Thread: Should I make some adjustments to my power routine? page

Mister Gray is offline Junior Member

Should I make some adjustments to my power routine?

Shop Now
    I'm primarily a power lifter in the gym. Average day at the gym lasts an hour with one core lift (Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Hang Clean) with heavy sets like 5x5, 4x3 etc, Pullups around 2x10, Various auxilary lift (dips for example). Hanging leg Lifts, and finished up with around 6 40 yard dashes. My gym time is usually at least 3 times a week (sometimes only twice). My maxes on Bench: 335, Squat: 350, Deads: 340, Hang Cleans: 250 (pitiful compared to my others).

I'm 22 around 190 Pounds, 5'11. I'm well rounded over all (can seen my abs decently). My job has me on my feet all day with decent amount of lifting (Advance Auto Clerk).

My question revolves on my nutrition. An average day of eating with me is pretty much the same daily. An example of a typical meal for me is piece of meat usually close to or exactly 1 lb, around 15 asparaguis spears, half a bell pepper, and a 1/4 a sweet onion stir fryed in a generous amount coconut oil, finally around 2 tbsp's of grass fed butter to dip my meat in. This is followed by close to a 12 hour fast and repeated.

Some days I'll shorten the fast to around 8 hours but overall its usually with 10-12 hours of no food. May eat a big apple or something in between meals during the fast.

With my lifestyle listed above does my diet seem like it could use a tweak or two? My goals are getting stronger, and maintaing my lean muscle mass. Gaining healthy weight is ok to me but merely maintaing what I have is prime objective. I apologize for the lengthy post but I wanted to give you an idea of my lifestyle to clarify what I do for a living.

Thank You

Bump*

Man things get covered up fast. Forgive me for pestering

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    what you're eating sounds fine. for you age, height, weight, and activity level, eating with a little more frequency might help you. but it doesn't sound like your getting week from what you're doing now. maybe modify your feeding and fasting to more of a leangains model and see how that works if your looking to shake things up. you seem to be doing fine though

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I would only add more starch to workout days, sweet potatoes are my favorite. I'm about to have a big ass steak and a sweet potato cooked in coconut oil (finely diced for faster cooking) I just did 4 sets of heavy pull ups, dips and pistols (unweighted single leg squat)

that's all I would really tweak, good on you for having it pretty dialed in so far.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Well, wait, how many of those type of meals do you eat a day?

With your activity level, i do believe that skinless yams, or starchy veg(parnsips for example) are your friend. Perhaps more fruit aswell. Do you eat PWO?

However, if you are attaining your goals then all seems well. If not, then eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Well, wait, how many of those type of meals do you eat a day?
    Like I said it's usually around twice a day every 10-12 hours.

Overall my energy level is pretty good. I feel like I may be peaking in the gym and I have been adding the fruit in more just to see if I notice any change.

I've been toying with the idea of sweet potatoes more recently. When would it best to save them for my post workout/dinner meal? We talking like an 8 ounce or so or less?

Thanks again guys

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Gray View Post
    Like I said it's usually around twice a day every 10-12 hours.

Overall my energy level is pretty good. I feel like I may be peaking in the gym and I have been adding the fruit in more just to see if I notice any change.

I've been toying with the idea of sweet potatoes more recently. When would it best to save them for my post workout/dinner meal? We talking like an 8 ounce or so or less?

Thanks again guys
    I'm not big on measuring food at all. Yesterday I ate one sweet pot the size of my fist, but of course your fist could be bigger/smaller than mine. I guess it looked like about 10oz (imagine a 10oz filet mignon) just cut that sucker and eat it.

Post workout is what most do, but when you eat twice a day (I also do this) then it could be argued that you're eating it pre-your-NEXT-workout ... does that make sense? so don't worry too much about the when, but typically, it's after your workout. The theory is that it replenishes your glycogen stores in your muscles. You don't have to eat a ton of it, try twice a week for a month and see what it does.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, Sweet p[otaoes/yams after a workout are excellent(unless you want to trim bodyfat). Peel the skin off of them, steam for 45 minutes, mash em up. Eat with protein. I don't know what 8oz is since i don't measure anything.