Thread: New PaNu article on plant-based "magic compounds" page

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member

New PaNu article on plant-based "magic compounds"

Kurt might be softening his stance on veg a little bit, from no-good-whatsoever to good-in-limited-amounts-only.

Part 1
    Part 2

Short version: plant polyphenols have negative effects on the body, but in small amounts the body over-compensates for the damage, resulting in a net gain. This effect is called hormesis, and is the same thing that happens with other stressors like exercise, sun exposure, etc. Part 2 even mentions Mark's BAS

What does your veg intake look like? I eat a moderate amount, maybe half a bunch of greens plus what's in my BAS (which being mostly lettuce is really a lot less than it looks). It's cool to see some new information coming out, but like Kurt says in part 2, I eat mine mostly for taste (though the extra minerals can't hurt) and would probably keep things the same whatever the truth ends up being.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I don't believe he was ever no good whatsoever. He has pretty much been good in low/moderate amounts as far as I can tell. It's the starches he really changed on though.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yup he is a skeptic like I am - when faced with a proposition of truth, try as hard as you can to falsify it and don't believe it until you are absolutely sure. Of course I don't always practice that and he probably doesn't but he was looking at evidence like the Inuit who thrived on none of that so he become skeptical. Also it makes sense at first glance that when the body is out of homeostasis/optimal hormone and enzyme levels stuff like that helps to bring us back to where we should be but someone who is very healthy may not benefit from it as much, and that is true in many respects. Of course there are some plant nutrients that allow us to go over the top of what would be possible otherwise.

I'm sure we all agree that the whole obsession with fruits and vegetables as if everyone would just eat 10 servings a day then all health problems would be solved is naive and wrong. It is icing on the coconut flour paleo cake (srsly, fruit is a healthy alternative to icing).
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    He was never really anti-veg at all, he just said he didn't really eat much veg. Personally I like veg and if a little cabbage or broccoli is the worst thing I eat (which I don't believe) then I feel fine about that.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    STABBY YOU"RE BACK! haha. yay though.