Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling like the Grinch that stole Halloween..... page 2

emmie is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

While you can't control other kids, here's something I read about that you might be able to adapt for your own children. No children have a more difficult Halloween than type1 diabetics. For them, candy is truly poison, yet how can their parents keep them from all the 'stuff' that's so important in childhood?

A hospital in my area has the parents bring their kids to a Halloween 'exchange' after their trick or treating. The children get to pick toys to take home in exchange for their sugary loot.

This works well because the children don't seem to wonder what the hospital is going to do with all that candy, but if you were to 'buy' your own kids' candy, you might have to think of a use for it that you could explain to the kids.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Move somewhere where you don't get trick-or-treaters, lol. I used to live in the boonies in HI, now I live in the boonies of northern CA. Since I got too old to trick-or-treat anymore, I stay home. I've seen two trick or treaters in 12 years of Halloweens at my houses.

You could always hand out energy bars? What about those lara bars? Pricy though, but not high in sugar.

karlin is offline Junior Member

As you know, I think the raisins are a good alternative, but I think pencils/stickers/little trinkets (spider rings, etc) are a GREAT idea! My son likes to go trick or treating, but he knows he's not allowed to eat most of the stuff he gets....but he would be overjoyed to get something other than candy. We'll even come by your house and he can make a big deal about how great it all is. haha.

caroline Guest

I give out bite-size Endangered Species chocolates. Better than pure sugar candy, and the company donates 10% of their profits toward saving endangered species. They sell bags of the individually-wrapped bite-size bars for Halloween.

http://www.chocolatebar.com/shop/p-9...-tote-bag.aspx

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

When I was a kid, my parents would give us free rein with all of our loot (we didn't get candy pretty much the rest of the year). They would always preface this with a statement to the effect, "You know you're gonna feel like crap if you eat all of that.". But they let us eat it, and indeed, we DID feel like crap.

Eventualy, my brothers and I caught on ;-)

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Heck, you can go to just about anywhere and buy bags of individually wrapped Dove's dark chocolates. A bit more expensive than Snickers or M&Ms, but not as expensive as buying organic stuff.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I think the trinkets are a great idea- as long as they're something good- like temporary tattoos.

On the candy scale, gum can be a relatively harmless treat.

poundcake Guest

Ah, Halloween, the madness. I let my kids have free reign on Halloween night, and they usually do feel like crap afterwards. Then I let them have three or four pieces the next day and then we toss it, in the trash, no questions asked. I remember hoarding mine until Christmas, portioning it out just so so that I would never be without my chocolate. I was obsessed.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Sometimes my mom will make up bags of school goodies like halloween themed erasers, pencils, etc...

Our kids wanted to participate in the school chocolate bar drive this year - I think the product this year is very large caramilk bars. We felt pretty horrible saying no to that. They're getting to know the primal ways pretty quick though.

I grok, therefore I am.

Wyattlulz Guest

PrimalCon New York

make chocolate covered bacon and give it out

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast