Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 weeks on primal and still have low carb flu? page 2

Geeky Grok is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll stick it out and try some of the suggestions.

The one suggestion I'm not sure what to do with is the calorie one. There were a couple days in when I was recording in FitDay where I was surprised at how few calories I'd eaten but I was completely sated. I seemed to have corrected for that by making sure I get plenty of salad dressing and adding the nuts/berries for an afternoon snack. Nevertheless, I'm not sure I could force myself to eat more (and I'm not sure what I would eat!).

BTW, is it gross that I could eat a tablespoon of coconut oil right out of the jar? It tastes like a tropical vacation. So far, I only lick the spoon clean...

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeky Grok View Post

BTW, is it gross that I could eat a tablespoon of coconut oil right out of the jar? It tastes like a tropical vacation. So far, I only lick the spoon clean...
    LOL, many here can do that. Some can eat butter by the stick too. To each their own.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeky Grok View Post

BTW, is it gross that I could eat a tablespoon of coconut oil right out of the jar?
    No....

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    I still remeber the day, it was 6 weeks into being primal that I jumped out of bed like I got an expresso injected in me. That was when the flu was over. Almost 1 year now.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Going cold turkey on carbs is tough, but in my humble opinion i do not really see the value of cutting them down so quickly. Parsnips, Butternut Squash, yams, fruit(yes fruit) are good sources of carbs.

If you are trying to lose weight, for instance, and come from a grain/junk background, then these sorts of carbs are going to help you, in my opinion. May take longer to lose the weight, but who really cares. I have seen many people go from high carb to low carb quickly and have a torrid time doing so.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    i just bought some coconut oil. . . it smelled so good. i ate a teaspoon and felt great for hours!!! however, i will try cooking with it instead. some people put in it their coffee as well.

grannyannie is offline Junior Member
    OMG - I'm so happy to hear that. I decided to go primal ten days ago. I haven't had a hard time staying away from the grains and sugars and processed foods but starting two day ago I've felt awful. Nausea, headaches, fatige, low energy etc. I thought I was getting sick. I'm losing pounds/inches already but will be glad when I feel better. Now I know just to keep with it and things will improve! Thanks!

Wade is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone,
    I've been on PB for about 2 weeks and to be honest I don't feel well at all. I struggle with all the same symptoms as above, headaches, fatigue, lethargy, irritable, fogginess, trouble thinking, a tightness at my temples and not being mentally sharp and in general I have no motivation. I hope this passes soon because it is actually starting to affect my performance at work. I eat about 75g of carbs/day, do you think I should increase it? Calories are correct according to Fitday.com.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I've been on PB for about 2 weeks and to be honest I don't feel well at all. I struggle with all the same symptoms as above, headaches, fatigue, lethargy, irritable, fogginess, trouble thinking, a tightness at my temples and not being mentally sharp and in general I have no motivation. I hope this passes soon because it is actually starting to affect my performance at work. I eat about 75g of carbs/day, do you think I should increase it? Calories are correct according to Fitday.com.
    In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, i would say yes, increase your carb intake. I'm not sure i really understand the low carb all or nothing mentality, it's not healthy to me.

Eat things like parsnip, skinless yams(and butter gaaah), squash, and some fruit etc, because.....and understand this....they are not evil. Going from high refined carb/sugar diet to a low carb diet is pretty hellish, and i think unnecessary. Many people just make themselves unhappy.

The key to this way of eating is first- Quality. That means quality protein, carbohydrate, and fat. I'm not saying eat yams 3 times a day, i'm not even saying starchy root veg 3 times a day. i'm not saying, eat 10 pieces of fruit a day. But don't deprive yourself of this stuff just because of something you've read. These carbs are still 'primal'. When you have the quality of food down and are comfortable with that, THEN think about dialing in the food choices to an even greater degree. It depends on your goals.

With that said, i still think that if one is low carbing it, it would still be beneficial to eat a yam every now and then, and the starchier veggies when you feel you need to. But first of all you need to get used to eating quality food, and not dig yourself into a no carb hell-hole.

Thats my 2 cents, may or may not be right, so take it or leave it. But getting oneself caught up into the dogma of low carb/zero carb is a one way street. Strachy veg is very useful if your activity level is quite high also.
    Last edited by Rocco Hill; 03-02-2011 at 03:27 PM.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's good that you've been doing daily walking. I would recommend that you start doing some sort of strenuous exercise two to three times weekly, whether it's lifting, biking, playing sports, etc. This, along with everything else recommended in this thread, will help to give you more energy. I know this might sound like the last thing you want to do, but exercise works in a weird way -- the more you do, the more you'll want to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast