Thread: Sources for Grassfed Beef in Ontario? page

nopie is offline Senior Member

Sources for Grassfed Beef in Ontario?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So in my searches I came across one promising place. We don't live overly close to Ottawa but my little brother goes to school there, so we could plan a trip up there to pick up meat and him I suppose at some point. Looks like they have a bit of a 'wait list'- has anyone tried this farm?

Totally Natural Grass-Fed Beef!

Any other options? I don't need fancy- I am cool with frozen ground beef. The options locally (in Southwestern Ontario) seem to me NIL.

I did a forum search but couldn't find much!

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    This may help.

Eat Wild - Canada

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Fuck. The forums just ate my entire post. Well, here's a short version:

I'm in Ottawa and I recently joined some guys who cow-pooled to get 1/2 cow from Dunbrae Farms. Good prices and damn good meat. There's also Grazing Days near Ottawa, I think, but their prices seemed higher to me.

My advice would be to first head to a butcher shop and ask them. They should know local farmers who raise stock on grass, etc. If not, ask them if they know someone who would know. Just follow the leads. You could also check a farmer's market in your area and ask around. You can usually find people who will know about farmers who can provide what you're looking for, if no one there can do so directly.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

janaturner is offline Junior Member
    Where exactly are you? I've had a few places bookmarked (I think I got them from Eat Wild already posted by NicoleP) but haven't dealt with any first hand - found a butcher in Toronto that's had a fairly reliable supply. You could check them out in case they're closer to you than the one in Ottawa:

Lake Land Meats | Venison, Elk, Wild Boar, Bison, Kangaroo, Ostrich, Pheasant, Duck, Quail, Rabbit
    Svetec Farms
    Products JC Nyman Farms (not sure if this one is 100% grass fed)
    Products - McSmith's Organic Farm (not sure if this one is 100% grass fed)
    Fairchild Farm - Home Page
    http://www.twincreeksfarm.ca/home-mainmenu-1

Jana
    Last edited by janaturner; 03-01-2011 at 06:11 PM.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I'm a little dumb but how to cows graze in frigid snow and ice covered land in Ottawa's lovely winters? Okay I know not everyday is frigid and icy but the winter is pretty cold there. I can't imagine the cows being out in it.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    This may help.

Eat Wild - Canada
    Perfect! Killed a couple of hours looking up various options close to me. Will keep that link handy!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Fuck. The forums just ate my entire post. Well, here's a short version:

I'm in Ottawa and I recently joined some guys who cow-pooled to get 1/2 cow from Dunbrae Farms. Good prices and damn good meat. There's also Grazing Days near Ottawa, I think, but their prices seemed higher to me.

My advice would be to first head to a butcher shop and ask them. They should know local farmers who raise stock on grass, etc. If not, ask them if they know someone who would know. Just follow the leads. You could also check a farmer's market in your area and ask around. You can usually find people who will know about farmers who can provide what you're looking for, if no one there can do so directly.
    I hate when my posts disappear. Thanks, I should go to the market this weekend and see. I just find it can be a bit of running around.. and people look at me like I have two heads when I ask about grass fed. Or they will say things like "our meats are grass fed" when they really mean, they eat grass and grains.

Quote Originally Posted by janaturner View Post
    Where exactly are you? I've had a few places bookmarked (I think I got them from Eat Wild already posted by NicoleP) but haven't dealt with any first hand - found a butcher in Toronto that's had a fairly reliable supply. You could check them out in case they're closer to you than the one in Ottawa:

Lake Land Meats | Venison, Elk, Wild Boar, Bison, Kangaroo, Ostrich, Pheasant, Duck, Quail, Rabbit
    Svetec Farms
    Products JC Nyman Farms (not sure if this one is 100% grass fed)
    Products - McSmith's Organic Farm (not sure if this one is 100% grass fed)
    Fairchild Farm - Home Page
    Welcome to Twin Creeks Organic Farm

Jana
    I'm in London Ontario- but I have a sales job and all of SWO is my territory, and my office is in Toronto so I don't mind driving

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Maybe I'm a little dumb but how to cows graze in frigid snow and ice covered land in Ottawa's lovely winters? Okay I know not everyday is frigid and icy but the winter is pretty cold there. I can't imagine the cows being out in it.
    They harvest hay from their own land and feed it during the winter.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    So they stay in the barn?

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    So they stay in the barn?
    Not always, but yeah.