Thread: Entomophagy? Anyone else eat bugs? page

Acmebike is offline Member

Shop Now

Since seeing the Mark espouse eating from plants, animals and insects a couple years ago, I've experimented with eating some bugs. The past two summers have seen a bounty of grasshoppers around here, so that was my main insect source. I get the free range ones, away from pesticides and fertilizers, out in the non-agricultural forest and prairie. Freeze 'em, rinse 'em, stirfry them, season with curry, spices, peppers, etc. Had a fair share snacked down alive and kicking.

Pretty gross looking, and I still kinda cringe at the sight, but they really do taste fine, and provide good nutrition. Just a lot of cultural gross out to overcome. Many parts of the world sure do gobble them up. I want to get ahold of some leaf cutter ant abdomens, but they are pricey via the internet!

Heck, most yummy seafood are just sea bugs, lobster, crab, shrimp... anyone got a source, story or recipe to share?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've been meaning to but haven't found ample opportunity. Maybe when I pick up my boys' food from the pet store I'll grab some super-worms, and give them a good diet for a week before trying them. Was gonna do crickets but they jump too much.

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

If there was a how-to out there on catching and prepping different types of bugs I'd definitely give it a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Eat_Fried_Worms

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Yes, in Korea. A few of us wandered into a local restaurant one night and no one spoke English, nor were there any English menus in evidence. We indicated to the waitress that we wanted food for the 5 of us and got given a selection of dishes, one of which looked distinctly insectoid in origin. We all tried it and it wasn't bad at all. In fact, we gobbled up enough of the little things that they gave us a second bowl of them.

We took a sample back to the hotel to show to our Korean guide and she told us they were "beondegi" or silkworm pupae.

Maleficarum is offline Member

i have expressed interest in eating bugs. My wife has shot me down every time. We eat copious amounts of shrimp and crab. When I make comparisons to "sea bugs" she gives me the "evil eye."

I remember eating chocolate covered ants as a kid. And fried grasshoppers have always intrigued me. I cannot imagine such a perfect source of protein could taste bad... as long as you dont eat anything with venom sacs or caustic sprays.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Uhhhhh.....

You guys are far more courageous than I. I'd rather get shot at (which happens from time to time).

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Couldn't resist....

http://explosm.net/comics/1098/

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

NMG I love you for posting C&H comics!!!

My faves:

http://www.explosm.net/comics/940/

http://www.explosm.net/comics/816/ (read the next 2 as well... its a series)

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

I've dabbled in it. Enough to know I can't stand silkworms. They taste just like lima beans - blech!