Thread: Getting back into primal eating? page

cateydid is offline Junior Member

Question Getting back into primal eating?

Shop Now
    Hi, all. I used to eat primal (with the exception of peanut butter and peanuts--never going to give those up!) a year ago. Lost my stubborn 15 lbs and was feeling great!

Then I got a little too cocky and secure and began eating refined sugar and white flour again. Needless to say, I've regained weight I lost and had kept off until I went crazy with the grains and sugar. Not only that, but I'm puffier, especially in my hands and feet, and I've gotten sick twice for the first time in a looong time.

So I know it's time to ditch the junky carbs again, but every time I try, I end up caving. Why the heck is that?! I don't remember it being this hard to go primal the first time around. My junk cravings usually begin in the midafternoon and at night, even after a day of lots of good protein, fat, and fiber. Anyone have any tips on how to bite through the bullet and get back into the swing of things? Any good ways to suppress the awful sugar cravings?

Thanks so much for reading all this. Have a great week, all.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You control what goes in your mouth.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

cateydid is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    You control what goes in your mouth.
    Well said. I oughta make this a mantra when my roommate's cookies start looking nice.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    I just jumped back on the bandwagon after a couple of months of "sort-of" trying. I guess I had to have an epiphany (that would be last Saturday) to really get me motivated to get back to it. Since Saturday it's been really easy, because my epiphany is so much louder than any cravings I might have. And I know from past experience that the longer I stay Primal, the easier it gets. So while I don't necessarily love the tough-love advice some give here on the forums, I see their point. You have to decide that getting back on track is more important to you than the muffin is. Have you started a Primal Journal yet? I find it's a good way to stay focused and check in with yourself regularly. You can do it! But you do have to decide to do it.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Look up coconut bark on here. I wing it every time, but I mic coconut oil, cocoa, a little salt, and a touch of honey in a double boiler. Chuck it in the fridge in an ice cube tray, or a shallow pan. After a while, you can cut back on the honey until you can do without it.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    *mix

And sometimes I'll add a dash of hot pepper.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Have you thought about setting yourself a 30 day challenge. I've found I could stick with it if I focussed on 30 days instead of thinking it was forever. Then I'm going to have a little treat and then carry right on with a new challenge.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

pk79 is offline Member
    cateydid, i had the same experience. went primal last year, dropped 40 lbs, and then over the holidays i put 10 back on faster than i even realized. Now, a month later, I"ve been kind of primal, eating clean but just a few things here and there, and must have been in that maintenance zone, because the lbs aren't coming off and the clothes aren't getting any looser. only recently did i start back up my dailyplate log and track. for me, right now anyway, until i get used to pure primal, i'm going to have to track and stay between that 50-100. i can already tell a difference even after a few days. best of luck to you.
    boom.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I find the best thing to do is make sure those foods aren't even around to snack on, in case will-power gets weak. You said you have a roommate, but if any of the food is yours throw it away or give it away to your friends (or your enemies). Get it out of your place. That way, if you feel your roommate's Frosted Flakes (or whatever) calling you, you'll at least have to ask permission before you touch them. Also, keep good Primal snacks around to distract yourself. "Hmm...I'll have to ask my roommie about her chocolate chips, or I could just eat these cashews. I don't have to ask anyone about them, or do any work to prepare them..."
    Otherwise, it's just a matter of toughing through. Sorry, but I think that's what it's got to be.
    Good luck!