Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No really, this is just getting crazy page

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member

No really, this is just getting crazy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, sorry for bothering you nice people again, but really I need some help. This is just getting out of hand.

I have the Primal Leap. I did the calculations. I weight roughly 125lb, I am 5'2" and 24 years old. I did the math and it came out I need about 100g of fat, 80gs of protien, and 50g of carbs. With a total of 1442cals a day.

I have been trying to do this. The farest I have gotten was four days not counting cal or carbs, and two days with keeping track. The first day is ok, however, the second day I do ok till night when I feel like I am basically going to die without sugar/carbs. Am I just being a baby about this? Is this how everyone feels? I mean people say you go through withdraw but I mean like I feel dizzy, lathargic, angry, my legs feel like led, and I have no energy and horrible horrible cravings. Its to the point that I actually dream about eating cake, pie, cookies etc. I am also having trouble sleeping at night. And this is the second day. Not the second week.

So then I went wth my boyfriend and bought some dark chocolate to try and get the cravings undercontrol. This totally lead to horrible binging or over 1,000 more cal and about 150gs of carbs. Mostly from 2 sweet potatoes, 2 bananas, 1/2 cup raspberries, protien powerder, and chocolate.

What should I do? If I continue to eat like this, I am going to feel even more like shit and gain a lot of weight.
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Carb flu sucks, but you have to get through it. The more you give in to it the longer it will take. For some it may last a couple of days and for others a couple of months. Yes it sucks, but once your through it it is done. There is no other advice than to just suck it up until it passes. You wouldn't tell a heroin addicted to give up on quiting because the withdrawl sucks, would you? Well, you're a sugar addict. No time like the present, so you might as well get to it.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If you're craving sugar, you don't get it under control by eating sugar--as I guess you've found out.

I have no real advice for you because I never went through such a strong 'withdrawal' experience. I've been eating low carb for years, and my body seems to love it.

However, I have a great sweet tooth, and I've found that I do best with NOTHING sweet at all, not even artificial sweeteners.

It may take about 2 weeks for you to adjust, but try to keep in mind that mental attitude is important. The more you dwell on eating carbs, even in your imagination, the more you'll want them. If this doesn't work for you, then perhaps this isn't the right WOE for you.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I was nauseous at times during my low carb flu! Your body hasn't yet learned to burn fat as fuel and it's like "Where the HELL is my sugar!?" When that was going on, I would eat a small handful of blueberries just so I wouldn't develop a raging headache and keel over. It helped.

L-glutamine (1000-2000 mgs, 3x/day between meals) really helps the sugar cravings and gives your brain an alternate fuel source. It can really take the edge off. Carnitine (maybe 500 mg 3x/day) helps your body to burn fatty acids for fuel, so it speeds up the adaption process.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    What you describe are normal symptoms of the low-carb flu, and are the result of not having access to glucose, which your body has been used to using for energy. Fat requires other pathways to be used, which in some people have atrophied and therefore must be built back up; while this is happening you aren't going to feel your best. As far as getting past it, there's cutting down on carbs slowly, and doing it all at once. Personally I am an "all at once" guy (and that's the recommendation I see most on the boards), but I imagine that personal variation is important. Also, not everyone functions very well in ketosis, try a higher carb count to see if it works better for you. Just remember to cut down on your fat proportionately so that you're not suddenly eating a whole lot more calories.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    For me, I just cut all sources of added sugar cold turkey. For 30 days, no fruits even and no dark chocolate. I haven't experienced overwhelming cravings except once (when I saw orange juice, I wanted it really bad. Once in a while if I think of a carby food, I do crave it, but I just ignore it. I think, for me, if I have sugar it just makes me crave more of it.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Eat as much fat and protein as you want until you get through carb flu. Screw calories and "proper amount" Eat as much as you want as often as you want.

Also, play around with the quality and timing of your carbs. Some do better with even carbs through the day, some do better with very few carbs in the morning meal and more at dinner. Go for the low GI bulky carbs. i.e. veggies, not fruit or chocolate
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    Gosh, I feel like a drug addict. I wish someone would lock me in a room for like a week and just give me healthy good.

I am worried about how long the carb flu is going to last. I am a teacher and I don't want to kill my students.

I am kind of a all or nothing person. I guess I can just try again. Maybe be a little more prepared this time around. So tomorrow I guess I will see how I feel. Attempt not to give in to the sugar. I just hate the feeling of failing.
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure you need to be this low carb? Maybe for now, you could try closer to 100 g of carbs and see how you feel, the drop down more slowly if you aren't meeting your goals.

SloGo is offline Member
    I could not do cold turkey - I was afraid that I may not have the resolve to stick to it. So I took the opposite approach, cutting out one food group out at a time, starting with stuff I had least interest in (like rice and bread) and cutting out much-beloved chocolate last. Took a couple of months, so I did not see as drastic results right away, but got away without much suffering. Plus it gave me some "trial and error" ramp-up time to re-learn how to shop and cook differently from what I have been so used to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast