Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rachel's March Challenge page

RachelZoe is offline Senior Member

Rachel's March Challenge

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been exhausted for the last two months. I went to see my doctor last week, and I'm Vitamin D deficient. In addition to the Vitamin D deficiency, I'm also having nightmares for 6-9 days out of each month, not necessarily associated with hormonal changes. My doctor put me on a tiny dose of Seroquel (12.5 mg) which is supposed to help with nightmares. It's the first time I've been on an antidepressant. Right now, it's helping me sleep, but I'm still tired on top of being tired.

I haven't felt like doing anything for weeks, but I am hoping that the fatigue will be helped by ditching junk food from my diet. I feel like I am falling behind at work and don't feel like cleaning my house, paying bills, doing taxes or anything more than resting on the couch and watching tv. (This is pre and post Seroquel.)

I'm not ready to go strict Primal. I plan to eat a diet that includes eggs, bacon, fruit, veggies, good oils, nuts, high fat dairy, and occasional red wine and dark chocolate. This is so much cleaner than I have been eating for the last six months.

I am 44, 5'5, and am up about 7 pounds from my ideal weight, mostly due to an overindulgence in all things gluten free, like gluten free cupcakes, gluten free pasta, gluten free flour, chips, and did I mention Reese's peanut butter cups and junior mints? No gluten free substitutes for me this month...clearly, I abuse them.

I am hoping that following PB will get me back to a place where I have more energy. I cannot wait for a few sunny spring days...I am not cut out for gloomy cold days and prolonged winter of Utah.

Anyway, day 1 is successful. Eggs, bacon, cheese, apple, raspberries, heavy cream, carrots, turkey, coffee, and stevia are what I ate today.

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelZoe View Post

I'm not ready to go strict Primal. I plan to eat a diet that includes eggs, bacon, fruit, veggies, good oils, nuts, high fat dairy, and occasional red wine and dark chocolate.
    psst - that IS strict Primal
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

Thank you, Rhonda. It's easy to get confused here. I read journals where people don't eat bacon, high fat dairy, nuts, wine, or dark chocolate, and I think....they are doing it correctly. I did read a great post by NutMeg in another thread about starting out by eliminating grains, potatoes, beans, and refined sugars. I'm definitely doing primal.

Bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast. And coffee.

I am beginning to feel more normal. The fatigue is starting to ease up. I'm not sure if it's the Vitamin D, sleeping better, or cutting all the junk carbs from my diet. Something is starting to work, though. I am starting to feel more focused at work and actually completed an important project four hours before the deadline.

I am a little disheartened by the weather today, though. Yesterday, we had some sun and today it's cloudy, gloomy, and there's a prediction of more snow.

Lunch was turkey, cheese, carrots, an apple, and pecans. Dinner was a chicken caesar salad with chicken and parmesan.

And I had raspberries and cream for a snack.

Coming down with an icky cold...my throat is so sore that I can barely swallow.

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    I agree, Rachel - it can be confusing! If you read the actual book, though, Mark Sisson makes it pretty clear that "good quality" dairy, some red wine, dark chocolate and bacon are ALL ok!

Different people decide to cut back on certain things for lots of reasons. For example, I'm doing a Whole30 challenge right now where I avoid all of the above, plus artificial sweeteners, just to try and eat REALLY clean for a little while....but it won't be forever!

Sorry you're feeling sick! Hope you'll feel better soon!!
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

Hi Rhonda,
    Thank you! I do have the book and have read it several times. I wanted to do Primal because it feels like a good fit for my life, as written. I don't overeat dark chocolate and only have a couple of glasses of red wine a week....so those are items that just make this doable for me. Thanks for the encouraging notes and good luck on your Whole 30 challenge...!!!

I am feeling weird this morning. My throat still really hurts, and I'm exhausted. Yet, I feel better than I have in some time, lol. I can't wait to get over this cold so that I can really enjoy this "feeling better" that I am experiencing underneath all this yuckiness.

I had a big project turned over to me at work yesterday. The timing was good on that one because I've been feeling unfocused, frazzled, and just haven't really cared about doing anything for weeks. This project is going to take much focus and a lot of caring, and I can feel myself getting into it. I'm a creative person by nature, and I'm relieved that this part of my personality is coming back. I was worried!

Breakfast was eggs scrambled with feta. Ran out of bacon, but the feta was a nice addition.

Hi Rhonda,
    Thank you! I do have the book and have read it several times. I wanted to do Primal because it feels like a good fit for my life, as written. I don't overeat dark chocolate and only have a couple of glasses of red wine a week....so those are items that just make this doable for me. Thanks for the encouraging notes and good luck on your Whole 30 challenge...!!!

I am feeling weird this morning. My throat still really hurts, and I'm exhausted. Yet, I feel better than I have in some time, lol. I can't wait to get over this cold so that I can really enjoy this "feeling better" that I am experiencing underneath all this yuckiness.

I had a big project turned over to me at work yesterday. The timing was good on that one because I've been feeling unfocused, frazzled, and just haven't really cared about doing anything for weeks. This project is going to take much focus and a lot of caring, and I can feel myself getting into it. I'm a creative person by nature, and I'm relieved that this part of my personality is coming back. I was worried!

Breakfast was eggs scrambled with feta. Ran out of bacon, but the feta was a nice addition.

Left work an hour early because of my sore throat. I stopped by the health food store and got something I have used in the past....Wellness Formula. I hope it will work this time. I also got a jar of coconut butter.

Rest of meals today were:

lunch: chicken, turkey, muenster, apple
    dinner: chicken, cucumber, feta, coconut bark for desert

I'm glad that any "low carb flu" is apparently hiding beneath my other problems.

BTW, my doctor ordered a sleep study for me. I'll learn more when I talk to the doctor next week.

Still sick. This morning, I woke up with red splotches on my neck and collarbones. Time to head back to the doctor's office.

Had cheese for breakfast and some black tea.

So, the doctor said it's "just" a virus. I'm on antihistamines for it, and she told me to try some Mucinex for my symptoms. Oh, and I am down a couple of pounds since last week, even though my TOM started today.

Here's what else I've eaten today:
    chicken, apple, coconut oil, beef, cheese

And I stopped and got an icy Diet Coke for my throat.

Dinner will probably be steak and a salad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast