Thread: Lactic Acid page

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member

Lactic Acid

Shop Now
    I am on my 4th day of low carb and I did some cycling sprints this morning. First I am amazed that my legs have anything as I did an hour endurance riding for each of the last 3 days... I felt great.

I noticed that my legs did not "burn" like usual. Is that due to the lack of sugars? I would think the 20 second efforts are more ATP driven so I am not sure if this was a fluke or what.

Any experiences with this?

fishin-frog is offline Member
    Primal won't make you immune to muscle burn or soreness. I find that I recover faster though, even at 40. Could be that you were just having a good day on the bike.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    I am 41! Well I will take the good day then!!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Actually, lactic acid is one of the all time classic examples of conventional "wisdom." It doesn't cause burn nor soreness. A one hundred year mistake. Google it.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jackcomodo is offline Junior Member
    Lactic acid buildup in muscles does not make muscles tired and may even make muscle contract more efficiently, which may increase your endurance. This concept contradicts what most instructors teach in their exercise classes.

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Lactic acid builds up because more sugar catabolism than Oxygen supply from blood is happening, but lactate (the form that actually accumulates) is carried to the liver by the blood long before muscle soreness occurs.

High levels of Potassium is the current theory on muscle soreness.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout