Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sour Cream? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Sour Cream?

Primal Fuel
    I thought about purchasing some sour cream until I looked at the ingredients and then I wasn't sure I should.

Organic Valley Sour Cream Ingredients:
    Organic Cultured Pasteurized Skim Milk, Organic Pasteurized Cream, Organic Nonfat Milk, Corn Starch, Acidophilus and Bifidus Cultures.

Corn starch? Any suggestions for sour cream? Or just avoid it? I have also seen cultured sour cream, but also had corn starch. Is cultured better?

Sour cream is confusing me! lol

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    If you can find Wallaby Organics, their sour cream only has cream and cultures. it also tastes so much better than the other brands.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    All food is organic.
    Organic = carbon-containing molecule with a carbon-hydrogen bond.
    The term 'organic' doesn't mean shit.
    Coal is organic.
    Polystyrene is organic.
    Sorry if I burst anyone's bubble.

Sour cream is delicious. Eat it.
    Last edited by Dave_o; 03-01-2011 at 03:43 PM.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I got some Daisy brand. Nothing in it but cream. It's not organic, but I wasn't in a position to be picky at the time. It was a million times better than the low-fat garbage my sister-in-law gave us.

Gordo

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I love Daisy sour cream... I hadn't checked their ingredients, yet! Yeah!! Thanks!!

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    "Nancy's" brand is good. I picked it up recently and I don't remember any corn starch. Its cultured and organic.

liza is offline Senior Member
    Yes, Daisy is amazing, especially considering that it's a widely available mainstream brand, that is real dairy with none of the additives that most other mainstream brands have. Its sour cream is made of cream and cultures. You might also be interested in Daisy full fat (4%) cottage cheese (Daisy also has a 2% cottage cheese, so look to see which you're buying); its ingredients are also only the dairy.

There are also other brands of delicious sour cream available that are only cream and cultures, but many brands are filled with all sorts of other stuff - read the ingredients lists carefully.
    Last edited by liza; 03-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    All food is organic.
    Organic = carbon-containing molecule with a carbon-hydrogen bond.
    The term 'organic' doesn't mean shit.
    Coal is organic.
    Polystyrene is organic.
    Sorry if I burst anyone's bubble.

Um, corn starch = not awesome. Powdered milk = oxidized fats. Conventional dairy usually = growth hormones and shitloads of antibiotics (because, you know, antibiotic resistance isn't nearly widespread enough...)

Sorry to be a snot, but yes, when it comes to dairy products, "organic" is a USDA legal term and does mean something. I was recommending Wallaby more for the fact that it's just cream and no fillers, though.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    [B]
    agreed!!!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Why is sour cream being made with SKIM milk?

I've gone back and forth and I often just buy Tillamook. The ingredients are good and Tillamook dairy farmers, while not organic are at least reasonably humane (they are all pastured but also fed grain) and there is a no growth hormones and the cows only receive antibiotics on an individual animal level i.e. when THAT cow is sick, and then that cow is taken out of the dairy line until antibiotics have cleared the system.

You do need to keep checking their ingredients list. 5 years ago their icecream was milk, cream, sugar, fruit. Now it has corn syrup and all kinds of crap in it.

Edit - never mind. Tillamook sour cream is all fakey foods now too. Why do they bother with their strict dairy laws if they then add crap to the products?
    Last edited by runnergal; 03-01-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: ARRRGGGH!
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast