Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison backstrap help page

shrona is offline Member

Venison backstrap help

How do you cook it? I have always dredged in flour and fried in canola oil, eek. I am thinking coconut flour (or no flour), and frying in tallow, and serving w/ a blueberry pan sauce instead of cream gravy, but I am wide open to suggestions! I also have plenty of bacon grease . . .

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I like to do:

1. Fill up my pan/skillet with about 3 or 4 TBS of tallow.
    2. Fry 1 onion (sliced) until just done with some salt and pepper to taste.
    3. Turn the heat up to high and cut the backstrap into little medallions about 3/4" thick and throw them in with the onions.
    4. Fry for just a minute or so on each side, keeping the venison nice and rare in the middle (the ONLY way game meat should be eaten) and finish with a little more salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    send to me.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, the last time I had backstrap I cut it into little cubes, dipped it in tamari sauce, and ate it raw. Deer sashimi- lol

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I did mine with a very quick broil. Nothing but a little kosher salt.

I've been cooking wild game for about 1o years now. The trick with game is the tender meat, the meat that is farthest away from the heat and feet, should be cooked hot and fast. The tougher meat (closest to the head and feet) should be cooked low and slow. How we cook backstrap; First we dried off the meat with a paper towel, dry meat gets a lovely sear. Then we sprinkle salt and pepper on it and sear it in a hot skillet, just a few minutes on each side. Sometimes we deglaze the skillet with a cup of red wine, after you pull out the backstrap. Let it simmer for a few minutes till reduced and pour over the meat. Always let your meat rest after cooking for about 5 minutes for maximum flavor. If you cook your tender cuts too long, the connective tissue, which is abundant in wild meat, will contract and give you a tough liver tasting meat. Good luck!
    Here is a post I did on it.
    Paul’s supreme venison sausage The Go Lightly Gourmet

shrona is offline Member
    Thanks everyone! I cooked it in tallow for about 90 seconds on each side, served w/ onions and mushrooms, it was great and still plenty rare in the middle! When I was making it, I was thinking about eating it raw Diana, and I just couldn't stomach the thought! Not as culinarily adventurous as I thought, I maybe could have eaten it that way if someone served it to me . jrherring, that venison already flew from TX to CA with my dad, I think if I sent it back - it would be the most energy intensive venison ever eaten.

Agatsu is offline Member
    Glad to hear it turned out well.
    Another suggestion for future reference (as I missed the post originally)...
    Marinate your venison in a little olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning (some off brands call it Canadian steak seasoning). Then grill til rare.
    The seasoning is a coarse blend of all kinds of stuff (salt, pepper, coriander, etc) and goes reall well with any red meat.
    Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
    - Ralph Marston

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you already made it; however here is how I cook mine.

Cut into one inch cubes and marinade in cider vinegar and BBQ sauce. Wrap each cube with a piece of bacon and use a tooth pick to hold together. Grill until done.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by shrona View Post
    Thanks everyone! I cooked it in tallow for about 90 seconds on each side, served w/ onions and mushrooms, it was great and still plenty rare in the middle! When I was making it, I was thinking about eating it raw Diana, and I just couldn't stomach the thought! Not as culinarily adventurous as I thought, I maybe could have eaten it that way if someone served it to me . jrherring, that venison already flew from TX to CA with my dad, I think if I sent it back - it would be the most energy intensive venison ever eaten.
    tell your dad to hook me up next time he's here...!

glad you enjoyed it! i grew up eating venison battered, fried, and occasionally roasted. sometimes sausaged. i would love to get some more.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast