Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Passover is upon us (calling all jews) page

Chairdr is offline Senior Member

Passover is upon us (calling all jews)

Primal Fuel
    Anybody have a primal Gefilte fish or gefilte fish recipe. They all use matzoh meal as a binder.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    I love me some Passover. Lots of grain free goodies that week

I always ALWAYS make this gefilte fish recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/gefilte-fish-pate . It does use matzah meal but you can totally do without. It's baked like a meatloaf so just use whatever binder you typically use for meatloaf. Maybe a little coconut flour? It's a lot less fussy than making poached gefilte fish balls because you don't have to worry about it falling apart, you just make sort of a fish batter and pour it into a bundt pan. If the pieces break a bit upon slicing it's no big deal.

Seriously, this is the best. Even gefilte fish haters love it.

I'll probably blog this within the next week or so...
    Last edited by erica057; 03-01-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    You could probably substitute any kind of nut flour as a binder. I would find coconut a bit sweet.

I guess it depends on whether you find the eating of the matzah itself important (the eating of the unleavened grain) or just the avoidance of the leavened grain. Some find the matzah part of the point (but then I would just eat a small bit of matzah ceremonially and move on with it, not grind it up in gefilte and other recipes)
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    I'm not Jewish, but I think Elana from Elana's Pantry is! I feel like I've seen recipes of hers that relate to Passover and Hanukkah.

Even if you can't find the recipe you're looking for check out her other stuff!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    You could probably substitute any kind of nut flour as a binder. I would find coconut a bit sweet.

I guess it depends on whether you find the eating of the matzah itself important (the eating of the unleavened grain) or just the avoidance of the leavened grain. Some find the matzah part of the point (but then I would just eat a small bit of matzah ceremonially and move on with it, not grind it up in gefilte and other recipes)
    I usually add sugar to CW gefilte fish, so I'd prob just use coconut flour and nix the sugar. The problem is that the gefilte pate sheds a lot of liquid so you want something pretty absorbent. Dried onions would work too...lately I've been in love with Penzeys Fox Point.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Pardon my original title... I meant (calling all "cavejews"). April will mark 1 year without (knowingly) eating a grain & being primal. It has become a badge of honor in my mind not to vary. I am not religious, but I enjoy going through the motions of being a 1/2 decent son & a great husband & father. So I want Gefilte fish while I present my hypocritcal passover seder. I guess I could just use almond meal. I still have time for more suggestions. I will be making a version of my ("borrowed" & then perfected) cauliflower pizza recipe as my matzoh, just keeping it thinner than usual. The recipe call for cheese in it, & there will be meat @ dinner (moms brisket of course), so in lies the hypocracy.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

strom is offline Senior Member

seriously??? What part primal are you following? If you cant eat the soup without the matzoh balls, than you cant possibly understand why I am not willing to add "trace amounts" of grains into my once a year treat that I enjoy (or at least did). I treat grain like the 11th plague. As a former fatty, I need to be extreme to maintain what I have achieved. We all need to do what works for us.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erica057 View Post
    I love me some Passover. Lots of grain free goodies that week

I always ALWAYS make this gefilte fish recipe: Gefilte Fish Pate - Martha Stewart Recipes . It does use matzah meal but you can totally do without. It's baked like a meatloaf so just use whatever binder you typically use for meatloaf. Maybe a little coconut flour? It's a lot less fussy than making poached gefilte fish balls because you don't have to worry about it falling apart, you just make sort of a fish batter and pour it into a bundt pan. If the pieces break a bit upon slicing it's no big deal.

Seriously, this is the best. Even gefilte fish haters love it.

I'll probably blog this within the next week or so...
    Oooo, definitely let me know how it goes! I've never been able to make myself try gefilte fish (something about that jar of stinky gelatinous goo), but I would totally try a baked gefilte fish pate. Unfortunately, my extended family can be resistant to change, so I'll have to check with my mom before I break it out for the seder...

FWIW, I'll probably do the ceremonial thing and eat a teeny bit of matzoh for the motzi and the "Hillel sandwich," but will definitely avoid putting it in other dishes.

Does anyone know if the gluten-free oat matzoh is considered acceptable for fulfilling the mitzvah? Just curious.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

bob
    bob is offline Member
    From what I read re gluten-free oat matzah, "The matzah may only be made from one of the five species of grain that can become chametz (leavened). These grains are wheat, rye, barley, spelt and oats. Since only these grains can become chametz, only these grains may be used for matzah."

Here's the article from aish.com:

Matzah Alternatives

I found these same five grains listed on Yeshivah University's site, and on Chabad's site:

More on Chametz - Chametz - Passover

If you google it, you can find shmura gluten-free oat matzot and spelt matzot.

My sister makes moroccan fish balls for the gefilte fish as my family decided to become sephardi since the food is better. LOL! She uses potato starch to bind them in lieu of matzah meal. If you eat potatoes, Chairdr, this may also be an option as a binder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast