Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rosacea page

shannonstoney is offline Senior Member

rosacea

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been reading the posts about acne and PB, but I wonder if anybody has had any success curing rosacea with a primal diet. Rosacea is a little different from regular acne. People of Celtic descent are particularly prone to it, and it seems to be exacerbated by exposure to sun. It starts out as broken capillaries in the cheeks and on the nose usually, and sometimes turns into little red bumps. I've had this condition now for about 20 years; it started when I was around 35 I guess. It comes and goes.

I've been eating a primal diet now for a year. I still eat some dairy such as cheese and cream and butter, but almost no milk or yogurt Recently I stopped eating nuts, and my rosacea flared up. Not sure if there was any connection there, but nuts were the last PUFAs in my diet.

Thinking about eliminating dairy altogether as an experiment, and maybe fruit as well.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I do believe that Vitamin D has been known to help. Info here.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    That's really interesting about the nuts. Today, I received this newsletter from my former "diet guru". I have a new bottle of GLA (black currant seed oil) from my Fat Flush days that is still good and thought I might try using it (with plenty of Omega 3's to balance) and see if it helps. Here is some info about it. I am leery of adding Omega 6's but people on her forum swear by her GLA for a number of things.

I have also read about one cause of rosacea being low HCL. There is a test you can do yourself to see if you have low stomach acid. I am trying to supplement HCL because i am very low. I totally flunked the HCL test and have terrible rosacea. I do feel that dairy makes it worse. I may try to go totally dairy free soon to see the effect but am trying a few other things first.

Daily green tea does seem to help me with the inflammation. I know it's an inflammation issue and just haven't found the magic button yet to turn it off. I have heard from real people on the other forum who have said that the HCL helped them but it took a long time.

Hopefully, we can find solutions to this scourge!
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 03-01-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

I am trying Dr. Cordain's anti-acne diet, even though rosacea is different from regular acne. His thesis is that high glycemic index foods like potatoes cause acne. I did start eating more potatoes recently. Yesterday I quit, and we'll see what happens. Also I quit cheese and yogurt (I had already stopped grains a long time ago).

I've heard about the HCL thing. It seems worth a try: couldn't hurt.

Do you drink the green tea or put it on your face?

I'm taking 4000 units a day, because the smog here makes sunbathing ineffective for the most part.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Hi. Onset for me was also right at 35, come to think of it. With Paleo/Primal, I have had some success with my rosacea, but not complete. I am dairy-free and nightshade-free. I was nut-free for 30 days and did not notice a difference irt rosacea (but did in other ways). Once those capillaries are broken around the nose, I don't think they can ever get un-broken. The redness on my Rudolf nose did go away, however, as did much (but not all) on my cheeks. I am going next week to get all this taken care of via pulsed light (laser). Noninvasive, and I should be out of there pretty quickly. The doctor said I'd only need one treatment. I probably would have needed more if it weren't for this WOE. Foods that cool -- such as cucumbers and melons -- definitely do help.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

let us know how the pulsed light thing goes.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    I've had the pulsed light. It reduces the redness, but it just comes back.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    TigerLily, I had laser treatment for rosacea several years ago. It helped with the broken capillaries and slightly with the overall redness-for a while. While I still have redness, it has improved after giving up grains and sugar. I was hoping for more improvement when I gave up Diet Pepsi in November but can't really see a difference.

Shat, I'd be interested in learning more about the HCL connection. If you could provide links/info I'd appreciate it. I have always wondered about a connection between my rosacea onset and having my gallbladder removed.

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    I think sugar in any form is really really important to remove. Recently after a shameful binge day (premenstrual and was exposed to an Almond Joy...whoops!) my face was much redder the day before. Going primal in general has helped a lot but my face was the least red when I eliminated ALL sources of sugar, including fruits, to kill off the candida remaining in my system. You might want to do a paleo anti-candida diet for a couple weeks and see how it goes.
    I don't own a scale and don't care to!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast