with things on my own. Not every meal is a home run, but as long as I"m not hungry at the end of it I consider it mission accomplished. Especially for lunches. It usually goes something like: cut up meat (usually chicken), add it to a pan with coconut oil. While that cooks, chop up a few veggies and add those to the pan for the last few minutes. Add some coconut milk, ginger and/or curry paste/other spices. Eat.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

BobbySoFamous is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys, I checked out the websites and they're awesome. Still have to look at the book suggested. As for breakfast, I threw together some chicken sausage and asian stir fry vegetables with a little bit of soy sauce. I thought that asian stir fry vegetables might be weird with sausage but it's totally fine. Maybe there's something to that concept of just cooking some meat, cook some veggies, and throw them together!

karatemomx4 is offline Junior Member
    Here's a couple of good sources for good, basic recipes. While not stricly primal/paleo, there are some fabulous meat recipes on each of these sites:

Simply Recipes Food and Cooking Blog
    The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
    Tara

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I second this book. I bought it because my library fines for it were starting to get rather excessive. No pictures, but one of the best cookbooks I've ever read (and I'm freakin' addicted to cookbooks).

She gives you a basic formula for how to make various things including amounts of time it will probably take, plus lots of simple variations.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly