Thread: Ok teach me biology 101 page

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member

Ok teach me biology 101

Shop Now
    I am going low on carbs. Maybe 20-30grams maybe a bit more as I am not "counting"

I am riding about an hour a day and doing a bit of full body exercises too.

So if I deplete my glycogen stores (I did 10 sprints today on the bike and rode 45 minutes) over days or reduce them a lot then what happens as far as muscle glycogen replenishment.

A. I this only replenish with the carbs I am eating or
    B. Can the body use other sources i.e. fats/protein to create the sugars to help in the process?

Thanks,

Stephen

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Now, I'm dumber than a bag of hammers, so know that before you listen too much to me. But I believe your body can convert some of the protein into glucose.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Whats your motivation for carb restriction?

It started out as weight loss. I am about 175 and I want to be 155. Power to weight ratio. I was training hard November/December and I was just getting strong and things felt great. My base miles were adding up and 4 hour trainer sessions were feeling great. I was fueling on carbs about every 90 minutes. BUT THEN I JUMPED ON A SCALE - 180 lbs. I raced at around 162 last year. I was not really fat and I had been doing weight training since last year but that won't help me scale a mountain!

Now I still want to lose weight but I am very surprised that I feel very good and if I can do 3 months of base training while losing some weight I would be very happy. I can introduce more carbs later when the intensity is higher and I am getting closer to some events.

Calories restriction in the general sense just kills my workouts and I just don't get anywhere. I am always too extreme. I dropped my intake of everything in January and ended up almost non-functional and severely dehydrated. I took me month to just feel normal again. If I can eat high fat/ protein and lose weight AND still train I am golden. Since I am really just in an endurance mode I don't need a ton of stores of sugar.
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-01-2011 at 04:25 PM.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    It started out as weight loss. I am about 175 and I want to be 155. Power to weight ratio. I was training hard November/December and I was just getting strong and things felt great. My base miles were adding up and 4 hour trainer sessions were feeling great. I was fueling on carbs about every 90 minutes. BUT THEN I JUMPED ON A SCALE - 180 lbs. I raced at around 162 last year. I was not really fat and I had been doing weight training since last year but that won't help me scale a mountain!.
    what kind of carbs were you fueling on? were you primal/paleo at the time?

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

I was was not primal/paleo per se but I read paleo and changed my habits a couple years ago. Primal is new to me. My daily food was basically veggies and fruits but in large quantity. Although I had been slowly adding in some carbs from grains I am passed that.

I was stupid to fall in the trap of simple carbs for training and was while eating at home I would eat toast with honey or jam every 90 minutes or so. I was just to much food. My muscles were happy but so were my fat cells.

I am going really nearly straight Paleo with on very minor exceptions right now but with no deliberate carbs (for now).
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-02-2011 at 10:09 AM.

batty is offline Senior Member
    remember that not all carbs are the same. what did you in, obviously, was the grains and the sugar.

any primal/paleo authority i've read says that particularly active/athletic/endurance people do need to keep their carbs up for performance. steering clear of the fructose, this can be achieved with sweet potatoes, etc. but i do agree that i dont think as much carbohydrate is needed as "they" say is needed.

then there's the 'train low race high' theory, where you dont need the extra carbage until race day.

i have seen a few places, however, where cyclists have maintained VLC throughout training AND on race day, their performance suffers for 2-3 weeks, but then improves again. i, personally, do not have the desire to add to the experiment.

i only stumbled on a couple pages on this, though. the majority of them, however, still say you need carbs.
    Last edited by batty; 03-02-2011 at 10:53 AM.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I have a related question. When you read about coconut oil, it sounds like medium-chain fatty acids (which is in coconut oil) is metabolized by the body in the same way as carbs, as opposed to other fats. What I want to know is whether or not there is a correlation between getting low-carb flu and coconut oil.

Those of you low-carbers who ingest lots of coconut oil: Did you get low-carb flu?

Those of you low-carbers who do not ingest lots of coconut oil: Did you get low-carb flu?