Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling like the Grinch that stole Halloween..... page 3

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I'm a primal parent and this year I'm hosting a halloween party. I'll be making treats, such as nutclusters with honey, dark chocolate primal brownies, berries covered in dark chocolate, nut butter truffles covered in dark chocolate, and coconut cream berry ice cream. (I'm having my bday on halloween too, so I needed some primal treats instead of SAD bday cake.)

I will allow my son to trick or treat. He will get a few "treats" on halloween, 1 treat the next day, and the rest goes in the trash.

I believe that creating a forbidden fruit type of relationship with sugar can be very dangerous. My type 1 diabetic hubby can attest to this. In our house we have foods that help our bodies, and "once in a while" foods that aren't good for us, but in very small moderation (in my opinion) will not harm us. They do not have a place in our pantry or fridge, but celebrations, gifts, etc. I believe are ok to partake in.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Maleficarum is offline Member

i think the non-food treats is an awesome idea. I am going to push this idea to my wife. Of course, we will probably be out with our two little girls, so it may not matter at all.

Of course now we have the issue of having to explain why our 2 year old's candy bonanza secretly disappears.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Mostly because I want to be able to use what's left! What about pumpkin seeds? Now I just have to find a place to get them wholesale!

Edit: Found this site, has some good ideas

http://www.greenhalloween.org/content.php?page=treats

maba is offline Senior Member

I thought I'll revive this thread since Halloween is only a few days away. I have lots of kids living in my community and would love to have them come T or T to my house but there's no way I'm going to give them candy. I'm thinking of giving them pencils or other such stuff. What are you all doing?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

A squirt with a water gun!

I grok, therefore I am.

maba is offline Senior Member

LOL! I would do that only if I want the parents to boycott our house in the future.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

acmebike...

do that and guarantee your house will be egged (well-at least they are primal!)

good suggestions already-Dove chocolate or Hershey Special Dark, trail mix, temp tatoos...all good ideas. I'd go with the chocolate.

Acmebike is offline Member

There will be sugar at my house. It has been decided. 300+ kids will get sugar sugar sugar to their racing hearts' content. Much insulin will be spent, but not by me! Won't touch the stuff. I pray that one parent that stops by my house will throw the candy out! Just one!

Jerky will be on hand for the odd Primal pal that should stumble by....

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

Don't give socks for Christmas no matter how appropriate. Na mean?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

For all the parents out there that are in the predicament of taking their kids out for trick or treating but don't want the junk in their house...

The idea that my wife came up with tonight was, we do a small round of trick or treating (maybe one street). After that, they get to pick ONE and only one treat out of their bags. Now, we are going to have a goodie bag on hand for each of them. It will contain some treats that we approve of, a small stuffed animal (or something), and some other great goodies that they would love to have. So, at the end of the night after they eat their one piece of candy, then they will trade their collection of trick or treating candy for our 'Super Fantastic Awesome Loot Bags'. I think it's a decent compromise.

Then, I can offload the junk to the people at work that like to drink pop in the morning and wash it down with a super-massive caramel-chocolate bar...sometimes two.

I grok, therefore I am.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast