Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I winning the battle against wee beasties? page

mmcc is offline Junior Member

Am I winning the battle against wee beasties?

Shop Now
    Greetings and salutations - I've been eating primal for about a month. I'm losing weight at a good pace, but my inflammatory conditions (psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, depression) are either the same or worse.

This morning, I noticed that my tongue was a pretty gross yellow color. On searching the archives, I found a post that suggested that this was a sign of candida die off, which in the long term is a good thing, but in the short term can make one feel like crapola.

Is this so? What can I be doing to urge the process forward?

If the answer is more dark chocolate, red wine, and black coffee, than I will be especially appreciative.

Thanks!

More thought and research on this makes me gravely doubt that a yeast die off would cause thrush mouth, which is essentially a yeast infection on my tongue. Thoughts from the peanut, err, macadamia nut gallery?

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    What have you been eating?

Seriously, what does a day of food look like for you? Anything probiotic in there?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Usually a couple of eggs on some spinach and other greens for breakfast, a big ol' salad from the work cafeteria salad bar with liberal amounts of chicken, diced egg, bleu cheese, and chopped up walnuts, some tasty meat dish + salad + veggies for dinner, and maybe some red wine and dark chocolate. Yummers.

Not so much on the probiotics. I just went to the local Whole Paycheck and picked up a bottle of something that looked like it had lots of different helpful critters in it.

Oh yeah - various nuts, seeds, and cheese during the day if I'm feeling a mite peckish.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    mmcc, I know nothing about candida, but I like your style. Welcome to the forums!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member
    I don't know about the candida diagnosis but IF it is, I'm pretty positive anti-candida diets don't have dairy, or sugars of ANY kind (including fruit and chocolate and alcohol). If you're willing to forego those things and think they will have a positive effect, maybe that would help? Don't push yourself too far though, sounds like you are doing a great job!

Jase

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Yeah...I dealt with some candida last year and when I went onto a candida diet I got the worst white tongue and ear infection. Those beasties fight back hard and all move to the mouth because on a lower carb diet the richest source of sugars is in the mouth.

Probiotics can help as I recall but sticking with it and being patient is unfortunately the best solution.

Chocolate, coffee and red wine are all going to make it worse. Alcohol is pure food for candida.

Nix the cheese and all forms of dairy (except yogurt) , bleu cheese is the absolute worst of the dairy products as the mold adds fuel to the fire. Hard cheeses are better but again, not until after severe die off symptoms fade

The more pure your diet the faster this will be fixed. protein and low carb veggies and fat

Nuts and fruit should be very very very limited and I wouldnt at all until you are past severe die off.

p.s. - I'm not saying NEVER have any of those things, but I would eat pure for a couple weeks and at least a week after all thrush symptoms disappear.
    Last edited by runnergal; 03-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Dear Runnergal,

I think you may have misread my initial message. I was requesting answers that called for MORE coffee, chocolate, and wine. Sigh...

Plus, no cheese? Things just get worser and worser. Double sigh... I loves me some moldy cheese.

Kidding aside, I appreciate the response, and shall give it a go.

In addition to the diet, could I ask my doc for some antifungals?
    Last edited by mmcc; 03-01-2011 at 02:00 PM.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcc View Post
    Dear Runnergal,

I think you may have misread my initial message. I was requesting answers that called for MORE coffee, chocolate, and wine. Sigh...

Plus, no cheese? Things just get worser and worser. Double sigh... I loves me some moldy cheese.

Kidding aside, I appreciate the response, and shall give it a go.

In addition to the diet, could I ask my doc for some antifungals?
    Antifungals can help but can also give you some side effects. The most common one is of course intestinal distress as most of them kill off the intestinal friendlies as well. When I had thrush my doc gave me a prescription for either Nystatin or Diflucan but said to hold off for a few days unless it became painful or I experienced systemic thrush (i.e. girly yeast problems) Antifungals can ALSO make the problem worse as if it is truly die-off it causes it to die off faster.

The sad thing is wine, chocolate, etc might temporarily make you feel better. If the body gets enough yeasty friendly foods the candida goes back deep and you get the systemic candida issues, but the thrush might die down....until the next time you lower your sugar levels again.

I didnt get severe die off this go round...just mild ear itching and some of the other minor symptoms

Oh...by the way, if it IS thrush it can be contagious so watch the kissing.

OK I need to quit reading this thread, it's making my mouth itch.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast